Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2011-03-20, 10:21am

Default Should I replace my camera?

Hi all,
I have a cannon rebel SLR DS6041. It takes 6.3 megapixels. I want to start putting my beads on the web and am wondering if I should get a different camera to take the pictures. I would definitely get a Cannon and wonder if I should get a new one which I should go for. In reading some of the threads here I guess it would definitely be one of the power shot cameras. I've never been quite satisfied with pictures of beads I've taken but I'm not sure if it's the camera or the user (my guess would be user).

Thanks for any input as I have no clue.

Mary Di
Old 2011-03-20, 12:15pm

Don't get caught up in a megapixel race. IMO, for the web, there's nothing you can't do with your Rebel that some other camera can do vastly better. It's lighting and setup that make all the difference. I'm not a Canon user, but one area that you might look at is the lens. Most of what people call "kit" zooms, that is, zooms that come with the camera, can do a lot, and often OK macro work, but they can't compete with a real macro lens in terms of sharpness and color/tonal rendition. Naturally you'll also want a solid tripod (on a solid floor, never carpet) and a good image processing program. Show me some photos!

CH
Old 2011-03-20, 12:29pm
Entropy increasing....

Conrad is right, more pixels is not what your problem is. The web uses what? 90 pi now? You could blow up a 6.5 pixel photo to 11x14 and it would look just fine. I assume you aren't going to be blowing them up to poster size?

We need to see some photos so we can help more.
Old 2011-03-20, 12:42pm
Experimentalist

I took fabulous close-ups of beads and jewelry (I only sell online) for about ten years with a 3.1 megapixel camera.

Before you invest in a new camera, try yours out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-03-20, 12:51pm

I Have a cannon 100mm macro lens but I cannot seem to get close enough to the beads to get a decent sized image (?). I've been using, believe it or not an 18-55mm lens at the 55mm setting. Here are a few pictures I've taken with that lends on my patio in open shade.

I know I really need to improve my web and bead photo skills. Thank you for your help.
Mary Di
Old 2011-03-20, 2:12pm

Mary, you need some frontal fill light on your beads. Not a lot, but that will open up the color. Also, increase the contrast a bit in your editing software. Almost everything I see in the glass forums could benefit from increased contrast by at least a few points.

While I agree with the comments about not needing lots of pixels for web work, the one advantage from a larger number of pixels is you get richer deeper colors because there is more information stored in the image. It's like doing a 4x5 print with a 35mm negative verses doing a contract print from a 4x5 negative... for those that use to do darkroom work.

The other thing about the newer cameras, besides having more pixels, they are smarter as well. The camera computer is better able to handle contrast, low light, shadows and highlights better than the digital cameras of even a few years ago. They are probably cheaper compared to older versions as well. So there are advantages to upgrading if your camera is more than 3 to 5 years old.

I also agree about the tripod, but you can shoot on a rug. If the camera is too light (I don't have that problem with my 1DMKII) to really plant the tripod feet, then add some weight to the tripod. Some have a hook underneath the tripod head and you can hang something heavy there or strap some exercise leg weights (everyone has leg weights it seems) around the tripod legs. I've even used gallon jugs of water and bags of sand out in the field when I wanted a rock steady tripod. But even a couple of pounds will help dampen any vibration or tendency to wiggle when you trip the shutter at low speeds.

Your bead shots are not that far off. The transition light between full shade and full sunlight is an excellent source of light. I've used this area in garages where the sun is shinning into the garage. I just back up until I'm in the transition area between full sunlight and the garage full shadow. You have to be quick since it changes so fast, but it's great light... not only glass but portraits as well.

Mike
Old 2011-03-20, 2:34pm

Thank you for your comments Mike,
By frontal light do you mean a fill light, bounced light or just facing more into the light? I usually do increase the contrast but will certainly increase it more as the photos do seem flat to me on the screen.
Although I may not go through with it, I am also still considering getting a newer camera. Do you have any suggestions as to which Cannon would be best.

Again, Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

Mary Di
Old 2011-03-20, 3:52pm

Mary, you just need fill light. A large sheet of white cardboard would work to reflect some light back onto the front of the bead. You don't need a lot and you want it to be a large light source (such as a large piece of cardboard) so it doesn't create a reflective highlight reflecting off the glass.

One trick I use to use for reflectors was to get the window screen kits at Home Depot that are aluminum channels and you lay screen across them and then push round rubber bands into the channels to tighten and hold the screen tight. I would get white sports nylon (I like this over ripstop nylon) at JoAnn's and put that in the screen kit rather than screen material. You can get a 4'x4' reflector and it also works great as a light diffuser or even a background. Very versatile. I also made these out of PVC pipe when I needed bigger light panels.

I'm not really familiar with the cameras that are out there, so it's hard for me to make a recommendation... other than I'm partial to Canon as well (I think they make the best lenses). One thing you want to look for, is a camera that lets you have a lot of manual control. If you can set your own fstop, ISO and shutter speed, that will help you control a lot of situations. If you can control focus points (i.e. select one focus point vs 3 or 5, etc.) and do custom white balance, that's even better. Ease of focusing is also important for doing close up photography. A lot of point and shoots don't give you these options, or they are very limited and in most cases, it doesn't matter when you are taking pictures of the kids or dog or scenery, but for close ups, it can matter.

Mike
Old 2011-03-20, 3:54pm
Ready to hit the road

Canon rebel T2i with the EF-S 60 mm f/2.8 macro lens. I still need to read up some more on how to fine tune it, but it is so nice compared to my old one. And a light tent with fill lights will help.

Old 2011-03-20, 6:40pm

Thanks Mike,
I have some large sheets of white foamcore I think I'll try. Also, my cannon has all the features (I think) you're talking about. Since I have a 100mm 2.8 macro lens I think I'll work with what I have for awhile. After that I"ll decide if I really need a newer camera.

Betsy, your post on the EF-S 60mm got me reading about macro lenses and the 100mm got some great reviews also. Maybe it's time to really learn how to use what I have instead of jumping into something new. That way if I do end up getting a new camera I'll have a better idea of why I need it. Thanks for the input.
Old 2011-03-20, 7:15pm
Jacqueline Parkes

FYI, my camera is only 1.2 mega pixels hehe

Old 2011-03-20, 7:42pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

I have an older version of your camera.

Are you using manual focus? I set my camera to the AV setting and manually focus. Use a tripod and use the timed setting. Play with the av setting to increase the shutter time to lighten up your pics.

Old 2011-03-20, 7:42pm

That does it. I've been drooling over your 5 mo challenge thread and your pics are great! As I suspected "user error". How I hate that. Thanks for piping up Gems.
Old 2011-03-20, 7:48pm
Sheila Davis Designs

What kind of camera do you use Jaqueline? Your pics are great.

Old 2011-03-20, 7:48pm

Thanks Debbie, I will take your suggestions. Thanks for the help
Mary