No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-10-07, 6:47pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Default Cleaning Mandrels

Okay , I am using Bucket of Mud and it is brilliant. I make mostly pressed beads and it stands up very well.

My only complaint is the fact it is so hard to clean the mandrels afterwards. Is this an expected trade off or is there some trick to getting them clean? The release is really stuck on the mandrels. Yes I do soak, scrub etc etc.

Time is money, any tricks please?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-10-07, 7:01pm

I took a class with Sage Holland & Beau Anderson and they clean all of their beads with the mandrel the bead is made on (as in they losen the bead in a vice to prevent bending mandrels, then use the mandrel as a bead reamer). The act of sliding the bead up and down on the mandrel cleans the mandrel and the bead.

If you want to limit hand strain I have read here somewhere on LE that you can use an ultrasonic bath/cleaner to clean the beads (and it should work on the mandrels too).
Old 2009-10-07, 7:12pm

I just run my fingernail on the mandrel under warm water - BOM comes off easy!

Old 2009-10-07, 7:13pm
daughter and I

I clean my mandrels with the bead also, wipe off with a towel and they are ready to be dipped again. I then clean my beads with a dremel to get the rest of the release out.

Seaside Fire Designs

Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just swish and spit.
Old 2009-10-08, 3:37am
Cherine Perrin Glass

I soak mine in really hot water and while they are wet use a green kitchen scrubbie to clean them off.

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2009-10-08, 4:36am

I hold my fingers tight on the exposed release and twist it if into a can before twisting the bead loose. Run the bead up and down slightly. Pull it off and put it in water to soak. I just swing the mandrels through water to get any loose off and re-dip them.
Joan
Old 2009-10-08, 5:18am

I also use the bead. Fingernail for stubborn stuff. Then I always rub over the whole bunch with the green scrubby underwater before I dip them.
Old 2009-10-08, 5:23am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Crazy View Post
I soak mine in really hot water and while they are wet use a green kitchen scrubbie to clean them off.
The green scrubbies work very well. I also, slide the bead up and down the mandrel too.
Old 2009-10-08, 6:07am
Jacqueline Parkes

I just tried your suggestion and it works perfectly! The answer was staring me in the face but I just did not see it. This now saves me one step in my bead making, thanks so much. And thank you to everyone else that replied. This place rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anneonline View Post
I took a class with Sage Holland & Beau Anderson and they clean all of their beads with the mandrel the bead is made on (as in they losen the bead in a vice to prevent bending mandrels, then use the mandrel as a bead reamer). The act of sliding the bead up and down on the mandrel cleans the mandrel and the bead.

If you want to limit hand strain I have read here somewhere on LE that you can use an ultrasonic bath/cleaner to clean the beads (and it should work on the mandrels too).

Old 2009-10-08, 10:12am
Lampworkaholic!

An overnight soak in diluted cheap white vinegar works wonders. This is also great for removing those stubborn sticky labels from glass cane. I keep a jar on hand for this purpose and reuse the vinegar for quite a while.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-10-08, 1:14pm

LOL Gemsinbloom!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
I just tried your suggestion and it works perfectly! The answer was staring me in the face but I just did not see it. This now saves me one step in my bead making, thanks so much. And thank you to everyone else that replied. This place rocks!
I had a duh moment about how obvious cleaning bead & mandrel in one swoop was.

The dremel finish from Valerie is probably a good idea because the "mandrel reamer" may not get all of the bead release out (or will take you more time and repetitive stress).
Quote:
Originally Posted by valerie_folly View Post
I clean my mandrels with the bead also, wipe off with a towel and they are ready to be dipped again. I then clean my beads with a dremel to get the rest of the release out.
Now this is a good tip for the sticky lables - Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
An overnight soak in diluted cheap white vinegar works wonders. This is also great for removing those stubborn sticky labels from glass cane. I keep a jar on hand for this purpose and reuse the vinegar for quite a while.
Old 2009-10-08, 1:53pm
Kobuki & DIY Homefill Sys

I bite down on them with my molars and spin the mandrel...works every time.
Old 2009-10-08, 2:46pm
OY and Psyche Junkie

A few years ago, another LE member told how she gathers up a handful of mandrels and then rubs them all together between her hands, either under running water or in a bucket of water. I do this and it takes only seconds to get a bunch of mandrels clean. No scraping, no soaking overnight.

Cheers
Kathy

Minor with one concentrator

Old 2009-10-09, 4:28am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebug View Post
gathers up a handful of mandrels and then rubs them all together between her hands, either under running water or in a bucket of water.

Cheers
Kathy
This is how I do it. Works great and it's quick. Just don't do it in your kitchen sink, the release will build up and clog it over time. Do it in the hose outside or in a bucket!

Last edited by Lenda; 2009-10-09 at 4:29am. Reason: forgot to add about the kitchen sink!
Old 2009-10-09, 10:42am

I just wash them with one of the 3m non scratching kitchen sponges after I have left them to soak for a little while.
Old 2009-10-09, 12:15pm

I use a fresh wet rag on 20-30 mandrels at a time. About 20 seconds of work and re-dip and ready to go. If doing a second set I just turn my rag over and clean that set. Really, most of release comes of with the bead.

Learning to not coat the mandrels past where you normally work will reduce mess, cleaning time and wasted release.

Last edited by divelement; 2009-10-09 at 12:20pm.
Old 2009-10-11, 4:37am

Default Sanding paper suggestion

Hi,

I find for very stubborn bead release a little damp 120 grade sanding paper gets the mandrels shiny bright in no time - of course soak them overnight - the vinegar trick helps greatly too - and keep it in a tall thin pickle jar and you can reuse it time time again.

All good things Greg