Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2016-04-16, 3:40pm
TJ

Default Not sure where to post: old, refillable cannister and torch head- usable??

As this is both a safety and technical issue more than a heat-related issue, I thought I might ask for help here.
I salvaged this old cannister and torch head from my Grandpa's garage, and thought it might be useful somehow in glass-making as a secondary heat source.
But I looked at it more carefully and see it has a mounting point, which to me looks as if it is meant to be refillable! So I have a bunch of questions:

1. Is there some kind of place that actually does a "fill 'er up" kind of thing directly into an empty cannister? With propane or MAPP-tyoe gas?

2. Given that the torch head simply screws in by hand, if I did manage to fill it, is that at all safe to use, period? (Or is this some ancient discarded way of doing things?)

3. If not okay to use this torch head with this cannister, is there any reason the torch head could not be used just like a hothead? (I am not sure what the difference might be, if any)

4. If usable, would this be identical to a hothead?

Lastly, just out of curiousity, wondering if anyone knows what this might have originally been used for!

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!
Attached Images

My Mission and metier: to mindfully and meticulously master the movement of marvelous molten, both mentally and manually, in order to metamorphosis a melting mass into meretricious, memorable makings.
Old 2016-04-16, 5:06pm
Phill

It looks like a standard plumbers torch to me.

I do not think you will find anyone willing to refill it though.

They have replacement canisters in various types of gas.

Blue like that is propane I think but there are other types of gas like Chemtane, Map Gas and some other mixtures that will be determined by your local laws and regulations.

Take it with you to a local hardware store or even some of the big box hardware stores and you should be able to get someone to give you a short course on what is used where you live.

That does look like a classic old style hot head to me.

I understand that there are some maintenance things that can be done with some versions of those type of torch heads but I don't know if its the new ones that can have parts replaced or if it is the old versions that can have parts replaced.

I think there is a thread or two about them around here some place.
Old 2016-04-16, 5:19pm

You can get an adapter to fill them from a BBQ size tank.

A better plan is to get a 15 pound propane tank and a hose to screw onto the torch head.

You can throw those little things away and buy new ones for $3.
Old 2016-04-17, 9:52am
TJ

Thanks Speedslug and Snoopdog!
My Mission and metier: to mindfully and meticulously master the movement of marvelous molten, both mentally and manually, in order to metamorphosis a melting mass into meretricious, memorable makings.

Tags
hothead, propane, refillable tank, reusable tank, safe, safety, torch, vintage