Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-06-27, 5:21pm
Glassy Broad :-)

Default PLEASE

HELP ME!

I see such wonderful Ivory Stringer work in this place, and I adore it! I however don't understand how come it looks so SMOOTH! Every time I do this, and apply the stringer, it's all...lumpy bumpy gnarly not to mention pitted beyond belief.
So, am I doing something wrong or what???
Thanks in advance,
Hugs,
Nita

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2009-06-27, 7:00pm

Hi Nita ... well it depends on the type of ivory (and your technique). Firstly dark ivory is more lumpy ... then the vetrofond ivory is more creamy than the effetre on the whole that is. Ivory is not the easiest to start with ... but if you've mastered other stringers that are stiffer then the transistion to ivory isn't so hard.

Finding the sweet spot of the flame is the key too ... work on the edge of the flame and not directly in it ... Corina Tettinger has a dvd that shows stringer control well I think.

hth
sadie

Old 2009-06-27, 7:09pm
Yeah me!

Corina does have a DVD, I have seen it and it is great! There are a lot of things she does and you will say "duh, why didn't I think of that"? I use Moretti Ivory and I don't really have a problem with it but I always make sure that I work it cooler since it melts so easily.

Old 2009-06-27, 7:21pm

Thanks you two, but that not's my question, LOL!!! I CAN make stringers like no ones business, truely! What I'm asking is, when I APPLY the silvered stringer onto a bead, that's when it gets all pitty...is this normal? And why does it look so satin soft on everyone elses beads?
HUGS
Nita

Old 2009-06-27, 7:25pm
Life is change. Love it

Are you talking about silvered ivory stringer? That is very difficult to apply raised, it is brittle and breaks easily, I never used it for raised detail, only for melted in work

Old 2009-06-27, 7:29pm

Yes Carolyn, SIS indeed. I don't want it raised, when I melt it into the base bead it pits and is all rough. Not smooth and pretty as I've seen done...I'm so sorry that I didn't phrase this correctly. I'm a dunce!
HUGS
Nita

Old 2009-06-27, 8:18pm

Sounds like you might be using silver foil instead of silver leaf. The foil pits more.

Old 2009-06-30, 7:38am

Thanks Lisa, sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this...
I believe I found the problem...it's NOT silver leaf...(I believe)
I got it from Michaels, and while it may have some silver in it, it is probably faux silver...aw well, better luck next time, and Thanks Sheri for letting me pick your brain!
Nita

Old 2009-06-30, 9:20am
Yeah me!

Nita, a really good source of silver foil is Glass Diversions. Robin has great prices!