Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2005-08-31, 2:40pm
back at it

Default Clear rods for implosion (?) pendants, how big?

I tried my first attempt at making boro pendants (not sure what the technique is called, implosion maybe?) and what a cool technique. My question is, what is a good size clear rod to do this with? The only one I had was WAY too small.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-08-31, 3:23pm
Boldly going

My first attempts at implosions were done on 10mm clear rod. Results were pretty good. I now use 14mm rod and am happy with that. Assuming your torch can melt it, the 14mm is what I'm gonna go with (just ordered more).

Hope this helps.

Many of life's failures are experienced by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. - Thomas Edison

|
|
|
Old 2005-09-01, 6:20pm
back at it

Thanks! I also saw your post on the glassworker's forum. I watched a clip from Crafter's Coast to Coast on an implosion pendant. The lampworker puntied up with a 4mm. I tried that today, what a mistake! It was wobbly all over the place. What size punty do you use? I was thinking maybe an 8mm would be better.

Old 2005-09-01, 7:15pm
Boldly going

Hi again.

I generally use an 8mm rod as my punty.

I had a look at your web site. Your Boro beads are kick ass! So different! I luv 'em. Are all the beads on your site Boro? Great color. My color skills are non existant. I'm waiting until I have a reliable source of O2 before I try any fancy colors. My oxycon is just not doing the job. I may even break down and take a Boro class. It would be my first real training.

Have a good one.

Many of life's failures are experienced by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. - Thomas Edison

|
|
|
Old 2005-09-05, 9:31am

Does anybody know of a tutorial on implosions?
thanks..
Old 2005-09-05, 10:53am
back at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakin's Glass Eye
Hi again.

I generally use an 8mm rod as my punty.

I had a look at your web site. Your Boro beads are kick ass! So different! I luv 'em. Are all the beads on your site Boro? Great color. My color skills are non existant. I'm waiting until I have a reliable source of O2 before I try any fancy colors. My oxycon is just not doing the job. I may even break down and take a Boro class. It would be my first real training.

Have a good one.
Thanks! Yep, all of the beads are boro. I still have my share of color mishaps but I've pretty much worked up a palette that is good for me. That is, until the next new color comes out! Always have to try the new stuff! I generally work in a pretty oxygen rich flame. I use a OG-15 generator which limits the size I can work and still get my colors. I really need to get my tanks filled to go larger. I tried one of the x-long Kalera presses and to get the glass hot enough (and not be there all day working it) I ended up reducing all of the colors. It was a pretty sad bead.

Old 2005-09-05, 10:56am
back at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1pne
Does anybody know of a tutorial on implosions?
thanks..
Here's one:

Flow Magazine Articles

Here's another, though not as good:

HGTV

And here's a great one:

Anakin's Glass Eye

Last edited by MaryAnn; 2005-09-05 at 11:01am.
Old 2005-09-10, 11:12pm

Thank you for the info....
Penny