Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-06-25, 8:18am
burnin' glass just becuz

Default HELP! losing metallic finish on dsp?

hi folks,

do any of you ever have trouble maintaining/preserving that lovely gunmetal finish on dsp (dark silver plum)?

i'm working on an order and a couple days ago made a couple goddess beads using dsp shards and rods (for the first time) but this morning i noticed on one the metallic finish on the dsp has started to fade away in some areas and the the glass is just reverting to a deep opaque purple (which also pretty but not the look i'm going for). On the other bead that i had soaking the metallic dsp finish has almost completely disappeared

Is this normal? am i supposed to do something to preserve this finish? I'd thought once it was done it would just stay that way.

I'm kinda concerned as this custom order is due by the weekend and i'm now going to have to remake the beads but i'm now also worried about delivering a product with an unstable finish...

Help?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2009-06-25, 8:25am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Do not soak DSP! The metals and other chemicals in tap water will remove the finish.

I clean my DSP beads in soapy water as soon as they are cooled down from annealing and I don't let them sit in the water for more than a few minutes. I hand-clean them with a diamond bit.

Old 2009-06-25, 9:37am
burnin' glass just becuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Naos* View Post
Do not soak DSP! The metals and other chemicals in tap water will remove the finish.

I clean my DSP beads in soapy water as soon as they are cooled down from annealing and I don't let them sit in the water for more than a few minutes. I hand-clean them with a diamond bit.
ahh, well that explains it but then what happens once the bead is sold? won't the finish completely wear off in a few weeks (leaving a much annoyed client)?

Also, have you ever tried preserving/protecting the finish with some sort of spray or paint on finish? i have some of that renaissance wax... i'm thinking this might be just the time to pull it out and use it... anyone tried this or have any other suggestions?

Old 2009-06-25, 9:42am
burnin' glass just becuz

another question... i also used Triton on the beads. does this glass have the same issue re maintaining the metallic finish?

the whole design of this bead set is based on keeping the metallic highlights... (siigh)

Old 2009-06-25, 9:54am

I have noticed that the metallic finish on these glasses can be buffed off. It's on the surface of the glass and apparently, it's not permanent. I don't know what general wear and tear would do. I have never tried to coat the glass to preserve it. Sorry, not much help.

Old 2009-06-25, 10:01am

Don't know how much this will help, as I have yet to complete a "5 year wear test" with these, and I don't use my stash of DSP very often (note to self...) But as I test and work the TAG reducing glasses, I do find that some finishes are more durable than others. In general, if I reduce a bead that still has a little bit of a glow to it (below an orange glow but still showing it's heat) I get a finish that seems to go a little deeper into the glass layers. When I reduce some colors that have cooled off too much, they either don't take the sheen much at all, or it can burn right off, and once cooled, can buff off. But when I reduce with more heat in the bead it seems to go more than one-molecule-deep, if you know what I mean. I suppose it is worth a try, since you are not entirely happy with these anyway? It does seem to me that any kind of spray coating would wear off, too.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2009-06-25, 10:48am

I have no info on DSP but would metallic black work better, maybe.
Old 2009-06-25, 10:48am
Yeah me!

I have a skeleton key that I put DSP on and it never even got wet or anything and it has lost most of it's metallic finish.

Old 2009-06-25, 10:50am
Yeah me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
I have no info on DSP but would metallic black work better, maybe.
I love metallic black! I have used it many times and can get some great colors with it, much like DSP! I haven't ever had any issues with it.

Old 2009-06-26, 10:24am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Evelyn, I have some DSP beads that I've had for years and the finish is still nice and bright. I just make sure customers know not to get ANY beads with a metallic finish wet. Don't wear it in the shower or swimming. If you get caught in the rain, that's ok. I also think humidity affects these finishes so more humid climates should keep these beads stored in a dry area (box, etc) when not worn.

Faux Peacock Pearls made from glass (which I suspect is the same glass as DSP) have a finish that doesn't wear off if treated well.

Last edited by *Naos*; 2009-06-26 at 10:27am.
Old 2009-06-26, 6:01pm
burnin' glass just becuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Naos* View Post
Evelyn, I have some DSP beads that I've had for years and the finish is still nice and bright. I just make sure customers know not to get ANY beads with a metallic finish wet. Don't wear it in the shower or swimming. If you get caught in the rain, that's ok. I also think humidity affects these finishes so more humid climates should keep these beads stored in a dry area (box, etc) when not worn.

Faux Peacock Pearls made from glass (which I suspect is the same glass as DSP) have a finish that doesn't wear off if treated well.
i've been wondering what to tell the client when i hand over the order this weekend and really worried that the finish would disappear in a few weeks. The beads are a set for a wedding gift so it's REALLY important that the dsp stays metallic and shiny.

i'll add that info and include some plastic bags for storage. thanks amber!

Old 2009-06-27, 8:17am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

One more thing, anneal DSP at 920 - like any other silver glass - higher temps can burn off the metallic finish and can also start that process - that may be what we're seeing here if you're annealing at 960.