LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2007-05-02, 3:12am

Default how to apply cubic zirconias

Hi everyone, i've just managed to buy some cubic zirconias to add to my glass beads but im unsure how to!!, i know i've come across some tutorials on using them but i cannot find them Any tips or links to tutorials would be a huge help
Thanks sally,
Old 2007-05-02, 6:11am

My favorite that I learned on one of the forums a while back is to use a little Elmer's glue to attach a CZ to the end of a mandrel, flat side down. Heat up the spot on your bead where you want to apply the CZ, then stab it down. The heat will burn the glue off without staining the bead. It takes a little practice to get your aim right, but it works pretty well.
Old 2007-05-02, 6:13am

I forgot to mention, you can then encase over top. Be careful, if your CZs are too large there will be COE differences and can cause the bead to crack. I think I usually use 2mm size CZs (it's been a while since I've used them. I can't find my last shipment of them! )
Old 2007-05-02, 8:10am
Broken

Let the glue dry before you try and use it or the cz will fly off! I use all my skinny bent mandrels as cz's pokers. I but them into 3 inch pieces, file one end flat so it easier to get cz's to lie straight and glue a bunch on!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-05-02, 8:10am

With the method that Blair mentions here you can always be CZ ready. I prepare a bunch CZ's, glued to the mandrels, which sit close to the torch. I keep them in a wide mouth glass filled with floral foam. I stick the mandrels in the foam.

Old 2007-05-02, 8:27am
caffiene, beads, bedhead,

you can also use glue sticks, which is tacky right away..

~~
~~
Old 2007-05-02, 8:50am

I learned the glue stick method from Karin. I use short mandrels (a couple she left here in fact) to hold it.
Old 2007-05-02, 8:51am

I use bees wax
Old 2007-05-02, 11:54pm

Thanks a million everyone! your advise has been great i tried it today & the beads i made turned out fantastic!
Sal.
Old 2007-05-03, 6:47am
Addicted to Frit!!!

I have a written tutorial (pdf) on my website: http://www.glassdiversions.com/image...wnloads/CZ.pdf that shows my favorite ways to apply CZ's.

HTH

Premium Frit Blends
Check us out on

Last edited by rkoza; 2007-05-04 at 7:15am.
Old 2007-05-04, 8:12am

Default How To Apply Cubic Zirconias

Can you use any size cz?
Old 2007-05-09, 10:20am
Addicted to Frit!!!

It depends on the size of your bead but I don't like to use anything over 3mm.

Premium Frit Blends
Check us out on

Old 2007-05-09, 1:14pm
It's all about art.

You can also just use spit. If you don't have a prepared glued one ready, lick the tip of a mandrel and it will stick to it long enough to put it in. Did anyone mention that you need to poke a place for it first? Heat the spot and drop it on. The 2mm size is hard to see so have magnifying glasses on so you can get the flat side up.

Old 2007-05-09, 5:46pm
I think I could be a bead

Can you use this method with other forms of glass like czech glass? I don't have cz's, but I do have czech glass.

Mallory
Old 2007-05-12, 6:39am

I also have struggled with this subject but eventually I figured out how to do this consistently. I also use the skinniest mandrels. I put a drop of Elmer's glue on a piece of foil and dip my mandrels into it to let them pick up very very small amount of glue. I then let them dry on the mandrel stand till the glue forms a skin, only then I pick up CZ with them. I used to put too much glue and ended up leaving dark stain on CZ. You need very very small amount of glue to pick up CZ anyway. Also, you need to poke a hole to prepare the place to receive your CZ. This way after you placed the CZ piece you just have to heat up the place and let the surrounding glass to grip the CZ. I don't put clear on top after that because in my experience CZ does not show up well with clear on top. Lastly, when you have enough experience with CZ you won't need to use the glue any more. You can get pretty good at picking up with a tweezer. Like everything else, practice makes it easy, I guess. Sachiko L.
Old 2007-05-12, 12:27pm

I found that the standard elmers glue took too long to dry if you use their blue school gel it's faster drying... however I think I'll try the spit method! And I don't pre poke my holes although maybe if I did I'd hit the right spot!

Lynne

Send me an email or a PM
I answer everything, any excuse not to do something useful!
Old 2007-05-12, 4:16pm
sunscreen me baby

Elmers doesn't take any longer than dipped mandrels. I glue before I torch and it is always dry enough for my first bead, maybe 30 minutes later. I am a fan of poking first for a landing zone but you can just plunge and insert the cz all at the same time if you wish. It isn't hard to do if you are good with detail work or don't mind it being a bit off where you intended.
Kudos to whomever can do it with tweezers. These 40 something eyes just can't!

~

Old 2007-05-12, 4:18pm
sunscreen me baby

Mallory I don't see why you couldn't with check glass. I use them on 104, 96 and 90.

~

Old 2007-05-12, 4:22pm
Formerly Travelin'gal

I never wait for my glue to dry. I bet I stick them on my first bead after gluing within 10 minutes. I use elmers glue. And I don't pre poke a hole either. Some people find that easier for placement, but it is just an extra step for me.

~
~
~
~
~
Old 2007-05-12, 5:02pm

Spit will never work for me since I glue 50 or so at a time. This way I can add a CZ on a whim. I do like the blue gel glue over the white.

Old 2010-10-21, 8:55am
Somewhat out there!

Default DUH

Just going over older posts in the tutorials thread. Nicker, it never dawned on me to cut the length of the mandrel down. That would be so much easier than stretching my arm 9-12" away and hoping I land in the right spot. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicker View Post
Let the glue dry before you try and use it or the cz will fly off! I use all my skinny bent mandrels as cz's pokers. I but them into 3 inch pieces, file one end flat so it easier to get cz's to lie straight and glue a bunch on!
Old 2010-10-22, 9:09am

I have a quickie tutorial that I posted a while back. I use a lot of CZs, and find this easiest for me: How To Set CZs

I hope this helps.

Forgive everyone of everything, instantly
Old 2010-10-22, 10:50am
Somewhat out there!

Thanks Lisa. Pretty beads on your blog
Old 2010-10-22, 4:52pm

You're welcome, and thank you for the nice comment!

Forgive everyone of everything, instantly
Old 2010-10-22, 8:12pm
TravelLight&Don'tRush

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkoza View Post
I have a written tutorial (pdf) on my website: http://www.glassdiversions.com/image...wnloads/CZ.pdf that shows my favorite ways to apply CZ's.

HTH
Oops it looks like this is a dead link...I'd love to see this? Any chance of fixin' it?
Old 2011-01-02, 9:59am

i have a good question about this...do you have to use CZ, can your use lab created sapphires? i realize nobody has commented on this thread for a while, but i would like to learn about glass and stones.