LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Old 2009-05-16, 6:34pm
Salt Box Beads

Default Printing out tutorials

I was wondering if anyone had noticed a difference in the amount of ink used for tutorials that use a white background or those that use color backgrounds?

I have purchased only Anne's tuts so far ( love them!!) but want to buy two more from another lampworker but noticed she has color backgrounds...and a lot of pics.

I am almost out of color ink and so was just wondering if anyone noticed if it really makes a difference or not??

Thanks
Lorraine
Old 2009-05-16, 7:04pm
I speak Murrini!

What type of printer do you have? Have you considered putting it on a disc and having it printed at Kinko's? Maybe that would end up being less expensive in "ink" and cost overall. Just a thought...

Maybe writing the tutorial author and asking permission to do this in advance would be a good idea, too!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-05-16, 9:05pm
Salt Box Beads

Thank-you De. I could do that.

Lorraine
Old 2009-05-16, 11:44pm
Mad about Glass

I have noticed a difference not only in the amount of ink used but in the size of the file. I was thinking of requesting tutorial writers to please not use the coloured and patterned backgrounds.

Jenn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[url]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-05-17, 3:35am
Knob Creek Glass

On some printer preferences, you can choose "no background color."
Old 2009-05-17, 4:14am
Detail G-Mama!

The ink issue is the reason I don't have background prints or designs in my tutorials. I love the backgrounds, don't get me wrong, but since I'm such a tighwad I knew it was gonna be pricey on the ink cartridges so that's why I don't have backgrounds and just text with the pictures.

Old 2009-05-17, 10:18am
Salt Box Beads

Thank-you Jenn, that is what I thought. At the price of ink added to the tut, I could buy a huge book.

Thank-you Barbara I will check out my preferences and see if I can do that first, if not I can load onto a disc and then take it to staples but there again more time and more costs involved.

Anne, Thank-you so much! Your way is best so far. I feel kind of uncomfortable asking someone to redo their tuts background at this time, I was kinda hoping they would see this thread and announce they did it..LOL

I'am a wimp... I don't want to offend anyone and maybe upset them to the point they think: there is NO pleasing them!!! and quit offering the tuts.

There has been so much controversy about tuts I sure do not want to rock the boat.

Thanks again peeps. Going to check my printer preferences now. Just checked, my printer doesn't have that capability.
Lorraine

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2009-05-17 at 10:38am.
Old 2009-06-07, 6:51am

Some printer programs if you go into the "advanced" or "tabs" part of the "print" section that comes up when you go to print, you can choose all sorts of stuff--like size of type (you can print stuff in 50% size!) or "black & white only" (lose ALL the color inks!) or "print only text" (eliminate all the pictures!) or what-have-you....BEFORE it sends to the printer from the computer....try looking there!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-06-07, 8:51am
Salt Box Beads

Yes..I know..I checked....see my little smiley face hitting the brick wall above?

I may spring for a better printer someday.

Lorraine
Old 2009-06-07, 9:29am
ManBearPig

If anyone would be interested in having tutorials printed, let me know. We have a new digital press at our shop that does a great job printing. Anyone who has seen my marble book knows the type of quality it puts out.

If you are interested, let me know. I can print them and get them back out to you the same day if I get them before 1pm (EST) during the week. Pricing would be less than Kinkos, and we offer a few different styles of binding (staple, plastic coil, etc.).

If there is enough interest, I'll put together a pricing plan and set up a web page where you can upload the file, order, pay, etc. all in one place.

•
•
•
Old 2009-06-07, 1:52pm
Salt Box Beads

That's fantastic!! Thank-you so much. I will do that as I have several more tuts I want to purchase.

Maybe this should be offered where more people can see it?

Lorraine
Old 2009-06-07, 3:44pm
ManBearPig

I'll come up with some pricing and set up a page and then make an "official" announcement post.

•
•
•
Old 2009-06-08, 9:38am
Mary Lockwood

When I first did my jellyfish tutorial I had a colorful background and design elements too. When the first two people mentioned about it taking a lot of ink to print, I removed all the extraneous 'stuff' and re-delivered it to everyone who had bought one. It saved a lot of people the hassle of printing out all the extra graphics, banners and background colors.

I LOVED how my original jellyfish tutorial looked, and to tell you the truth it kinda stung to remove all my hard work- but it was better in the long run. I didn't include any flashy stuff with my subsequent tutorials either.

They don't look fancy, but they are easier to print. With over 100 process images in my big tutorials they take enough ink to print without adding unnecessary stuff to it.

I hope it helps people.
~~Mary

Old 2009-06-09, 5:39am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
When I first did my jellyfish tutorial I had a colorful background and design elements too. When the first two people mentioned about it taking a lot of ink to print, I removed all the extraneous 'stuff' and re-delivered it to everyone who had bought one. It saved a lot of people the hassle of printing out all the extra graphics, banners and background colors.

I LOVED how my original jellyfish tutorial looked, and to tell you the truth it kinda stung to remove all my hard work- but it was better in the long run. I didn't include any flashy stuff with my subsequent tutorials either.

They don't look fancy, but they are easier to print. With over 100 process images in my big tutorials they take enough ink to print without adding unnecessary stuff to it.

I hope it helps people.
~~Mary
Yeah, I've seen some like that as well. That was kind of my motivation for offering to print them for people. I can print them out without a background or with a background and the price doesn't really change much. I use a little more toner, but not enough to really matter.

I'm working on pricing and setting up a site right now to be able to print them for people. Hope to have it up by the end of the week.

•
•
•
Old 2009-06-09, 7:07am
Does it come in purple?

My eldest daughter is a graphic designer, so I can appreciate and admire the beautiful backgrounds. I too prefer the stripped-down versions for printing though, to save ink.

Carlisle Hellcat, OGSI generator, propane
Old 2010-01-09, 9:23am
ManBearPig

Well, with the recent turmoil in my job situation I haven't been able to offer printing for tutorials until now.

If anyone is still interested in having tutorials printed (tutorial authors or tutorial buyers) please let me know by posting here, PMing me, or e-mailing me. If there is enough interest, I'll set up pricing to be able to offer printing for everyone.

•
•
•
Old 2010-01-09, 10:04am
Boro Bum

I work from the computer screen mostly and have only printed the pages I want. So I like the nice backgrounds and stuff on the screen so if authors could have both, a view copy and a print copy that would be the best of both worlds.
Also cosmo so will you price it per page and then like a add-on price if they want it bound ? so what we talking here ? like 5 -10 bucks for a 25 page tut ? will it be 1 side pages or both side ?

AcidFly

Last edited by AcidFly; 2010-01-09 at 10:07am.
Old 2010-01-09, 10:39am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidFly View Post
I work from the computer screen mostly and have only printed the pages I want. So I like the nice backgrounds and stuff on the screen so if authors could have both, a view copy and a print copy that would be the best of both worlds.
Also cosmo so will you price it per page and then like a add-on price if they want it bound ? so what we talking here ? like 5 -10 bucks for a 25 page tut ? will it be 1 side pages or both side ?

AcidFly
It will be either single side or two side. A couple different binding options will be available.

As for price, I have to see what I can do there, but it should be somewhere in that range.

•
•
•
Old 2010-01-09, 11:11am
Boro Bum

Cool let us know this might be your next million dollar idea lol

AcidFly
Old 2010-01-11, 12:17pm
ManBearPig

Got the prices set up. I just have to get the form set up so people can order them and fill in the options they want and get the price before ordering.

I hope to have that done later this week.

•
•
•