LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Old 2014-07-05, 6:08am
Dancing in the Flame

Default Help with hot head torch please

So I am now addicted to lampworking. I have about 100 hours in at the studio and have made some "ok" beads but need more practice. I have ordered my nortel torch, kiln and concentrator but it's going to take three weeks to arrive. I have a Bernzomatic TS8000 and want to use it but the torch head doesn't appear to be solid brass. Anyone know if this will work?

I am going to set up in my garage and work with the door open so should have enough ventilation. Just not sure about the torch head.
Old 2014-07-05, 7:06am
Glass-aholic

I don't know about the torch. But it is not a hot head. I know there was one that was made like it commercially available in recent years but have no experience with it. Please research ventilation. You may want to take the next couple weeks to really put your studio together rather than deal with a temp torch that will act nothing like the torch you will be receiving. Maybe put some time into figuring out if/how propane will be pipped in or not, glass storage, work area surfaces, tool orginization and fire codes that may need to be met, and proper ventilation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-07-05, 7:28am
one day at a time

You need to have a fan to vent the fumes away from your face. Try setting up a box fan facing the opposite direction on a table about 3ft from the torch head. Prop something heavy in front of it it so it can't get knocked over onto your flame. I used four bricks, two on each side, stacked two high. Turn fan to medium, and this moves quite a bit of air.
Old 2014-07-05, 8:33am

Most people will say that a box fan and an open garage door doesn't count as proper ventilation. With lampwork it's not a dilution sort of ventilation, but a total removal of all of the air around the torch without allowing it to get back in. People are very careful, for example, that their ventilation exhaust is far away from their make-up air intake, because a lot of the metal and other gases released are seriously dangerous, and while small quantities might not hurt you at first, they build up in your system over time.

Last edited by dusty; 2014-07-05 at 8:36am.
Old 2014-07-05, 9:40am
one day at a time

Hehe...please let me clarify. The box fan set-up is better than nothing if you don't have anything for your first few weeks of getting started, but ideal is a proper ventilation set-up with a blower, ducting, hood, and baffles.
Old 2014-07-05, 9:41am
Senior Moment

Will it work? Basically yes. Will you get the results you seek? Probably not. That torch has no input for oxygen, so your flame will be all fuel. Note a Hothead torch, while single fuel, has added air holes on the side of the torch head.

HTH
Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2014-07-05, 11:23am

Are you in an area that might have other lampworkers? If so, you could try to rent some torch time. I'm afraid that the setup that you are planning will only confuse you and cost you more than you realize in patience, time and the cost of your glass.

Please post your hometown, or a city near you.

Barbara
Old 2014-07-05, 7:01pm
HotFlash Designs

Welcome to the world of lampworking!!!

I have no idea about the torch you mentioned. Just wanted to say welcome. This place is a wealth of knowledge.

Be Curious. Not judgmental.
Old 2014-07-05, 7:23pm
one day at a time

With 100 hours of torch time, I believe you are ready to set up your own work area, and you have already spent the money on the most expensive equipment. That says to me, "I'm ready!".

You can gather all the info you need here to set up a safe working space. A garage is a great place to have a studio! A ventilation system does not have to be expensive, and you can ask questions and get answers about that over on the "Safety" part of the forum.

Good luck, and please don't hesitate to ask questions!
Old 2014-07-06, 10:06am
Dancing in the Flame

Thanks to everyone for all the comments. Ventilation is not an issue. The studio is all set up in that respect including work surface, venting, storage, lighting etc. it's just. The torch I was wondering about. The actual head I have does have the vent holes in it. My concern was that all the ounces I have seen online are solid brass but mine is a combination of brass and steel which is what concerned me.
Old 2014-07-06, 10:17am
Senior Moment

No worries in terms of that torches ability to take temps; it's rated to take the temps produced by propane and Mapp gas (no longer in production; replaced by MapPro aka propylene) and remember, the mandrels you use are steel so the metals in the construction shouldn't be an issue. Not sure the holes are going to provide the oxy mix you need tho. The Hothead was designed specifically for lampwork; the one you have now isn't.

That all being said, it'll be a HUGE difference once your new torch arrives!

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2014-07-07, 6:29am
Gentleman of Leisure

The Bern-somatic torch will probably be a disappointment as burner head/flame is about 1/2 the size of "Hot Head" or "Magtorch 245C" (hothead work alike)....

Just try to keep frustration level to minimum of you already have that torch and wait patiently for new "hot" torch to arrive....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2014-07-07, 9:55am
JennyD

To be honest, I don't think it will work as a hothead. Ask me how I know! lol

I lost my hothead torch in the move this last Feb. This weekend I got the green light to set up a "travel torch" that I can use in my patio. I was super excited and went out and got my stand, nailed the aluminum sheet on it, got my extinguisher out and some glass to warm up and get going, then I start looking everywhere for my hothead and it was nowhere to be found. Even went up to the last house I was at to see if it was still there...nope! I placed an order for a new hothead but I wanted to Torch!

So on sat I bought one of those Bernzomatic ones at Home Depot and said eh its temporary so lets see if it works...well it melts the glass...burned off the frit I used and it does not get hot enough to work with the glass without burning the color off. It was really disappointing and I figured I am not wasting anymore glass on this torch, I should be getting my hothead today.

...I'd rather be beading!

Old 2014-07-07, 11:16am

Keep it to make Creme Brulee!

Barbara
Old 2014-07-16, 1:19pm
Dancing in the Flame

thanks to eveyone for their guidance and suggestions. I broke down... and bought a hot head - big difference already, and now I've heard that my kiln and NOrtel torch and concentrator will be in next week. !!! (the equivalent of jazz hands which means I am happy happy!

Thanks again!
Old 2014-07-16, 1:25pm
Dancing in the Flame

I should say that I did manage to make a hollow bead on that bernomatic I had - it's "dirty" looking but considering it is the first time I attempted a hollow bead... not bad.

Attached Images

Old 2014-07-16, 10:14pm
Glass-aholic

Wow, can't wait to see what you are doing on the other torch

You are working too close to the flame and too fast. (That's why it's dirty)

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-07-21, 6:39pm
Dancing in the Flame

Thanks Jaci - I think you are right - too close and too fast - it made the glass darken. My new torch, kiln and concentrator are here - finally!! I am so excited - but still need patience as I wait for the ventilation to be installed. jCan you hear my fingers drumming against the table? LOL - so need to learn patience.

Tags
hot head, lampworinig, torch