Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2010-10-22, 5:42pm

Default torch TORCH torch

Last night I was torching and my flame began to pulse. Truly like a heart beat. It was most annoying when I was reducing glass, as the bushy flame moved more noticebly (sp). I did just get a new tank of propane, but my guage is holding steady, and I really think it is a concentrator issue. Working on a Cricket with 5 lpm concentrator. Damn and blast!!

Any ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

leebeads.etsy.com, leebeads.artfire.com
Old 2010-10-22, 5:46pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Sounds like your oxycon is "breathing" - you might want to pop the cover and look for a leak.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-10-22, 5:55pm

I will do that ! Thanks!

Old 2010-10-22, 7:00pm

So, where exactly would I look for a leak? Do I have to put soapy water on something like I do the valve stem in my auto tire?

Old 2010-10-22, 7:52pm
TravelLight&Don'tRush

Start with the propane tank then work back to the torch...don't leave this one. Another idea is to check your torch. Have a look at this site for some ideas

http://www.artmetal.com/blog/lssphx/...p_hose_dry_rot

When was the last time you cleaned the head of your torch? Is the propane from a reliable source and clean?
It might not hurt to take the whole "she-bang" into a welding shop and have them check it over.

Last edited by thatsmithlady; 2010-10-22 at 8:00pm.
Old 2010-10-22, 7:55pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Check for cracks and anywhere there are clamps and connections. Do not use water unless someone that knows the inside of an oxycon really well tells you it's ok .

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-10-22, 8:07pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmithlady View Post
Start with the propane tank then work back to the torch...don't leave this one. Another idea is to check your torch. Have a look at this site for some ideas

http://www.artmetal.com/blog/lssphx/...p_hose_dry_rot

When was the last time you cleaned the head of your torch? Is the propane from a reliable source and clean?
It might not hurt to take the whole "she-bang" into a welding shop and have them check it over.
'Nother whole issue with me. I bought a Cricket just a year ago. I have to clean it several times a night!! But the pulsating flame has even nice candles, so it's not the torch...i don't think.

Old 2010-10-30, 7:15am
Kobuki & DIY Homefill Sys

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoon View Post
I bought a Cricket just a year ago. I have to clean it several times a night!! But the pulsating flame has even nice candles, so it's not the torch...i don't think.
Sometimes the propane regulator starts to go out and that can cause the fluctuations too.

On the cricket, if you just turn your propane way down while it is lit so that mostly oxy is coming out, the built up carbon instantly burns off the face and then you can turn the propane back up and resume what you were doing without having to shut the torch off, wait for it to cool, then clean it.
Old 2010-10-30, 6:02pm

I just put a new regulator on 2 weeks ago. Not the problem. I have tried to "burn off" the carbon in the way you suggest. I had been told to try that when I first got the Cricket. No dice. While the torch is lit I can scrape the front of it with a palette knife and most of the time the junk will push off and burn in the flame. Or, I shut down and clean with wire. It's just such a chronic problem! Never had this problem with my Minor.

Still having pulsating flames. I am sure it is something with the O2 concentrator, but i can't find a leak.

Old 2010-10-31, 12:08pm
Kobuki & DIY Homefill Sys

well, if the pulsating is from the oxygen system, it might help to put a holding tank between the oxycon and the torch. This should even out any effect from breathing.
Old 2010-10-31, 2:13pm

Thanks! That was a suggestion from my friend at Meow, Meow Beads, too.. We are looking for a holding tank, as we speak! I am hoping that will level things off.

Old 2010-11-02, 12:29pm

Adding a holding tank eliminated the problem when I was using just one oxycon too. You'll love it!