The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-10-30, 11:14am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC
Default Frit

Does anyone have any suggestions, other than simply rolling the bead in it, for some fun and different ways to use frit on beads? Cheers! Joan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Victorian Style Floral available now!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2009-10-30, 11:30am
Peerless Thread Killer

Val Cox has a wonderful frit book on how to use it.

Old 2009-10-30, 11:44am
Jacqueline Parkes

The book is wonderful.

Try this too: Roll your bead in silver foil and burn off. Then roll your bead (lightly) in frit. Melt in frit and then allow your bead to drip down. Even up and drip again. Heat back into shape and leave round or press.

Old 2009-10-30, 2:11pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Another one:

Create a base bead in clear. Roll in silver foil and burnish off. Roll in frit and melt in completely. Rake down the middle of bead.

Old 2009-10-30, 6:34pm
Lover of all things color

Heat any light transparent rod to molten and stick into frit, apply to rod or pull stringer.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2009-10-30, 6:45pm

Ooooh, good idea!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simvet02 View Post
Heat any light transparent rod to molten and stick into frit, apply to rod or pull stringer.
Old 2009-10-30, 6:59pm
Life is change. Love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
The book is wonderful.

Try this too: Roll your bead in silver foil and burn off. Then roll your bead (lightly) in frit. Melt in frit and then allow your bead to drip down. Even up and drip again. Heat back into shape and leave round or press.
Make sure the frit you use for this doesn't turn black or disgusting brown when mixed with silver!

Old 2009-10-30, 8:11pm
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

Thanks so much for the tips! I was getting bored with just rolling away..... Val Cox's book sounds like it might by something I could use. I'll put a request in the Garage and see if someone might have a copy they are done with and might like to sell. Cheers! Joan

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2009-10-30, 10:30pm
Ad astra per aspera

Get your bead hot, roll in frit, melt it mostly in, then rake it with a stringer (I like to use an encased goldstone stringer) or pick a contrasting color, heat one spot, lift out of flame, then push and twist with the stringer. You don't have to push in a lot, just enough to grab the glass and make it move. You'll get little spirals of color. These look cool if they're encased afterwards.

Old 2009-10-31, 9:12am

Val's book is worth 10X the cost--really. I'm a total frit ADDICT (seriously--I had a collection of frit several years BEFORE I had a torch--how pathetic is that?) & I've been reading & re-reading Val's book since I got it--the pictures are gorgeous & the bits of information about the brands are incredible & the suggestions for ways to use it are great!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-10-31, 9:27am

Oooh, just ordered the book, can't wait. I have tons of frit and just sit there and look at it. I've tried different things but I really need some inspiration.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2009-10-31, 9:46am

Oooohh cant wait to try some of this too! ARRGG! not enough hours in the day!

Old 2009-10-31, 9:52am

Ditto to Luna's comments. It is a fantastic book!!!

Jen
Old 2009-10-31, 10:49am
I practice alchemy!

I like to make a tiny white core bead and roll it in frit. Then I make a clear or light transparent encasing. I roll in frit in again and melt it and add transparent spirals. The frit looks like its floating. I also love Val Cox's frit book.

Celeste
Old 2009-11-14, 2:10pm

I did this with some of my frit, ad it looked AWESOME!!! Thank you for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simvet02 View Post
Old 2009-11-14, 2:12pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelesteK View Post
I like to make a tiny white core bead and roll it in frit. Then I make a clear or light transparent encasing. I roll in frit in again and melt it and add transparent spirals. The frit looks like its floating. I also love Val Cox's frit book.

Celeste
I use it as an encased base for floral beads, too, love it.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2009-11-14, 5:03pm

Glad it worked for you Franny. I'm just starting to play with frit myself. I was out at Glass Diversions the other day ( http://www.glassdiversions.com/ ) and found that her frit testers all have some great pages on what each frit looks like on white, transparent and with silver leaf. They are on the right side of her home page. Just go to each of her testers sites and check them out. Lots of valuable info there.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2009-11-14, 5:24pm

Oooo, thank you!