Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2010-12-14, 9:42am
Formerly Bakerman44

Default HDR DSLR cameras

So, I'm in the market for a new camera (special thanks to santa). I really want an SDLR camera but realize they are very expensive. I want an entry level camera (prob no more than $700 for camera and basic lens).

So, plenty of options right? Well I don't know much about these cameras but I know they each excel in their own way. I really want an in-camera HDR option. The only two that I can confirm that have it are the Pentax k-x and the Sony alpha 550.

Are there any other entry level cameras out there? The reason I ask is because only about half the time are these features mentioned in item descriptions. I also like the Nikon (or is it Canon) that has emphasis on in-camera photo editing. If i could program the camera to take 3 or 4 photos automatically changing the EV each time that would be awesome. But I don't want to have to go to photoshop each time. Some automatic photo stitching would be pretty cool.

Things that aren't really that important for me are size and weight, battery life (if i can buy replacement batteries or extra battery packs). i just want an easy to use camera for now, but still enough stuff that i can learn about and enjoy later and not have to revert to photoshop (which i suck at)

thanks folks

justin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-12-14, 12:09pm
Just at the begining

The feature you want to look for is Autobracketing, this will allow you to take 3 or more shots with different EV settings, most cameras can do 3, but some of the higher end cameras can do 7. Typically with 3 you set it to -2,0,+2.

here is a link to a camera list that has autobracketing

http://www.hdr-photography.com/aeb.html

I hope this helps.

Last edited by JoeDeM; 2010-12-14 at 12:15pm.
Old 2010-12-14, 2:14pm
Formerly Bakerman44

well it's certainly a list to build from!! thank you so much. I wonder if there is a site that lists the ones that would stitch them together in-camera. I'm trying to avoid photoshop!! haha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-12-14, 5:12pm

The problem with a camera that does it all, it usually does it all only half as good. HDR is where you take multiple shots of the same thing using different settings, usually fstops (but it could be focus points) and then combining those together to bring out different areas of the picture (usually open up the shadows while leaving detail in the highlights without blowing it out). HDR is much better done in the computer rather than the camera. Bracketing is where you take multiple images that are above and below the automatic camera set fstop and shutter speed and then pick the one that is better. You can also combine the multiple images using HDR software. A lot of cameras will do bracketing, usually with 3 images but I don't know any off the top of my head that do HDR in the camera itself, although I suppose there are some.

There are a number of stitching programs available. I've used one for years that is pretty much automatic as long as I get the pictures lined up correctly. The most I've done is about 57 images taken sequential for a very wide panorama. I had more but my computer ran out of memory. There is also software that will do vertical as well as horizontal so you can stitch together images taken horizontal as well as vertical. I've also done stitched close up images where I've taken 5 to 7 shots across of very small objects so I could get some very detailed large images without having to enlarge the image.

You might consider getting a camera that has a lot of flexibility with manual settings and buy the best lenses you can afford and then use software to do the rest. You will find that a PC is going to have lot more power at manipulating images than the camera has.

Mike
Old 2010-12-14, 5:19pm
Formerly Bakerman44

thanks mike...after continuing my research, i think im going to go with the lions share of the market (canon/nikon) because ill more easily get my questions answered and have a wider range of lenses and accessories to choose from. Im going to change directions with my search and go from there..find one that's more point and shoot friendly, but still has some advanced functions and settings. Thanks for the tips. I think you're right with the HDR in the pc. more room to view and tweek and such.

thanks!
justin

Old 2010-12-14, 5:30pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

I have a Panasonic Lumix & love it. It's actually my 2nd one. My daughter has a big Olympus SLR, but she uses my Lumix a lot. I rarely have to do anything to my photos other than cropping.

Vivian

-

Old 2010-12-16, 4:07am
Now part of the Dark Side

Don't be afraid of Photoshop, Photoshop is your best friend. It's expensive but worth it if you professional results. Personally I'm a Nikon fan, but once you leave the realm of consumer cameras and enter the pro and semi pro world, you get what you pay for. There are some rabid Nikon and Cannon lovers out there that will disagree, but at that price point it's more about features and how the hardware and software are laid out and you work style than anything else. It took me a good 6 months to transition from film to digital. Photoshop is a digital darkroom, not just retouching software. Kinda like having a set of retouching pencils vs a real darkroom for film.
Old 2010-12-16, 9:05am
Formerly Bakerman44

i'm split between the canon t2i and the nikon d5000. i keep hearing nikon..but i love to super sharp lcd for checking blurry photos on the t2i

Last edited by Cornbread; 2010-12-16 at 11:21pm.
Old 2010-12-16, 6:25pm

If it helps, I believe Canon is the best choice... and I have the white lenses and black ones with the red stripe to prove it.

Nikon is a very close 2nd choice though.

Mike
Old 2010-12-16, 11:19pm
Formerly Bakerman44

i ran in to a buddy that has picked up photography and he has tons of lenses he would sell me and lend me to match my canon t2i. also any type of questions i have he'd answer for me. he said he picked up the hobby with the t1i and it was a great learning camera and the t2i is just a beefier version. so I've made my choice...time for santa to shoot down the chimney!