LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-10-24, 9:47am

Question Meerschaum... anyone ever work with it?

I have a question. Does anyone know how to 'stain" it without having to "smoke" in it? I love the antiguing effect of this stone after it's been smoked in, and 'aged' by touch, but wondering how I can do it with new stone?

Thanks for any advise you may have.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-10-25, 8:28am

Maybe putting it through a lower temperature run in a kiln? You might try rubbing a little oil on it and then heating it gently to get that 'smoked in/hand rubbed' finish. I've never done it, but it seems like this might substitute for burning tobacco.

Robert
Old 2009-10-25, 11:59am

Can you tea stain it? Just wondering.......it's porous, isn't it?
Old 2009-10-25, 6:07pm

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! OMG, Lenda! How are YOU?! Long time no see....

I thought of the "tea" staining, but I didn't know what the water would do the stone, as I get the impression it's somewhat pourous (but I don't really know squat about the material). Guess I'll have to experiment? Now to find a cheap sample to work on.

Old 2009-10-25, 6:12pm

It's soft when it's collected from the Black Sea, so putting it back into water might make it soft again. This might make it easy to shape,but could also be problematic, just depends on your final use.

Robert
Old 2009-10-25, 8:07pm

Meerschaum: Hydrous Magnesium Silicate.

How it colors depends in part upon which how it is finished. Once upon a time, quality meerschaum was finished with raw spermacetti. The coloration was a result of the heat and not the tobacco. Colors could range from browns to deep reds. Most of the finishes used should not be touched with bare skin. The finish will not color consistently if it has been touched. I knew a collector who actually refinished some of his meerschaum with raw spermacetti and then aged it (and colored it) in the oven. I do not know what temperature he used.
Old 2009-10-26, 7:04pm

Smile

Hmmm... "spermacetti"...... .... I better look that one up before I comment, LOL!

I was thinking of something we used in Mexico for "antiquing" things back when I was a kid. It was "chapopote". I "think" chapopote is tar that was diluted with something like turpentine.

Interresting.. now I REALLY want to get my hands on some of this stone to experiment!

Thanks again for all your suggestions and help!

Old 2009-10-26, 7:09pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

How about just using a touch of acrylic paint?
Get some sienna or some burnt umber, cover the piece, and then
rub off all the paint. It will stay in the recessed portions
and look antique.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2009-10-26, 7:30pm

Question

Hi Karen, that's a good suggestion, but what I'm trying to find, is a more
"natural" effect, even if it has inconsistencies. I'm looking for the more "ivory" effect with a little 'aging' in the crevaces......

I was also thinking of just now of making walnut oil. We used it to stain wood when I did wood working. You put big juicy black walnut chunks in a cotton cloth and rub it on the surface. Amazing how much oil came out of it!

Looked up "spermacetti" (thanks, Michael!) and found someone that sells the wax version. I'll call tomorrow and ask about it.

This is getting very exciting!

Old 2009-11-03, 11:18am

Smile

Okay, here is an image (for how long it will stay, I don't know) of a pipe I saw on Ebay, and though how cool it could be to make this coloration effect in glass. Also, in my query to understand meerschaum, was if one bought a newer piece, how to get it to get these beautiful warm ambers...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

What ideas do you have on glasses to achieve this stuff going on in the item the hand is holding?

I asked the seller what it represented, and he thought it was a torch (I don't think so). It looks like a flask of beer, and I love the swirly ambers in there!

Last edited by Ofilia; 2009-11-03 at 11:23am.
Old 2009-11-03, 11:52am
Happy Beadmaker!

Hey-O!!! Have you used BE Mystery Amber yet????? IT IS EVER-SO-WONDERFUL and may just be what you're looking for. It is medium amber color in the rod, but develops some (not all, just some) clouds/streaks of opacity in the annealed bead.

LMK!
Lea

~
~
~