Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-11-13, 7:47pm

Default Fell in Love today

WOW, so I went over to a guy's house today that makes glass beads, about 8 miles from my house. He has a major minor nortel torch, and he showed me how to work with reactive double helix glass... WOW that torch was awesome, remember I have a flameworks (29.95) torch, that takes 4 minutes to get the glass up to temp. He also showed me Boro, and has a kiln.. What a difference the right torch makes, I have a feeling that when I set up my HH that I bought I am not going to be happy after playing with that torch today. Not sure but I just have a feeling. So as soon as I can put away some money from my wife, I guess I know what I will be buying!!! Anyways just wanted to share it with you guys!

Billy
Old 2009-11-13, 8:15pm

Drool! I don't have anyone near me that would allow me to stand over their shoulder. I so wish there was!
Old 2009-11-13, 8:24pm

Good for you!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-11-13, 8:49pm
Back to 👊 1

U R D.U.N.N.!
Like the rest of us!
Just work, pay the glassman!

Don't make me cranky, I WILL "chuck a tanty!" a la PerfectDeb

Old 2009-11-13, 9:32pm

lol my wife is not liking my new hobby much, cant wait till I can make her something really nice and then say SEE, can I have more money now?
Old 2009-11-13, 9:52pm
Just Me!

Talking

Hook - Line - & - Sinker .........LOL

Keep having fun.........Val
Old 2009-11-13, 9:52pm
Formerly FishBulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrdlebp View Post
U R D.U.N.N.!
Like the rest of us!
Just work, pay the glassman!

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2009-11-13, 9:57pm

Just remember, there is no 12-Step Program for glass addiction! LOL

Old 2009-11-13, 11:51pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalflipz View Post
Just remember, there is no 12-Step Program for glass addiction! LOL
Yes there is ....

Step 1) Buy more glass
Step 2) Buy more oxygen
Step 3) Buy more glass
Step 4) Buy more oxygen
Step 5) Buy some new tools
Step 6) Buy more oxygen
Step 7) Take a class
Step Buy more glass
Step 9) Buy more oxygen
Step 10) Buy more glass
Step 11) Buy a bigger torch
Step 12) Buy more oxygen

and repeat ... and repeat ... and

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2009-11-14, 2:01am

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybow View Post
lol my wife is not liking my new hobby much, cant wait till I can make her something really nice and then say SEE, can I have more money now?
All you have to do, is to get her hooked too! Make her sit in front of the torch, lit it up and get her to melt some glass. There you go, another glass-addict.

R#115
Old 2009-11-14, 5:38am
Jamaican Me Crazy

Im a newbie too. But my wife makes jewlery, so I got it figured out, the more she likes the beads I make for her the more money she is willing to give me for better equiptment.
Old 2009-11-14, 7:16am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerp View Post
All you have to do, is to get her hooked too! Make her sit in front of the torch, lit it up and get her to melt some glass. There you go, another glass-addict.
Just my thought but this is a bad plan unless you have enough money for TWO torches! lol

Another thought that might help you- my dd's LOVE my lampworking because of all the jewelry THEY get from me. Can you wire some of your beads up as pendants for her or do you know someone who can? If there is a bead shop in your area, they may be able to put you in touch with someone... otherwise, you may have to learn yourself and that's another money pit, although I thank God for both lampworking and jewelry making!

Good luck and welcome aboard...

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2009-11-14, 9:37am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fannydotson View Post
Drool! I don't have anyone near me that would allow me to stand over their shoulder. I so wish there was!
Fanny--have you looked in the "your backyard" part of the forum? I know there's quite a bunch of peeps in florida....there's got to be SOMEONE not to far from you!!!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-11-14, 11:27am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerp View Post
Get her to look over the Gallery on here. That could change her tune right quick! Also, do a search on lampwork beads on ebay and Etsy to show her what people can do.
Old 2009-11-14, 11:35am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtcoInc View Post
Yes there is ....

Step 1) Buy more glass
Step 2) Buy more oxygen
Step 3) Buy more glass
Step 4) Buy more oxygen
Step 5) Buy some new tools
Step 6) Buy more oxygen
Step 7) Take a class
Step Buy more glass
Step 9) Buy more oxygen
Step 10) Buy more glass
Step 11) Buy a bigger torch
Step 12) Buy more oxygen

and repeat ... and repeat ... and

Malcolm
There's a sub step for trying to sell thing to justify more glass purchases, too.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2009-11-14, 4:08pm

You guys are all a hoot. Billy, maybe your wife should start making jewelry.

My first torch was a Fireworks, too, then I "upgraded" to a hothead. I got a bit skeert when my old torch started randomly having fire come out the top where the vents are!! One day I'll graduate, but the HH is so much better than the Fireworks that I'm content for now.

Old 2009-11-14, 4:16pm

I started on a hot head in August. I am ready to updgrade to a cricket as soon as I can save enough up to buy it, the oxygen tank, the regulators etc lol! I agree with the twelve step program above also. Once your hooked that's it lol!