Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2011-03-12, 1:11am
Mad about Glass

Default 4-stud Scorpion question

I run my Scorpion on NG and an 8lpm 20psi Airsep oxycon. I want to get another oxycon for the outer fire. Do both oxycons have to be the same lpm and psi? I was thinking of a 10lpm for the outer fire as the Chinese oxycons are so much sheaper in Australia. I can get a Canta in 8 or 10lpm but I think the psi is lowrr than the Airsep.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[url]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-03-12, 2:26am
Alaska Boro

Run a Scorpoin on NG at .4 PSI or 11 WC and find that two 5 LPM machines at 9.5 PSI offer sufficient oxygen for that fuel level. If running propane at 5 PSI then there is the need for three 5 LPM machines as there is more fuel available and at a higher pressure.

All three machines run into a small manifold with a pair of oxygen lines running to the two ports. Have been keeping the oxygen on at all times for the outer flame and only turn on the NG when required for more heat or a wider flame. Thus no need for a foot pedal at this time.

In your case with a separate machine on each port it is important that the oxygen be on at all times. If one intends to turn off the oxygen on the outer ring, then a bypass is needed to protect the machine from a blocked flow condition.

Since the ports on the 4 stud torches are separate the PSI need not match. Run one machine on the outer and one on the inner should just be fine. However if your two machines were to be combined into a "Y" or a manifold then the pressure matters.
Old 2011-03-12, 4:14am
Mad about Glass

Thanks so much for that information.

[url]

Old 2011-03-15, 5:32am
Melting

I have my inner and outer on two different oxycons. I leave both my oxycons all the time, and if my outer ring is off, I leave my oxy valve open on the torch to bleed my oxycon and help give oxygen to my inner ring. I am running an M5 for my inner and an M15 for my outer. GTT recommended this over the bleeder valve as it is easier, cheaper, and helps provide extra oxygen for the inner ring.

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2011-03-20, 4:33am
Mad about Glass

Thanks tnehlers.

[url]