AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-09-24, 8:32am

Question Clear glass rod w/ colored center..?

Hey All,

I am working on a HH, using 104. I recenlty recieved so glass from a fellow lampworker (***THANKS***). Some of the glass is clear, with a colored center. How in the world do I use it? I know that sounds silly, but I tried with one rod before, and it was a disaster! Any infor/advice would be great! Thanks!!!
Old 2009-09-24, 8:49am
RAH!

Sounds like filigrana! Is the coloured core a plain colour of glass, or is it sparkley? You can get just normal glass surrounded by clear, or aventurine (which is sparkley gold/blue/green mica-y stuff).

Use the glass like normal but beware it tends to be a bit shocky, the aventurine kind even mroe shocky than the normal filigrania
Old 2009-09-24, 8:50am

Filigrana is shocky. You need to preheat it or at least heat it very slowly as you start.

It is hard to use. I still have most of mine from an assortment kit ordered in the late 1980s.

Steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SteveWright; 2009-09-24 at 8:54am. Reason: duplicate stuff duplicated in a simultaneous post
Old 2009-09-24, 8:52am

Charli is right, I forgot about adventurine filigrana. You have to suit up for that stuff.

Steve

Old 2009-09-24, 8:54am

Yep, very shocky. If your kiln is nearby, stick your filigrana rods in the kiln before you turn it on and let them preheat as your kiln comes up to temp.

If you don't have the kiln option, do lots and lots of flashing in the back flame to warm it up slowly and then just use is as you would any rod. You'll wind up with clear beads with lines of color inside... there are some nice and interesting beads around made with filigrana. For example, if you have access to Corinna's book Passing the Flame, you will find a nice filigrana heart bead with instructions inside.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2009-09-24, 8:58am

Can anyone post pics of filigrania beads?
Old 2009-09-24, 9:04am
Flame Dames Rule!

I only use Filigrana for components.

You can heat the ends of a filigrana rod and pull out stringers. The black is great for bug legs, and the green for grass or flower stems.

And if you put two or three rods/pieces together and make a twisty, those are fabulous in aquarium beads. Have fun playing!

*s*

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Last edited by SharonP; 2009-09-24 at 9:04am. Reason: spelling
Old 2009-09-24, 10:01am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonP View Post
I only use Filigrana for components.

You can heat the ends of a filigrana rod and pull out stringers. The black is great for bug legs, and the green for grass or flower stems.

And if you put two or three rods/pieces together and make a twisty, those are fabulous in aquarium beads. Have fun playing!

*s*
Hmm...I like that idea! I haven't made twisties yet, and my stringers need work (they are REALLY skinny!). Can't wait to try this!
Old 2009-09-24, 10:15am

Home on my lunch hour so here are 2 quick photos....

Sue
Old 2009-09-24, 10:16am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue in Maine View Post
Home on my lunch hour so here are 2 quick photos....

Sue
Well, I feel special! thanks! I love the look of the heart! The beads are so pretty. Thank you for posting the pics!
Old 2009-09-24, 10:53am

You are very welcome. The heart isn't perfect but I was pleased with it and made it into something for me. Kinda nice to be nice to myself now and then.

Sue
Old 2009-09-24, 1:55pm
Yeah me!

I like to make twisties with filigrana too. I have made some pretty cool disc beads and hollows with them too, I will see if I have a pic...

Old 2009-09-24, 2:11pm

The only thing you really need to worry about with fliigrana is the exposed part of the color. That tends to fry & devitrify when it's exposed to the flame, so use care when you end your wind-on... you'll want to 'tuck' the end of it in with a little extra clear. But it is excellent for making thin lines, because the transparent encasement keeps the lines separated. And like Sharon said, it's great for bug legs and things because the lines or legs appear to be thinner than they actually are - that makes them a little more durable than they look. ;-D

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2009-09-24, 2:40pm

Thank you all. Now can you point me in the direction of tuts on how to make twisites...? And also, Ihave expiremented on making stringer, but it always turns out SUPER thin. What gives?
Old 2009-09-24, 3:05pm
honorary bead lady

There is also striking color that is more clear with a colored center

As far as twisties and pulling stringer...
http://www.flamewerks.com/tutorials/...o_tutorial.htm
Old 2009-09-24, 3:09pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
There is also striking color that is more clear with a colored center

As far as twisties and pulling stringer...
http://www.flamewerks.com/tutorials/...o_tutorial.htm
Uhh, yeah, about that. Wow! That looks SOOO complicated! It's gonna be fun trying to figure that out....Thank you for the link..Wish me luck!
Old 2009-09-24, 3:50pm

This one is the cobalt blue and green white core filigrana made into a twistie, then into a bead:

This is the green with white core filigrana encased in Gaia:

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2009-09-24, 4:08pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane (clarus) View Post
This one is the cobalt blue and green white core filigrana made into a twistie, then into a bead:

This is the green with white core filigrana encased in Gaia:

-Diane
Wow..those are REALLY pretty!
Old 2009-09-24, 6:12pm
Ad astra per aspera

I like making twisties with filigrana, then applying them as a stringer.
Attached Images

Old 2009-09-24, 7:05pm
Happiness is....

as far as making stringer a bit thicker, let it cool a bit before yo pull, I'm working on that myself, and sometimes I let it cool too much and only get a stringer that's 4-6 inches long. whoops waited too long...PPP and they'll start working for ya.....

I love the filigrana pics ladies, Sue the heart is beautiful.

A Crickett and 2 5lp oxycons
Old 2009-09-25, 3:07pm

Here is a link to my tutorial with lots of photos:

http://www.tumbleweedglass.com/cane.html

Steve

Old 2009-09-25, 3:46pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWright View Post
Here is a link to my tutorial with lots of photos:

http://www.tumbleweedglass.com/cane.html

Steve
Thank you!
Old 2009-09-25, 3:56pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fannydotson View Post
And also, Ihave expiremented on making stringer, but it always turns out SUPER thin. What gives?
For me, the best way is to melt the gather, bring it out of the flame, and count to seven while flipping the gather over and back to keep it from slumping. (without twisting.) THEN pull. ;-D

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2009-09-26, 9:12am

For thicker stringers, go cooler on the gather and pull slowly at first. All of my encasing clear is pulled from a blob of peeled glass and is essentially a stringer.

Here is me making one on my back porch. There are Boat-Tail Grackles raising a fuss, my dogs barking and a poor quality video to put up with, but you can see how I make a fat stringer of clear for encasing:

My Video

Steve