Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2007-02-09, 9:40am
Dichro Addict

Default New camera - critique my pics please :)

I bought a new camera. I was very frustrated with the crispness of my old pictures. Am I on the right track?

Old camera (I know, it sucks!)

New camera. This was the second picture I took, so I'm hoping I can improve, but do you think it's better?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-02-09, 7:17pm

The crispness and definition of the beads is better, but the picture itself looks a little too bright/white to me. Lovely beads anyway!

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2007-02-09, 8:42pm
Dichro Addict

I agree! Thanks! I'll tweak it some more. I think I can get it where I will be happy.

Old 2007-02-15, 12:40pm

Yes, better. I agree too whiteor bright, probably something to do with levels (which are over my head). Let us know how you fix this, please.

(website in construction)
Old 2007-02-15, 12:43pm

It seems a little over exposed, but the beads look crisp and clear

J.
"Hatred is never ended by hatred but by love, and a misunderstanding is never ended by argument but by tact, diplomacy, conciliation, and a sympathetic desire to see the other person's viewpoint." ~The Buddha | “We are all humans and none of us is more human than the other.” Romeo Dallaire "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up." ~ Rev.Jesse Jackson]
Old 2007-02-15, 1:02pm
Dichro Addict

Well, here's a picture of my latest set. I am happy, but now I have to get rid of the shadows. I guess I'll try the phototent I bought but never used. Thanks for your input. Rose, I adjusted the shutter speed and aperture values on my camera so the picture on the LCD screen looked darker.

Old 2007-02-15, 1:47pm
Crazy Snake Lady

It looks like you have an awesome new camera and now you just need to get accustomed to it.

Here is a shot of my new tent setup. It's really improved the quality of my photos.

Photo Tent

Here is a shot of my latest set of beads using the new setup. This was taken with my old camera because I'm still waiting for my new camera to arrive. Even using the old camera the quality is 100% better with the tent, background, and proper lighting.

Old 2007-02-15, 3:39pm
Dichro Addict

Laurie your picture looks awesome! Clear beads can't be easy to shoot and you did great. I'm convinced! I'll try the tent tonight and see what I get. I've been so happy because I used to fiddle and fiddle in the photoediter and now I just crop and resize and sharpen a little. That's it.

Old 2007-02-15, 8:18pm

Lenora - I like your new set a lot, it is very pretty. I like the etched plain black beads in contrast with the other beads, it helps them pop.

The picture is bothering me. I appears blurry/fuzzy and it is not at all. I've looked at it a lot, I think it is the background. It has a texture and my eye is drawn to the background, not the bead (this is not good). I would recommend a plain background with no texture.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2007-02-15, 8:37pm
Dichro Addict

Lara,
I agree with you. The funny thing is, there is no texture on the paper. I think it's from the shadow. Hopefully when I use the tent and get rid of the shadow, the illusion of texture will go away. Thanks for your input, and I totally agree!!!

Old 2007-02-15, 11:19pm

Lenora. Don't go to the tent. Your on the right track. Ask yourself why you have two shadows. The sun produces one! Why do you feel like you deserve two. Just a clue. You are too smart to settle for an answer. Figure it out for yourself from the clue. In the long run this will serve you well.

Photography is made of parts. What part do you control? What part do you need to solve? The best clue! Learn how to see. Just look. What do you feel is great about others photography. What do you hate about yours. What do you love about yours. There sleeps the answer. Sooner or later "Everything that rise's will converge." Carl Marsh.
Scott

ESTY

Last edited by Tanner Studios; 2007-02-15 at 11:39pm.
Old 2007-02-18, 10:10pm
Dichro Addict

Okay. I was using two lights on the sides because I didn't want the reflection of light you get from an overhead light. But that gave me shadows. I used the tent and added a third light on top. I think I finally got it. Well, I'm happy anyway. The color seems more true to life as well. Thanks for your input everyone. Scott, you are awesome! The info you posted in another thread about camera settings was invaluable. You saved me so much time!!!

Last edited by lenora; 2007-02-18 at 10:27pm.
Old 2007-02-19, 1:02am

Lenora, The photo is great. But you could still push it a bit. Squeeze the black and white points. You may find a beautiful surprise!
Scott

ESTY
Old 2007-02-19, 9:26am
Dichro Addict

Scott, I have no idea what that means!!! I would be so appreciative if you could explain squeezing the black and white points to me!