Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-11-03, 7:54pm

Default Help

Hi, I recently bought a starter glass bead making kit from Hobby Lobby, it is probably the cheapest thing in the world. I actually made my first bead tonight, it turned out okay, I guess.. My question is, I put the bead release on the mandrel and flame dried it. When I started putting the glass to it, most of it flaked off, I made this bead and now it is stuck solid. How do I go about getting that off, and is there any way of saving it. It is my first bead, lol... Any help would be great!

Thanks in advance
Billy
Old 2009-11-03, 8:04pm

Well maybe. lol sorry it may end up being a plant sticker. I find if I soak it in warm water for a bit then hold the mandrel with a pair of pliers and hold the bead with a towel or something so it doesn't slip then twist gently back on forth (make sure you have a death grip on the pliers holding the mandrel) you may be able to coax it off. Your mandrel will bend if you apply to much pressure and you may just not be able to get it off but that is what i do when mine are stuck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

That should be back AND forth. Clearly it is past my bedtime.

Try soaking it in water for a few days. That may help. How many mandrels do you have? If you have a few, and this bead does not unstick, someone once suggested sticking it in a potted plant for decoration. Unfortunately, if the glass stuck the mandrel itself, there isn't much you can do. I know some releases say you can flame dry them, but I still don't do it. It only takes about 20 minutes for the stuff to air dry. You can tell when it is not all the way dry because the top dries last,and it will be darker if it is still wet. If youwant more supplies, always keep an eye out in the garage sale section. People have really great deals in there! Also, there is a post some where like "Giving Back the Sequel." A really generous lady lampworker is going to be giving away some glass to a newbie. All you have to do is not have lampworked for more than a year, not have a studio up for more than six months or not even have one at all, and have less than 15 lbs of glass. Sounds like you meet that criteria. Good luck!

P.S. Don't forget about the newbie thread. We post our stuff in there. It is always fun to see how far we have come in a week, month, and even a few years.
Old 2009-11-03, 8:18pm
Sucks at being nice

Sorry to say it is probably a goner. It sounds like you didn't season the mandrels first so chances are the glass is seriously fused to the mandrel. You need to burn off or scrub off the oils on new mandrels prior to using them. Also, when you flame dry the release you need to heat it slowly in the back of the flame. If you blast it right off the bat it tends to flake more.

Last edited by jeepinwelch; 2009-11-03 at 8:21pm.
Old 2009-11-03, 8:35pm

sounds like I did some things wrong with this... I have scrubbed the remaining mandrels and coated them, and left them to dry overnight. Gave the fused bead to my wife and told her to just admire it. I will make one soon she can use to make something with. It was actually pretty too. Oh well, I have got to learn somehow.. Thanks for all your help.

Billy
Old 2009-11-03, 9:05pm
Life is change. Love it

That bead release is the cheapest crap around. I would invest in a different brand or you'll end up with more pot stickers.

Old 2009-11-03, 9:26pm
Sucks at being nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
That bead release is the cheapest crap around. I would invest in a different brand or you'll end up with more pot stickers.
I used it for awhile and never had any stick permanently but I sure ruined some mandrels getting the beads off! I haven't had to use the freezer trick since I switched.

Old 2009-11-03, 9:32pm
And silence is golden

That freezer trick has been a god send when all else failed for me! Just left it in there for a couple of hours, and off came the bead.
Old 2009-11-04, 5:23am

what is the best bead release to get?
Old 2009-11-04, 6:56am
Life is change. Love it

I like Fusion mixed with a little Smooth and Tuff, but you'll hear many many different opinions!

Old 2009-11-04, 7:04am
Sucks at being nice

I did a search for you and came up with these. The search feature is a handy tool.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=144074
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...hlight=release
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...hlight=release

Old 2009-11-04, 7:31am
organically speaking

I like Fusion bead release. Flame dries beautifully. Also, in addition to cleaning the mandrels first, I also take sand paper to them, to roughen up the surface. Just takes a couple of minutes and I never have flaking or sticking.

Old 2009-11-05, 10:53am
Evil Glass Enabler

Just a FYI, the Hobby Lobby torch and bead release have a really bad reputation. The Hot Head torch is supposed to be much better and according to everything I've ever heard the bead release is C**P. There are many great bead releases out there. Good luck with your glass hobby. Don't forget to put your name and address in the RAOGK. There are LE people that like to pay it forward and send newbies stuff. Angelique

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2009-11-05, 12:57pm
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

Also, with all bead release, it doesn't hurt to "cure" gently in the flame before you wrap your footprint whether it is flame-dry or not. Most bead release will change color slightly when it is ready - this just makes sure that any residual moisture goes bye-bye before you have a disaster (ask me how I know this......LOL!!

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2009-11-05, 1:03pm
Likes to melt stuff...

Two things:

Yes, that Hobby Lobby kit has a terrible torch and terrible bead release. Even an upgrade to a hot head will be a dramatic improvement.

You might also try soaking your stuck bead in rubbing alcohol -- it seems to loosen things up pretty well.
Old 2009-11-05, 1:48pm

Cool, I purchased a hot head torch today, hope it will get here soon, yes I agree about the hobbylobby stuff and the "flamework" brand torch..

Angelique what is the RAOGK?

I hope to get busy tomorrow trying to play more with the glass, it will be my day off so I will have all day to work. Cannot wait!
Old 2009-11-05, 2:01pm
Just Me!

Talking

Hi Billy,
Do you happen to have one of those Rivet tools?
If not, you can get one cheap at any hardware store.
Here's a photo.

Anyway, try it to get your bead off.
When I heard about this tool here on LE I used it and got every stuck bead I had off.
Just put something between the bead and tool so it won't scratch or crack the bead while using it.

Hope this helps.........Val

Last edited by valjean; 2009-11-05 at 2:02pm. Reason: word problem
Old 2009-11-05, 2:07pm

Sweet I think I will try that, I do have one of those some where in a drawer!! Now to go and try to find them
Old 2009-11-05, 2:16pm
Just Me!

Smile

Good luck, let us know how it worked out for you.......Val
Old 2009-11-08, 8:30pm
Just Me!

Arrow

Bump.

Just wondering if you got your first bead off the mandrel, with the Rivet tool or some other way?...........Val

Old 2009-11-08, 9:58pm
honorary bead lady

Hey Billy

Come into the Gallery in the Newbie show and tell thread for the week, and when you are up to it join in the newbie challenges