Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2008-04-04, 10:41pm

Jenyy,
One of them is more transparent. Do you know which one that is?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-04-06, 4:26am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand Beads View Post
If anyone here wants to try Trautman's aventurines, I can send out a sampler of sparkly greens to the first five people who write me a PM here.... Nancy likes them, and I think you will too, if you get a chance to try them. We would like feedback from those who get them, however -- we are trying to decide whether to keep making this many variations.
SO - PM me now to get a sampler of TAG Leprechaun, Sphagnum Moss, Blue Sphagnum and a few of the EXP Sphagnums. These will be a couple of 6-8" pieces of each color.
Yay! I love my job! ~Jenny@ TAG www.taglass.com
Jenny - this is a great idea - I do love the colors - ran a few experiments this week - love all the colors - the only one I would probably not keep using is the really really pale green experimental.....just not enough color in them. I will send you a more specific email later in the week!
N
Old 2008-04-06, 5:52am

PMing you too. Thank you! I really need to find some new greens!
Angie
Old 2008-04-07, 10:24am

Default TAG Greens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamn! View Post
Jenyy,
One of them is more transparent. Do you know which one that is?
The Leprechaun is pretty dense. It resembles a 'shampoo' glass in the rod, and keeps a good sparkle in flameworked pieces. The Sphagnum is more translucent and I think it is a better seller because people think a less dense color will be more resistant to checking. The question is, is that true or false? I want you guys to put these through their paces!

BTW I do have my five now... thanks everyone. ~Jenny @ TAG
Old 2008-04-07, 10:26am

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancytobey View Post
Jenny - this is a great idea - I do love the colors - ran a few experiments this week - love all the colors - the only one I would probably not keep using is the really really pale green experimental.....just not enough color in them. I will send you a more specific email later in the week!
N
Ah, too bad, such a pretty color in the rod, too... that was a VERY RARE pale, pale green that we won't make again. I unearthed some of it for the Boxes of Mystery (I have just one of those left, BTW) and you got the last piece. Thanks, Nancy! ~Jenny
Old 2008-04-07, 3:30pm

Its must be the Sphanum. I wasn't thinking of compatibility but I was trying to get a lighter sparkle so I could keep the beads a lighter color.
Thanks! That helps a lot!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-04-07, 4:30pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

PM'd you for the samplers!

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-04-07, 4:39pm

OK, really, I have all the TAG Aventurine packs spoken for.... thanks for the interest, and I can't wait to see if you guys all start to love green.
Old 2008-04-07, 6:23pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand Beads View Post
OK, really, I have all the TAG Aventurine packs spoken for.... thanks for the interest, and I can't wait to see if you guys all start to love green.
What is TAG?

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2008-04-07, 7:58pm
Pyromaniac

trautman art glass

I love green.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2008-04-08, 6:20am

Thanks Lana!! Thats the light sparkle I was thinking of! It is transparent thinned down!

LOVE the pictures!!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-04-14, 3:12pm

Woah!!! I got my samples today! I didn't know you had so many experimentals!! Thanks so much!

I have one question is there any silver in any of these?
Nevermind.... I read your papers and it looks like they are all aventurine and no silver colors...

Heidi

~~
~~

Last edited by Jamn!; 2008-04-15 at 11:49am.
Old 2008-04-18, 7:30am
Flamewoman

Has anyone tried GA Dragon's Eye? I am no expert (by far) but have used it in at least 60 imploded pendants and no problems. It is a nice green color.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2008-04-19, 2:01pm
Corgi Cult Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary K View Post
Has anyone tried GA Dragon's Eye? I am no expert (by far) but have used it in at least 60 imploded pendants and no problems. It is a nice green color.
Was that the glasstique color? I've never tried it as foliage in implosions, does it stay completely green if you use enough oxy?

Old 2008-04-19, 7:52pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwhim View Post
Was that the glasstique color? I've never tried it as foliage in implosions, does it stay completely green if you use enough oxy?
It was a glasstique color, but is now a regular production color. (Following info from the GA website.)

4838 Dragon's Eye

Transparent/Translucent

Color Description: This is a Carnival Royale, with more emphasis on reds and copper-metalics, and more control over the silver strike. Possessing a transparent green base, it transmits a beautiful green light. It is the best Carnival that Henry has ever made. If you have only one Carnival on your shelf, this is the most exotic one to have.

Properties: Transparent, translucent, striking-luster.

Working characteristics: Consider working first in a hot neutral flame. This will help to prevent muddying the copper and silver properties. Then use a reducing flame to bring out the reds and metallic surface treatments available.

Tips: Experiment by using clear frit or dots over Dragon's Eye before reducing the surface.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2008-04-20, 7:16am
Flamewoman

I wish I was better at photography, I'd show you what I have made with Dragon's eye. I have not had it go to any thing but green, I have not used it on the surface, I have imploded it in clear. It makes really lovely green for leaves around flowers, and I have made latticino with it ( stripes of green on clear then twisted spiral) coiled it on a maria, implode, back with black violet, and that is so beautiful. I love Dragon's Eye, one of my favorites, period. I will try to take some pictures today.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2008-04-20, 7:58am

I was told unofficially that it is a reformulated Teal Carnival which is (was) my GA favorite color. Its the base in my signature picture. I bought some but haven't tried it yet to see how it is different!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-04-20, 7:58pm
Corgi Cult Member

Too funny about the Dragon's Eye staying green! Here I've been getting my panties in a wad over green checking and the whole time I've had Dragon's Eye sitting in my stash that I've only used as surface color. Go figure!

Old 2008-04-21, 10:05pm
Flamewoman

Alright folks, I did my best. I got out my tri-pod, even my white photo cube, went outside in the sunlight, and here they are. This is Dragon's Eye. I made a twistie with 2 stripes on a 8mm clear rod, then coiled it on the maria, imploded, cooled and struck it in the back of the flame. One struck better than the other, due to thickness of clear. They both have black violet backing, and are made from the same twistie.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2008-04-21, 10:55pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Gee Whiz. I'm sitting on top of a pound of Dragons Eye, but for some reason
I never categorize it as "green" (perhaps because I'm an idjit ).
Gotta try that one out...

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-04-22, 6:12am
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Default the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence

For the leaves on my flower implosions, NS Jade cracks, but I've never had a problem with NS Forest Green. I've made quite a few beads with green exotic encircled with clear dots-then cover the whole thing with clear, and no cracking problems. On the surface I like NS Jade the best.

Old 2008-04-22, 6:21am
Pyromaniac

In deep implosions, how long does it usually take to see cracks or checking with greens?

And Mary, those are really pretty! Never would have thought Dragons Eye was green either.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2008-04-24, 4:24pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

I see the cracking when it comes out of the kiln, and my cycle for a marble is 5 hours at 1050, 2 1/2 hours at 925, about 2 hours at 800, etc. until I get to 1/2 -1 hour at 500, then the kiln shuts off and I let it cool to about 115 before I open the door.