Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2016-01-24, 12:58pm

Default DO feed the Savants!

Hello, new member, first thread.
Consider this post toll bait, because I bet they are about to start coming out of the woodwork, I hate them, I hope that either they are rare here, or dealt with properly.

I am a savant. I have regular moments of genius, but have small problems like forgetting what day it is, and mostly minor stuff like that.
A friend decided to get me into glass blowing, however it turned out that he was not a person I could work with due to layers of attitude problems.

Here's the deal:
I have had a whole 5 minutes on a torch, and in my studies I have found at least 3 or 4 major things that NOBODY is going - with pipes anyway, and I am not in it just to make pipes. These techniques are also things that in their own way are simple, but things that the vast majority of glass blowers simply would not be able to do in the end.
This gives me, a future glass artist of some sort, enormous potential advantages. However, I have found myself in a unique situation...
Because of my particular needs, I am not going to be able to do it like you guys do. I am going to be using the equivalent of a Petrogen torch, as well as possibly using HHO hydrogen; along with techniques and gear that nobody has likely used in near a hundred years.
I also have to do everything myself, without any training, and am also goig to have to build my own torches from scratch. Everything likely from more or less ornate brass, to fit in with my theme of being a Magi, which I re-spelled to be sure I could have a unique name.

No problem. I can do that, already started.

I would like to have some back-n-forth with anyone gifted or particularly knowledgeable about using air-gasoline, oxy-gasoline or petrogen, oxy-hydrogen, and/or hydrazine.

I would likely be getting into making custom kilns and torches, but since almost nobody uses gasoline in any way, not much of a market there I assume. However, if I came up with something truly special, what are the chances that others would see the value and benefits of doing so?

I would also like to find the most gifted guru of glass in the area of Medford, Oregon to possibly team up with, because if I can do some of the stuff I think I can, I don;t want to give away my secrets to just anybody.

Being that most people do not understand savants, it may make no sense when I say I know what the hell I am doing, despite only having 5 minutes on a torch, a complete lack of real experience, and dealing with stuff that almost nobody deals with - because I am also a visionary - I can see the path, I know where to go, I just need to find my way to where I have what I need and can do what I want.

After building a couple of gasoline based-torches, my next project will have to be a very special type of kiln to work with flat glass to make the raw material, which will be a little like a "glove box" because I will be dealing with hazardous materials - no not the stuff you are using, really way-out stuff I will not even post publicly about - yet.

Please spare me the stuff about I have no experience, I supposedly know nothing,yada yada ydada, because I really DO know where I am going.
I appreciate any general helpful feedback, and no "constructive criticism" which is an oxy-moron anyway.
Old 2016-01-24, 1:29pm
Back to 👊 1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Don't make me cranky, I WILL "chuck a tanty!" a la PerfectDeb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2016-01-24, 2:07pm

Just figure in that safety should always come first. Particularly if you're planning on selling these.

Old 2016-01-24, 2:43pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

And insurance - you will need to have excellent insurance.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2016-01-24, 4:28pm
HotFlash Designs

I'd love to see one of your hand made torches. Sounds interesting!

If you are making pipes, is there any chance that your glass of choice may be harmful to the end user? something to keep in mind.

Best of luck, and please share your progress.

Be Curious. Not judgmental.
Old 2016-01-24, 7:45pm
Slogan Challenged...

What they said ^^

A lot of us are not at that level of dialogue. However, there are some around who know quite a bit. Perhaps they will see this.
Also try
The Melting Pot
http://www.talkglass.com/forum/forum.php
Hot Glass talk
http://talk.craftweb.com/index.php

They have lots of folks who work with different glasses or equipment, might be able to help you.

But don't anticipate problems. That can make people uninterested in helping you. Just say you are looking for some advice in torch or glass development, and let them talk with you and gauge for themselves what they think of your experience or ideas. Remember if they are engaging in your projects that there might be a concern about liability.
Good luck

Facebook:

Etsy:

Last edited by KJohn; 2016-01-24 at 9:17pm.
Old 2016-01-24, 8:53pm

Good Luck!
Old 2016-01-24, 10:31pm
Flame Dames Rule!

I think I love you.

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2016-01-25, 11:26am
Dix Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjai View Post

Please spare me the stuff about I have no experience, I supposedly know nothing,yada yada ydada, because I really DO know where I am going.

This post is confusing.
Are you looking for assistance from a mentor?
Or, do you have it ALL figured out?
Please clarify.
Old 2016-07-07, 4:56am

Because it is difficult to gauge the intent of text due to the fact that you can't hear what is being said people can misinterpret the message. You can end up with a wide range of reactions. My first reaction (to be honest and not necessarily PC) is to ask if you identify strongly with Sheldon Cooper.
You might get more help from people in a face to face approach where the signal is clearer. Best of luck in your new endeavor.

Andrea
NE Missouri
Old 2016-07-07, 5:40am

First... welcome to LE... Some may not understand your post and that is ok.. We are all on our own level of intelligence and it appears that your level is far above mine and I will not question/judge what your trying to state.. Its a little confusing but I believe your reaching out to try and connect with someone on your own level and that's wonderful. Some may take it the wrong way and I believe you may be used to that. I hope you can connect with someone who is on the same level as you and do great things for the glass community. In the meantime be safe and careful as things can go wrong very quickly as you may already know. Hope you find the person who you are reaching out to find and please post your achievements on here as we are always willing to learn new things. Maybe check out www.talkglass.com. Best of luck and Blessed Be.
Old 2016-07-07, 9:45am

Old thread. OP seems to have moved on.
Old 2016-07-07, 12:42pm
Phill

It would seem then that the tales of savants not being able to communicate with non savants has been proven yet again.

There is a reason that folks are not using gasoline as a lampworking torch fuel.

In fact there has been much said about the idea that if gasoline were to be invented today the government would proclaim as hazardous as uranium and ban its use by anyone not licensed by the military because it is such a hazardous material.

As for the hydrazine an entire country tried using it during World War II and it ate the skin off the poor souls handling it before it could be used in the machines it was being made for.

I just hope that Madjai has not become one of those mysterious explosions that no one ever figures out what happened because there was not enough evidence left to hold funeral rites over.
Old 2016-07-08, 5:16pm
Mebmer

Please update.
Old 2016-07-09, 9:18am
Dix Harrison

I'm a "plain-speaker." "Because most people don't understand..." what a plain-speaker is, what I am about to say may cause your paranoia to flare.

The self-described behaviors and the attitudes revealed in your writing make me believe your tendencies run more toward being psychotic than a savant.

Furthermore, I am tickled by the absolute certainty that there is NOTHING like the medium of glass to show you how inept you really are and how much you have to learn.
Old 2016-07-09, 10:09am
Flame Dames Rule!

Personally, I think this person was pranking us...

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2016-07-09, 11:21am

maybe some of us
Old 2016-07-11, 12:04am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamsincolor View Post

ask if you identify strongly with Sheldon Cooper.

Magma Beads .

Tags
custom, diy, gasoline, guru, hydrazine, hydrogen, kiln, petrogen, technique, torch, whacko