Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2008-01-14, 9:55am

Default Old Sony Cyber shot 3.2

I have a 6 yr old sony cyber shot w/ 3.2 megapixels. I struggle w/ photos but finally found my instruction book hoping to figure out how to get closer up, get nice bright pics w/ a white background etc...Not quite there yet.
I am hoping to bypass the photo tent,lights etc and just use sunny days as my lighting...(in the shade) but was wondering if by chance anyone on here has the same camera or another sony cyber shot that you have figured out all the correct settings needed to take great bead pics?
Thanks for any advice!
Amanda
Old 2008-01-14, 10:45am
Dichro Addict

I'm not an expert, but I have a Sony Cybershot dsc-h2 as well as a little compact Cybershot. Does your camera have manual settings where you can adjust the aperture, etc.? Do you know the model number?

I use a tripod, one light and a piece of background paper.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-01-14, 11:56am

Hi!
On the top it says smart xoom DSC-P72 and the sony sticker on the bottom says 1472880 which i assume is the model #.
The manual doesn't have an area for "aperature" but mentions EV adjustment which I assume is Exposure Value? Possible the same thing? In that EV area it says -2.0 up to 2.0 in small increments.
Hope this gives you an idea...?
Amanda
Old 2008-01-14, 1:07pm
Dichro Addict

Again, I am not an expert on photography...

My Cybershot has all manual settings, so I put it on Manual and adjust the shutter speed for several different pictures. I'm not sure if you can adjust the shutter speed manually on your camera. You could try adjusting the EV. Just take several different pictures with different EVs and see what you get. Maybe someone else has that same camera. I wish I could help more.

Old 2008-01-17, 6:46pm
sous verre

I have the DSC-P71 3.2 mgpxl camera. I did find it difficult at times to shoot close-ups of small objects. That said, outside or natural light at a window is best for me. You can use a light tent if there's too much glare also.

I use the spot meter which illuminates the object. For settings, I generally use Auto which seems to do the trick. I will adjust the EV setting to - or + depending if I need a little more or less light. I use the 1280 X 960 picture size. Try not to zoom in too close on the object as it gets blurry. I did finally purchase a Fuji Camera that enables me to have more manual control over the settings. I'm getting the hang of that....
Old 2008-01-17, 8:02pm

Jeanne,
Thanks!
I just checked the settings I've messed with... It was set on spot meter and the EV at -2 w/ flash on. I also had the snow mode on since I'm using a white sheet of paper. All of the pictures are coming out very washed out w/ a bad glare on whatever is in the center...Maybe if I try the same settings in sun/bright shade w/ no flash?
What do you mean by picture size being 1260x960? Lost me there...Sorry.
Amanda
Old 2008-01-18, 7:13am
sous verre

Hi Amanda - First of all, don't use the flash. That will give you glare. Don't know what snow is because my camera doesn't have that setting.

From your description, you have too much light. Try a picture with the snow on and off.

You can change your image size of the pictures on the camera. Look for that. I find that the smallest size is a little grainier (640 x480). If you go too big and have to resize a lot you lose some quality. That's why I pick the second size of 1280 x960.

Try going with the auto setting for light. No flash and EV set to 0. Look through the viewer and see how bright it is. If it looks dark go + on the EV. Too bright - go down. Go one step at a time. Take about 10 pics or so of the same piece. You can put a slip of paper in the picture indicating your settings so you can see which looks best and work from there.

Sometimes I find if I focus on the piece and let the camera beep, I then move the camera so the center focus mark is a little to the left or right of the bead and take the picture. The spot light isn't as bright on the bead.

Sometimes I found that if I was taking a picture of a pendant and I had others laying off to the side in the picture (I had just moved them over) - those pieces looked great! Also, what photo editing software are you using?

I am by no means an expert but I hope these things help you a little!
Old 2008-01-19, 8:48am

Thanks!
Finally we've got a good sunny day out today so I'll be doing lots of experimenting!! I"ll try your settings and post later to report back-lol.
Amanda
Old 2008-02-01, 8:27pm

Quote:
You can put a slip of paper in the picture indicating your settings so you can see which looks best and work from there.
Hi! I read this because I have an older camera. The tip to put the settings on a piece of paper in the picture is a great idea! My camera doesn't show meta-data so this will really help me learn as I go, especially since my note taking isn't the best.

Quote:
Sometimes I find if I focus on the piece and let the camera beep, I then move the camera so the center focus mark is a little to the left or right of the bead and take the picture. The spot light isn't as bright on the bead.
I just tried my spot meter for the first time tonight. I loved that it lightened the bead up a lot even with with just ok indoor lighting at night! But it was too light and I didn't know how to compensate for that. I'll try moving the focus mark. What a great idea. I don't know how the meter works so never would have thought of that.

Quote:
Sometimes I found that if I was taking a picture of a pendant and I had others laying off to the side in the picture (I had just moved them over) - those pieces looked great!
Don't you love those happy accidents?

Quote:
Also, what photo editing software are you using?
What are YOU using?

Thanks a bunch from me too!

Old 2008-02-05, 10:01pm
Gay rights R human rights

I have that camera but I dont use it anymore. I have a 7.2 cybershot now. I think that the 3.2 has a macro setting. Look for a tulip. You are better off getting the camera close to the bead if it does have the macro rather than zooming in on the bead. The quality is better.

bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2008-02-19, 9:12pm

Another idea regarding putting a slip of paper with your settings in the picture:
Take a picture of the slip of paper with your settings, and next take a picture of your bead. I keep forgetting I don't have to worry about wasting film.
And this way I don't have to worry about editing out the paper if the picture turns out well.