AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Old 2018-01-27, 8:48am

Default Users of Mega Minor Torch?

Anyone successfully working on mega minor torch with Ox concentrator? I am looking for some help on getting the pressures / settings correct. I am using small propane tank and an EX20 concentrator. I am not having success getting a satisfactory neutral flame. My colors get muddy and any frit I try just fries to black.

I am very inexperienced and would like some trouble shooting tips to determine the cause of my issues - *User Error, *Torch malfunction * Concentrator malfunction * Improper settings.

Hoping to find someone who is happy with this torch - before I chunk it and get something else.

Thanks
Old 2018-01-27, 9:36am
Loving learning

I have a 10 oxycon and use my mega minor with that. I have never tried it with the 5, so am not sure about how it would do.

When you light your torch, watch your flame as you adjust it. If it narrows and you lose the yellow tips, it is oxygenizing. If you have longish yellow tips and it is bushy, it is reducing. Small yellow tips and a flame between narrow and fluffy is neutral.

Do you have a regulator on your propane? It should be set at about 4-6, some people even have luck with 3. I guess it depends on your regulator and tank setup, not sure.

If I get out to the torch, I can try getting a video or pictures of my flame at different settings.
Old 2018-01-27, 6:29pm

Thank you - I was thinking the EX 20 (20 PSI / 10 LPM) should be big enough - good to know you are doing fine with a 10. I do have a regulator on the propane and have tried many combinations of settings on both the propane and concentrator. I will try your tips on how the flame should look and see how it goes.
Old 2018-01-27, 6:48pm
Loving learning

My concentrator is set at 85-90% of max, propane (bbq tank size) as I said around 5 or 6 normally, but some use less. Then I can adjust at the torch to get a good flame for what I am doing.
Old 2018-01-27, 7:27pm
Loving learning

Another thought: Has your torch been cleaned recently, so the fuel and oxygen are being correctly fed to the flame? Are you sure your propane is clean, and your oxygen concentrator is working correctly?

Tags
torch