Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-10-29, 5:23pm

Default Bead Releases

Like most of us, I have been in search of the perfect bead release, since I began beadmakeing over 7 years ago. I wanted a release that could take some, (even alot of), abuse, but would let me remove the bead from the mandrel when I wanted to, and cleaned out of the hole with a minimum of work.

I began with FosterFire, then moved on to FosterFire Smooth and Tuff. I tried Bucket o' Mud, and most recently, Super Blue Sludge. Each has a following, and each certainly has merit. This last batch of Super Blue Sludge has me frustrated, however.

1) The release wants to bubble on the mandrel while drying. I have not flame-dried yet, so it is an air-dried situation. I don't want to double the dip if i can avoid it.

2) It seems to hold up well to working the glass but just plain does not want to let go of the bead when I am trying to remove one. Nor does it clean out of the bead well. I have heated the release til glowing before applying the glass, as instructed. I have to use vice grips to hold the mandrel and struggle with EVERY bead. The vice grips are ruining my mandrels.

Any ideas??????? Share your fave bead release, but for my money, avoid Super Blue Sludge!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

leebeads.etsy.com, leebeads.artfire.com
Old 2009-10-29, 5:51pm
Formerly known as LT

I mix bucket of mud and foster fire together about 1/2 and 1/2. I try to let it dry before using or sometimes it will flake but this mix has worked very well for me for several years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-10-29, 7:56pm

I have some of both. I will try it!!

leebeads.etsy.com, leebeads.artfire.com
Old 2009-10-29, 10:44pm
Lampworkaholic!

I think I found the perfect mix. 2/3 Krag Mudd and 1/3 Blue Sludge.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-10-30, 3:03am

I love about 2/3 Fosterfire with 1/3 Fusion. Try some mixing... I think the Fusion gives the Fosterfire a bit more gripping power in the flame and less flaking. It still stays to where you can just twist the bead off without lots of pressure and clean out is easy.
Old 2009-11-01, 8:59am

Fusion.
Love it.
Nikki uses it.
Loco uses it.
Aside from the "studio stuff" that Ed mixes up @ Playing with Fire down in Rockland, it's the best stuff in the world!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-11-01, 9:15am

I've always used super sludge...not the blue, It's what i've always used for large, really large and just plain small beads and they all come off easy from the mandrel. The only ones that are a little tougher to get off are long skinny beads but I just stick the mandrel in a table vise and it comes off fine.
Old 2009-11-01, 6:25pm
drinks pickle juice

I have said this before, and I will say it again. I love the mohawk mud that you can get from Moretti and More. It dries smooth (I like to flame dry it) and holds up to repeated pressing and long times in the flame, I can twist the beads off when I hold the mandrel with some needle nose pliers, and I find it cleans out great with a dremel.