No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2015-01-29, 11:14am
**Fuzzy Logic**

Default Studio Bldg

I'm looking into getting a storage building that I can turn into a studio for my glass (and finally get tanked propane!) Hopefully, one day I'll be able to get it wired and will be able to install a kiln also. It would also serve as my workshop for other odds and ends, including some wood-working.
I'm wondering if anyone has any advice they would like to share about whether a wood or metal building would be better?
Thought, ideas, experience?
Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FB friends
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-01-29, 9:24pm
Phill

Heather, if your like the rest of us, budget is going to have more to do with what you can get done and when than anything else.

We already talked about wood being the better choice due to weather and noise in the bathroom thread but I was thinking in terms of smaller sheet tin "riding mower sheds" when I wrote that.

I have not done any real research into some of the metal out buildings that famers get for storage so you might want to look into that.
They may have models that can span the size you have available and you can build a weather shelter within one that will keep you warm enough in the winter and cool enough in the summer at a later time.

The welded wire trusses they have for these things only need a cement footing every six or twelve feet and you can work with a dirt floor for the time being and put down a wood floor in the years ahead as you can afford it.

Lots of research and multiple choices.

My advice is to go as big as you can afford now and add features as you can pay for it later.

Spray foam insulation can be had even as a do it your self thing and it is a good value if you plan the details ahead of time.

Just be sure your ventilation is enough and that your gases are done properly and pretty much everything else is "how much do I want xxxxx and when can I pay for it" details.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2015-01-29 at 9:27pm.
Old 2015-02-02, 9:06am

Heather,

about 13 years ago, I had a 24 x 24 metal building built to accommodate the glass shop - has a cement floor and electric and has absolutely been fantastic. In 3 years, I am relocating and will be moving my glass studio to another city in Nevada. For that building I am going with a 14 x 40 from this site: www.oldhickorybuildings.com (playhouse package)

They are in the area and will build on site for about 10 percent more than listed price, since the widest pre-built building they can move into new location due to road is 11 feet wide. When all is said and done - the metal building from 13 years ago will cost exactly the same for me as the new wood shed building. I will have some other things to do like placing tile floor in so that the kilns and any glass I drop doesn't burn through the floor. There will be more maintenance with the wood bldg. than with the metal but the cost for the wood bldg. is going to be lower than cost of a metal bldg. in that location so that mainly is swaying my decision towards the wood. Otherwise, I would definitely go with the metal again. Additionally the town I will be moving to is more of a western mining ghost town, gone artsy fartsy so the wood will fit in better with the look of the community versus metal.

Last edited by nevadaglass; 2015-02-02 at 9:16am.
Old 2015-02-02, 11:08am
**Fuzzy Logic**

Phill and Danny,
Thank you both for such in depth and thoughtful answers! I have a very limited space available for a building, so I'm still working through logistics and options. I really do appreciate all of the additional information!!

FB friends
Old 2015-02-02, 11:11am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DogsPhoto View Post
Phill and Danny,
Thank you both for such in depth and thoughtful answers! I have a very limited space available for a building, so I'm still working through logistics and options. I really do appreciate all of the additional information!!

Heather - that playhouse package from www.oldhickorybuildings.com comes in an 8 x 8 or 8 x 10 as the smallest and they go up from there in terms of width and length....includes door and 2 windows - the porch is considered in the size so if you get an 8x10 - 4 feet of it is porch so its really 8 x 6
Old 2015-02-02, 12:11pm

Those pre built sheds have me thinking I want one. I promised my wife that when I get a bigger torch it will no longer live inside the house.
Old 2015-02-02, 1:05pm

I originally was thinking about a 12 x 32 which if I remember correctly was like 8500 but now I have decided on the 14 x 40 which is around 12k ( which includes the extra 600 I will pay for increase snow load option)and an extra window - If I remember correctly from the pricing sheet - the 8 x 10 was around 2 - 3k

Only gotcha is the wood floor so I am either going to tile it or lay down the concrete board for tile that you can get at HD or Lowes

The beauty of these is that they are totally customizable - metal or shingle roof, painted sides, extra windows, bigger door, loft, etc. and their price sheet lists all of the options and how much they are. Normally it includes free delivery and setup if its in a certain mile range ( like 32 miles or something from their dealers which are all over the country) Heck we even have a dealer for them here in Elko, NV!!!

Last edited by nevadaglass; 2015-02-02 at 1:09pm.
Old 2015-02-02, 6:19pm
**Fuzzy Logic**

Yes, that's the wood building I'm looking at. Here they are touted as Amish built sheds. The same thing though. And a 10x16 runs around 3k delivered. (And would JUST fit in my available spot)
And they're so darn cute!!

FB friends