LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-07-14, 9:37pm

Default Bead release dissolver?

Of all my searching I've yet to come across a product that can dissolve or remove heat treated bead release inside the bead. Is there a product available that can do this? Would you use it if there was? I'd assume that the majority of lampworkers would use a product like this since it would save you a lot of time from cleaning them, which if you make a lot of beads can be lengthy and isn't particularly great for the wrist.

If this product isn't available is it because no one has come up with it yet maybe by lack of available things that could successfully get rid of the bead release without harming the bead? Are there other methods of cleaning the bead release that make the need of this product irrelevant? From my understanding the only way to clean bead release is to use a diamond coated file or something of the like. After cleaning armies of beads every week I've set out to find something that will clean them at a fraction of the time.
Old 2010-07-14, 11:05pm
I speak Murrini!

Find it, and we shall come...

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-07-14, 11:58pm
Cat Winx

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Find it, and we shall come...
hehe.. (what De said! ;}

~Rachel Cat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-07-15, 12:06am
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

I'd be very interested if there was a product that dissolved bead release as long as it played nice with my silver glass beads. Even weak acids will take that beautiful finish right off along with the crud. Ask me how I know, lol!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-07-15, 5:45am
Lampworkaholic!

Elbow grease is the only thing I have found. Krag Mudd comes out very easily but isn't strong enough for boro or beads that are worked a long time. For those I mix in some Blue Sludge.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-07-15, 6:27am

Haven't tried it but Paula at VenBead sells "Jenny's Spiffy Bead Hole Cleaner". It is a graphite compound that scrubs the inside. You dip a clean mandrel in and then run it up and down inside the bead.

I just soak and scrub with a diamond file.

I just did some initial testing with ABRs new release. I used it with soft and boro. It held up to my torture at the torch and it cleaned fairly easily out of the beads (and completely too).

If I'm doing transparents and want really clean holes I use Dirty Louie's. But you have to dip right before you torch, flame dry and any unused mandrels are useless. It also doesn't hold up well for manipulations (for me anyways).

Old 2010-07-15, 6:29am

Also, another vendor here. Someone help me with the name ... maybe Artco. Sells diamond file bits for the dremel that are sized for bead cleaning. They are pricey (being diamond and all) about $25 each but I know a couple lampworkers that swear by them.

Old 2010-07-15, 6:37am
Did someone say SALE?

Do ultrasonic cleaning machines do the trick? If it worked, that would be super-easy!

How about baking soda like Jenny's bead hole cleaner? Just dip the mandrel in water and then run it thru the bead. Baking soda is somewhat abrasive.

Now I want to leave work to go home and try!
Old 2010-07-15, 7:31am
Gentleman of Leisure

How about some acidic "colas" (coke - pepsi) ..... There was a lot of discussion some time back about using it to cause stuck beads to come loose off mandrels....

Also this diamond file set from HF has a (1) great long tapered diamond file for cleaning bead holes, unfortunately there is not a real lot of use for other 4 files in set...

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece...-set-6988.html

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-07-15, 10:09am
It's all about the color.

I haven't tried coke or pepsi, but I have tried vinegar and it didn't really do the trick. I use Fusion bead release.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2010-07-15, 10:23am
I'm a lilac!

Cola will remove the luster from reduced silver-glass beads... just a heads-up!

Old 2010-07-15, 5:24pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Go to www.harborfreight.com, to the rotary tool catagory and look for the '80 piece rotary tool kit' item #97626. It is a cheap version of a dremel and it comes with 20 diamond burr bits, along with a whole bunch of other bits that I currently have no use for. But, for $9.99 it is one of the best buys I've ever seen. Of those 20 diamond burr bits, a few are good for beads made on a 3/32" mandrel. IMO they work so much better than the long pointy tapered diamond file things. Also, you can get diamond burr bits from dental supply houses-for like $1 each.

I have a 'BeadReamer' (I think from Artco) that I use first on my barrel beads. Then if I need any touching up I use the much shorter diamond burr bits. The BeadReamer works great in my Dremel but I can't use it in the rotary tool above because the BeadReamer does not slide deeply enough into the above rotary tool.

The BeadReamer is great, BUT for me it doesn't work as advertised. My impression from reading the literature that comes with it is that it is designed to be just a TINY bit thicker than 3/32", so that it will shave off the bead release and just a tiny bit of glass to give you a totally clean hole. But, when I dip my 3/32" mandrel into the bead release and then make a bead, the thickness of the bead release on the mandrel causes the hole in the bead to be a little bit bigger than 3/32" + a TINY bit. So, with my beads, the BeadReamer fits a little loose in my bead holes and thus doesn't quite clean them as advertised.

My next step is to try Jenny's Spiffy Bead Hole Cleaner. Months ago I had asked Paula at Venbead what's so good about Jenny's, and Paula's response was short, sweet and simple.. 'It works'.

Old 2010-07-15, 5:46pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamplighter View Post
Also, another vendor here. Someone help me with the name ... maybe Artco. Sells diamond file bits for the dremel that are sized for bead cleaning. They are pricey (being diamond and all) about $25 each but I know a couple lampworkers that swear by them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmkcpa View Post
I have a 'BeadReamer' (I think from Artco) that I use first on my barrel beads. Then if I need any touching up I use the much shorter diamond burr bits. The BeadReamer works great in my Dremel but I can't use it in the rotary tool above because the BeadReamer does not slide deeply enough into the above rotary tool.

I wish I could say that these are from me, but they're not.

You're talking about the BeaDreamer, from Art in The Round.

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2010-07-15, 5:57pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

My apologies, Artco.

Old 2010-07-15, 5:57pm
sunscreen me baby

I tried an ultrasound cleaner. Didn't work.

~

Old 2010-07-15, 6:09pm
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

I bought a pack of 30 1/16" diamond bits for my foredom from Widget Supply for $10 three years ago and I've got 25 left still... I use them on all of my beads, no matter what size. They last a long time and the beads clean out pretty fast.

Old 2010-07-15, 8:13pm
Glass-aholic

the efferecient (sp?) tabs that they use to clean false teeth work OK. not magic but loosens the stubborn stuff. It may work for you, depending on the bead release you have. You have to soak them over night at least.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-07-15, 8:45pm
Life is change. Love it

I have been using a dremel and diamond bit for years. It isn't such a big deal, and I certainly wouldn't be interested in a chemical solution.

Old 2010-07-16, 12:18pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtcoInc View Post
I wish I could say that these are from me, but they're not.

You're talking about the BeaDreamer, from Art in The Round.

Malcolm
Thanks Malcolm.

Couldn't remember where I saw them. But I was purusing several sites and yours was one of them.

Must of been wishful thinking.

Old 2010-07-16, 3:09pm
It's all about the color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaci View Post
the efferecient (sp?) tabs that they use to clean false teeth work OK. not magic but loosens the stubborn stuff. It may work for you, depending on the bead release you have. You have to soak them over night at least.
Sadly, it doesn't work for Fusion.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2010-07-16, 3:28pm
Peerless Thread Killer

I highly recommend Art in the Round's BeaDreamers. They are really pricey, but I haven't found any diamond bits that work as well or as quickly as these do. They aren't tapered and the diamond part is about an inch long, so they get all the release out quickly.

(I'm not affiliated with Dave --just really love the beadreamer)

Old 2010-07-16, 8:15pm
Life is change. Love it

I bent my Beadreamer the first time I used it, and it obviously didn't work anymore. Maybe it was because it was the 1/16th one?

Old 2010-07-16, 9:26pm
Peerless Thread Killer

I have the 1/16th one and I haven't had a problem using it so far.

Old 2010-07-17, 6:33pm
Unmedicated since '62

think about what bead release is, it's basically clay (if i'm correct) and nothing much "dissolves" clay that wont also etch the beads

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2010-07-17, 6:58pm
You talkin to me?

I second that....

I buy my diamond bits from Widget too... they last a very very long time, and so reasonable too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasshouse View Post
I bought a pack of 30 1/16" diamond bits for my foredom from Widget Supply for $10 three years ago and I've got 25 left still... I use them on all of my beads, no matter what size. They last a long time and the beads clean out pretty fast.

I work on a Minor burner, with an oxy-con and household natural gas
Old 2010-07-17, 9:25pm
Life is change. Love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by melzip View Post
I second that....

I buy my diamond bits from Widget too... they last a very very long time, and so reasonable too.
Yep, that's where I go too

Old 2010-07-18, 3:36am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasshouse View Post
can you give me link to that - i'm not totally sure what kind of bit it is

i use the mandrel and run it back an forth under running water

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2010-07-18, 8:38am

White Vinegar has always worked for me and it's cheap. Sometimes it takes a week though.
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2010-07-18, 8:42am
You talkin to me?

Here you go...

http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/PROD/specials/BDH58

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
can you give me link to that - i'm not totally sure what kind of bit it is

i use the mandrel and run it back an forth under running water

I work on a Minor burner, with an oxy-con and household natural gas
Old 2010-07-18, 10:27am
I'm a lilac!

I use the Widgetsupply ones too... a pack of 10 lasts years! Not bad for $5.