Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2008-10-29, 11:36pm

Default Purple Beads Look Blue.

Hi everyone,

I have pretty good luck with my pictures, except for purple. On my monitor they always look blue. This keeps me from making many purple beads because the pictures are not at all accurate. I use a photocube with a natural light. I then photoshop them to get rid of the gray background. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Laurel
Old 2008-10-30, 2:17am
Goddess

Funny you should mention this! I have this exact same problem. I was up for hours last night trying to get the true colors to show and finally just gave up and didn't list the bead...very frustrating. I hope someone has a solution to this!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-10-30, 5:25am
NW Oregon

Same problem here! I always have to go into photoshop and change the Red setting. I'm not happy with the results because it turns the background an unhealthy shade of pink. I have this problem with both my Nikon D40 and my trusty Canon.

I recently switched my camera to Spot Focus in the hope that it will catch the true color of the purple but haven't downloaded yet to see if it helped.

Suggestions appreciated!

Jennifer
Highland Beads
Old 2008-10-30, 10:49pm

If you are under exposing or over exposing, the color can change when you compensate for the exposure. Color casts can also change the color. If you are using natural light, clouds, time of day, building walls around you, green trees, etc., can all give color casts that our eyes adjust for and we don't notice.

Also it's possible your monitor is not showing colors correct in the blue spectrum. This could cause you to mis-correct them or think they don't look natural when they would on someone elses monitor. Having them printed is a good way to tell how they really appear.

The best and easiest way to make sure your color is correct, even if your monitor is not, is to use a neutral gray or white card in the picture somewhere. You can even use a Kodak or McBeth gray exposure card as long as it is a neutral gray. I perfer a white/gray/black card myself. That way when I bring my image into Photoshop I can open up the Levels palette, take the left eye droper and click on the black, take the right eye droper and click on white. Color balance is adjusted and true. Then when I adjust the exposure and contrast, I'm working with correct color and it gets adjusted evenly.

For jewerly, beads and other small things, the small WhiBal card or the small Calibration Target is idea. I like the WhiBal because it is really small and can be put in the image where it can be cropped out. They even have a key ring WhiBal card now.
Here is a link to the WhiBal: http://www.rawworkflow.com/whibal/

Here is a link to the Digital Calibration Target:
http://www.photovisionvideo.com/stor...egory_Code=DCT

There are also other brands out there, McBeth makes one also. I have a McBeth Color Chart but they aren't cheap. Some people like the Expo Disk but I've never cared for it as it has it's limitations as well and is not cheap. For really cheap and can actually be very close, is a white coffee filter... unused of course or it throws the color off.

But to get accurate color without a lot of guess work, you really need a accurate color source to compare against.

Mike
Old 2008-11-01, 4:27am
Goddess

Hi Mike, thank you for all the info! This was super helpful! I'm going to try setting something white in my background and see if that helps.

Old 2008-11-02, 9:06pm
NW Oregon

Yes, thank you for the tips. I just finished a two day show and have another show next weekend.....not much time to experiment but I'll try it asap.

Jennifer
Highland Beads