Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2010-03-07, 4:57pm

Default Help!! I'm so confused! Canon or Nikon?

Hi everyone! I had a bunch of people over to my house and the kids knocked my camera off a table... I had it set so I could pretty much point and shoot for most pictures!

Anyway, I am so confused! I want a reliable camera with a good macro built in or one that works with the different filters that are cheap and easy to put on!

What are you using?
Thanks for any suggestions!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2010-03-07, 5:33pm

The simple answer is that the photo doesnt know or care about the badge on the front of the camera. For many people it can become a debate a bit like that over which is the better (real) religion.

If your looking at the compact style point and shoot - I think even most Nikon believers would say Canon makes better models - but if your going to consider SLR type bodies then it is a close call.

Personally - I fall into the Nikon camp

Pretty much any of the compacts (if your seeking a point & shoot approach) have more then enough capability to capture pretty decent super closeups.
Old 2010-03-07, 9:19pm

Thanks for your help! I like my old Nikon because my hubby has is all set and all I do is point and shoot. I don't care what the name is on the camera but I'm looking at these two because they are reliable known brands. I am not that in to cameras so I wouldn't know off (but really good) brands. I will keep it forever or until another kid drops it....

I need a good macro with an automatic focus button for crisp and clear close ups. Filters would be fine too but I've never used those. For the most part, I won't use the camera for family pictures or other pics since I like small portable digital cameras for that.
I'd really like to see the difference in pictures the cameras take side by side for comparison. I wish there were a place to rent a camera for a day or two to try it out!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2010-11-26, 12:50pm
Redbearmountain

Canon is the way to go for nice point and shoot pictures. I just love mine!
Old 2010-12-14, 12:19pm
Just at the begining

Quote:
Originally Posted by navarre View Post
I think even most Nikon believers would say Canon makes better models -
you mean better glass (L-series)

P.S. I'm in the Nikon camp, but I lust over some of that L glass.
Old 2010-12-14, 2:15pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Sony.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2010-12-20, 9:27am

LOL Lori!!!
There are so many cameras!
I bought a cheap Canon for temporary but still pondering this!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2010-12-21, 4:13am

I have a Canon powershot. I've had it for at least 5 years and it's wonderful! Awesome colors (which is why I bought it...it's recommended for their true color capture) and easy to use. I can do close ups and pretty much anything. You can't go wrong with a Canon!

Visit me here:

Old 2010-12-27, 1:36pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

I got a Sony A-33 DSLR for Christmas (it's a present AND a business expense! Bonus! LOL) and so far I am in complete and total love.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2010-12-27, 1:52pm
Formerly Bakerman44

I got the canon t2i. Why? Well it's a bad to the bone camera. But mostly because all my friends have canon rebel camera and lenses. They are knowledgeable of the camera when I have questions and are willing to share thee lenses. Go with your peers.

Old 2010-12-27, 3:04pm
Redbearmountain

Well I have had a canon which I love! It went on the blink but was new in 2004 and has taken thousands of pictures so I can not complain. The camera shop told me the canon to buy now is the canon SX-30 IS and it has a 35x optical zoom with a macro setting and micro lens three of them. Takes awesome close up pictures he told me. The Camera is 429.00 at the camera shop. Same camera on ebay is 368.99 and free shipping but you can get this camera on ebay with a 29 piece pro kit for 559.00 free shipping. Has lens, case, tri pod etc....A hell of a deal plus a five year extended warrenty. I think I will buy on of these. Check it out anyway. Camera man told me sony makes a nice camera but twice as expensive to have repaired. Good Luck! Niya

Old 2010-12-30, 11:03pm

If you want a good camera dont worry, Nikon and Cannon are both good cameras. I own a Nikon SLR (D700) But I chose nikon over cannon just due to the fact that nikon uses the same lens mount it always has.

Stay away from the real cheap cameras because you get what you pay for. Also you dont have to go out and spend $2600 on a camera body like I did. Get something you feel comfortable with and learn how to use it.
Old 2011-01-01, 7:33am

OOH.. the D700.. I'm so jellous! (I have an older D200)

Bring a bead or earring to the store with you and try taking some pics with your own card. Then take the card home and see which looks best.

Cannon and Nikon both make good stuff.
Old 2011-01-02, 7:53am

I have always used Nikon film but do not like Nikon digital. Canon seems to have a better camera for digital. Also look into Olympus. I have always been told by other photographers that Olympus has "really good optics". My parents just got an inexpensive point and shoot Olympus that takes wonderful pictures. The colors and clarity is really good. I am sure the larger cameras that can pick up macro photos are just as nice. I am thinking this is something I may look into next time I decide to buy a camera.
Old 2011-01-02, 8:02am
Gonna get blow'd up!

For a simple point and shoot, go Canon.

If you're looking for glass that costs a lot... try Leica

It's not the camera, it's the person using it. Most digital cameras nowadays will do more than anyone shooting product photography really needs.

Those super expensive SLRs and DSLRs that are sold on the consumer market are all waaay more than the average human needs. Unless you're shooting high rez stock or work meant for advertising don't waste you're money.

Old 2011-01-02, 10:03am
Linda Linda Honey, lookit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcupinez View Post
Also look into Olympus. I have always been told by other photographers that Olympus has "really good optics". .

Olympus does have nice glass.... but their cameras aren't worth the box their packaged in.

As to the OP's question: apples or oranges?

If you're looking at compact, point and shoot cameras, they are all about the same, and all do the same things. 3/4/5x zooms, 10 to 16mp, all the same 'green box' modes - the only thing that changes is the brand, and the colors. Pick one and roll with it - it'll be obsolete in 3 years anyway.

Old 2011-01-11, 11:35am
Corgi Cult Member

I can make any brand of camera work like a piece of crap! It's a talent that I've perfected.

Old 2011-01-13, 1:00am

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwhim View Post
I can make any brand of camera work like a piece of crap! It's a talent that I've perfected.
*LOL* I seem to have the same talent.

Lynx, Midrange, Scorpion Regalia Oxycon