Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2012-08-30, 8:42am

Exclamation Newbie here...I have questions, of course

Hello to all of you!
I have been wandering through your posts for...I dunno, years (?) and THANK YOU for all of your in-depth info and your willingness to share/help! I figured it's time to join in since receiving my tutorial videos from Brent Graber. YAY!
I have been doing all sorts of glass for almost 21 years now.
For the first time EVER, something is weird with my flame! I got freaked out enough to call it quits last night....but only for the night.
In the middle of a heart that took me almost an hour, my flame began to jump around, getting fatter longer and then the reverse....my hubby looked at the fuel gauges on both tanks and said the propane gauge was fluxuating wildly.
Has ANYONE had this happen????? WTHeck! I think it's crud in the line. The tank is not low either. I'm used to that.
Here's the pertinent info if it helps:
Torch: RedMax surface mix (better torch suggestions are VERY welcome)
Glass: Borosilicate
Fuel: Large Oxygen tank (again, oxy generator brands, suggestions welcome!)
and Propane tank.
On another note, I need to move my shop soon...does getting LONGER hoses affect pressure?
Thank you in advance and I hope you ALL have a HAPPY day!!! ~Michelle
Old 2012-08-30, 10:17am
Progression in progress

Location: please ask for where i live to send items thank you

Sounds like your regulator just bit the dust to me
Old 2012-08-30, 10:37am
...displaced ocean lover

James, which regulator? The one on the fuel?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Introducing...MY Etsy!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2012-08-30, 1:38pm
Alaska Boro

Is the propane tank fuel shut off valve fully open? And what is the high pressure reading? Should be in the range of perhaps 50 to 120 PSI depending on how much fuel is remaining.

One could also use the "T" handle on the propane regulator to set the fuel low side pressure say at 10 to 15 PSI. Then reset for your lower operating pressure at 5 PSI to see if the issue continues.

As suggest above, it could be a regulator that has seen its better days and needs to be replaced.
Old 2012-08-30, 1:40pm
Retired to the flame

Sound like the fuel pressure regulator.
The regulator can be rebuilt by your local welding Co. If it's a name brand. Do you back the control knob all the way off after each use? If not, the pressure from opening the tank can sometimes blow out the diafram inside the regulator. The manufacturer recommends the control knob be backed out after each use. No one does( myself included) hence the repair kits. Cost about 25 for me to get one rebuilt.
Old 2012-08-30, 1:44pm
Borovangelist

I back mine off after every session. I just don't want to have to buy another reg

As for the question, it sounds like it's sucking air somewhere, like they said, the regulator probably died.

|
|
Old 2012-08-30, 1:45pm
Alaska Boro

"On another note, I need to move my shop soon...does getting LONGER hoses affect pressure?"

The overall length of hose can effect operational characteristics. However, in lampworking, the loss of pressure can be compensated for by simply slightly upping the pressure. i.e. from 5 to 7 PSI as an example. Most likely you will not notice any difference.

Of course, without knowing how "longer" is defined it is difficult to come up with a concise answer.
Old 2012-08-30, 4:50pm

My friends have a dewar in the basement of a 4 story building. They run oxygen line inside of a pvc pipe up 4 flights of stairs to their studio. They haven't experienced any pressure drop. You'll be fine
Old 2012-08-30, 9:55pm
Progression in progress

Location: please ask for where i live to send items thank you

Another bites the dust *guitar riff with heavy bass*

Tags
flame, fuel gauges, propane, torch, troubleshooting