No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-10-14, 7:46pm
Living out Loud

Default Fee for redesigning a necklace?

I have been asked to redesign two long necklaces for a friend. Is there a formula that one uses to determine the fee. My thought is that it would be based upon the intricacies of the new design, the cost of materials used and your time. I would really like to get your input. Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-10-15, 5:44pm
Glass junkie

Depends how long and how intricate - good luck
Old 2009-10-15, 5:52pm

I charge a base $20 for a basic restringing (unless it's pearls which need knotting then it's a $1.20/ inch currently) ... I use the best materials and I notice that often the piece I'm working on has not been constructed well so that each piece seems to have issues of it's own and is never simple. It's not my favorite job to do but I seem to be doing a lot of it lately as people are saving money and not buying new.

I'd definitely count in your design time as well as any materials you have to add ... but working for friends is complicated and adds a further problem to costing it (I give friends 20% off).

Sorry not a whole lot of help!

Old 2009-10-15, 6:24pm

What would you charge to make the piece originally? Charge more because you don't have the freedom to pick the pieces and parts to design with and are stuck with using what the customer has given you, which to me, makes it more challenging.
Old 2009-10-15, 9:34pm
Living out Loud

Thanks so much, well she is eager to pay me so that is great!!

Anna