Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2005-08-23, 11:14am
Dildo Kween!

Question Tutorial Please? Viking Knit Chain

I've asked a few times, but I've gotten no response so I'll post it here.

If someone would kindly send or give me a tutorial on the Viking Knit Chain I'd be ever so happy!

Is this the "made on a spool with nails" that you hook your silver on - then knit it like a sock knitting machine) - pulling the finished wire thru the spools hole?

Someone? Please? Anyone?

I would make you a nice beadie..... *waving bead under your nose*

Thanks for giving the time

Heidi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Tutorials have been FREE since 2001

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-08-23, 11:17am
Back from the Dark Side

Heidi, it is wrapped around a dowel. You work about two inches of the chain then slide it up. I know there is an awesome article in Art Jewelry...I want to say may or juneish issue. I also have a handout type thing i may be able to share.

~
~
~
Steal List - 48, 50, 60, 32, and 29 for now
Old 2005-08-23, 11:19am
Back from the Dark Side

Well duh....I have the magazine...I could send you the handout thing! Pm your addy to me and I'll drop it in the mail. It is the one done by Anne Mitchell.

~
~
~
Steal List - 48, 50, 60, 32, and 29 for now
Old 2005-08-23, 12:45pm
Metallic Flame Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi von Frozenfyre
I've asked a few times, but I've gotten no response so I'll post it here.

If someone would kindly send or give me a tutorial on the Viking Knit Chain I'd be ever so happy!

Is this the "made on a spool with nails" that you hook your silver on - then knit it like a sock knitting machine) - pulling the finished wire thru the spools hole?

Someone? Please? Anyone?

I would make you a nice beadie..... *waving bead under your nose*

Thanks for giving the time

Heidi

HeidiHoodle,

try Sharon Hessoun's website:

http://www.beadeckedonline.com/

Her book Knitting with wire and her tools are DA BOMB. She (as a person) is even better than that!!! If you email her, tell her Stacy (her roomie from the BeadArt BeadyRetreaty) says hello!!!

Stac

Kickin' it on a Knight, a Betta, a 'Cuda, and a SmithLittle with 3 Oxycons, Playing with Fire Since February 2004
Check out our new journey into Metal (yes, including tools) and glass...

Old 2005-08-23, 2:08pm

Oh Ms. Heidi, you're the third person who asked about this in the last 24. I can do it . . . but current client load is staggering (that's good cause it pays the rent!). Do you want to barter for now? PM me.

FYI, I had some on eBay 2 weeks ago . . .
Old 2005-08-23, 2:34pm
Dildo Kween!

No, I want to do it myself. I have a lot of idle hours babysitting and since he's a newborn, he sleeps alot

I'd just like to know how to do it. I am a silversmith - I have loads of the wire... just need to learn. Dats all I think it's explained in Oppi Unterachts book - but for the life of me I can't find it! (It was around $200 for the book and I have a feeling I stupidly lent it out)

So I'll look at the links given and get it figured out

THANKS EVERYONE! makes me feel not-so-invisible

Heidi

Old 2005-08-23, 4:13pm

I think Jo, from Dogmaw glass does this too. Jo, you out there?
Old 2005-08-23, 4:23pm
Moving On

I found great instructions online....hold on, I'll find the link:
Here you go: http://userweb.suscom.net/~apollonia...ass%20Handouts

I printed it out, but haven't tried it yet!-Gail

Old 2005-08-23, 4:36pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi von Frozenfyre
No, I want to do it myself. I have a lot of idle hours babysitting and since he's a newborn, he sleeps alot

I'd just like to know how to do it. I am a silversmith - I have loads of the wire... just need to learn. Dats all I think it's explained in Oppi Unterachts book - but for the life of me I can't find it! (It was around $200 for the book and I have a feeling I stupidly lent it out)

Heidi

It would be perfect for your time with the baby! I'll get you going . . . sent you a pm.
Old 2005-08-24, 9:12am
Who me?

http://groups.msn.com/FineWire/spoolknitting.msnw
Old 2005-08-24, 11:05am

I use a wooden dowel, no nails or crochet hook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamper
Old 2005-08-24, 12:35pm
Dildo Kween!

Kewlness! This should be fun! Of course... all I do is have fun

Old 2005-08-29, 2:26pm

Talking

I use 28 or 30 gauge fine silver.... No dowel ... Need darning needle size will give you your loops

To start make 4 or 5 twisted pieces of wire with small loops on the end attach them all together at the bottom, loops should all end at the same place/level .. and be arranged in a circle

Cut a piece of wire 2 or 3 feet long (You'll get a feel for the right length) hold onto a couple of inches of wire to get started. Start with the wire on the inside of the loops go from the inside outside wrap the wire around your darning needle and go back into the loop you just came out of and out the next one going clockwise.... just keep going round and round...

To add stitches just make a loop with the wire between real loops to decrease
just pull the wire tight don't make the loop

To add wire end on the inside twist the new peice onto the old one and keep going.

If this doesn't make sense email me or PM me and I'll try and scan some hand drawn (that should be a laugh) drawings...

When it is all done pull it through a draw plate to even it out, my draw plate is a metal knitting needle gauge, works great!

Lynne

Addendum I use brass wire to make my holder and also do the first inch or so in brass.... The number of stiitches you use is what dictates the size your kinitting will end up... So get the 'chain' to the diameter you want before you switch to silver then just snip the brass off the bottom when you are done, you can use your brass starter over and over again....

Last edited by Islandgirl; 2005-08-29 at 2:39pm.
Old 2005-08-30, 3:50pm

Default Viking Splendor

I found the exact issue with instructions for the Viking Knit Chain by Kate Ferrant & Anne Mitchell (if you still want to check it out). It's the March 2005 issue of Art Jewelry (Volume 1 Issue 3). They use a dowel, nice photos.

It was "by chance" that I found it. My mom had left a magazine open on the table, folded back on some advertising page & I picked it up out of curiosity and started flipping through it.

Tracy J

Old 2005-10-12, 1:00pm

Question

I've seen the Appolonia instructions, I bought the Irene book, I am really not stupid but I think I am having a mental block. If someone could enlighten me I would be so happy!

I understand the single knit. No problem - BUT - to do the double knit, go back two rows and loop in the prior loops - good so far. Got it.

THEN WHAT?

Continue single stitch for two rows and go back two rows to do the double? Is that the repetition? I don't get it...

Anyone?
Old 2005-10-12, 1:29pm
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyPhelps
I've seen the Appolonia instructions, I bought the Irene book, I am really not stupid but I think I am having a mental block. If someone could enlighten me I would be so happy!

I understand the single knit. No problem - BUT - to do the double knit, go back two rows and loop in the prior loops - good so far. Got it.

THEN WHAT?

Continue single stitch for two rows and go back two rows to do the double? Is that the repetition? I don't get it...

Anyone?
I'm not sure I can phrase this right, but when you are doing the double, you are always going up two rows, or two rungs of the ladder. Every stitch you make is making another "rung", so essentially, every time you take a stitch, it is one row lower than the previous one, and two rows up from the bottom.

Clear as mud???

Old 2005-10-12, 3:42pm

Gail - Scary thing - that makes perfect sense! Thank you so much. (I might be back after I try it tonight if I fail miserably)
Old 2005-10-24, 1:55am
Bitten by the travel bug

Just a quick tip - if you use a hex 9alan) key, instead of dowel, it gives you some room to manouver. If it gets to tight to fit the wire behind the loop, just give a 1/4 turn and you will have more room.

Suzanne
Old 2005-10-24, 6:40am
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzFromOz
Just a quick tip - if you use a hex 9alan) key, instead of dowel, it gives you some room to manouver. If it gets to tight to fit the wire behind the loop, just give a 1/4 turn and you will have more room.

Suzanne
What a GREAT piece of advice!!!! Thanks!--Gail

Old 2005-10-24, 10:09am

Gail, by the way, is a patient, wonderful teacher! I finally mastered this - ok, mastered might be too strong a word.

The dowel works well for larger gauge wire, I just cut a notch in one area and use it to put the wire behind the "x"s. Just turn the work. It's a lot faster than what I WAS doing, which was sticking a darning needle to raise up each loop.

My biggest problem was figuring out how to do the double knit. Gail made me understand that you still need to use the "rung" concept. This drawing summed it all up for me and made it click.

Hope this helps someone avoid all the aggravation I went through!

Edited 3/19/07
These two pics should help, I hope. Once you've begun the double, you will just continue doing it in that 2nd loop up from then on. Go behind the 2nd "X"... I used a needle to demonstrate, and I find working on a hex key to be the easiest.
Attached Images

Last edited by ChristyPhelps; 2007-03-19 at 8:24am.
Old 2005-10-24, 7:02pm
Senior Moment

I use a number 2 pencil when doing the Viking knit. If you use the octagon shaped instead of a round one you can usually work the wire in easily. Also I start students out using 28 gauge fine silver because it is very easy to work with. After doing a few projects you can switch to heavier gauge wire. It takes about 8 yards of 28 guage wire to do a 5 inch length which will draw to a 7 inch chain and with a toggle it is just right for most wrists. If you move up to 24 gauge it takes about an ounce of wire to do a bracelet.
Sharon
sabood@insight.rr.com
Old 2005-12-28, 6:34pm
MomOnAMission

Anyone want to make a draw plate so I can buy it from you? lol ~ i'm serious
Old 2005-12-28, 7:15pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

My DH made mine from a scrap of hardwood....just drilled holes of decreasing size. If you want one like that (it works great) just PM me and I'll have him make one and I'll send it your way....it's a freebie!!!

Old 2006-01-05, 10:24pm

You are all to cool. I have just bought a book on it and it is very clear as to how to do it. I just want to know how to do the double cable knit. I have been trying that for a day. The single is very clear. Then I'm going on to the chain mail chain. At least I will turn greyer with doing that one. Have fun Heidi It is fun. Here is the book I bought. Great Wire Jewelry author Irene FRom Peterson. It has projects in it also. Gauges of wire as well. I think that is one purchase that was the best so far in a while.
Old 2006-01-07, 10:52pm
Bitten by the travel bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Abood
I use a number 2 pencil when doing the Viking knit. If you use the octagon shaped instead of a round one you can usually work the wire in easily. Also I start students out using 28 gauge fine silver because it is very easy to work with. After doing a few projects you can switch to heavier gauge wire. It takes about 8 yards of 28 guage wire to do a 5 inch length which will draw to a 7 inch chain and with a toggle it is just right for most wrists. If you move up to 24 gauge it takes about an ounce of wire to do a bracelet.
Sharon
sabood@insight.rr.com
anybody got a good online supplier for the silver wire? I ahve only played with this with cheapy craft wire, because I wanted to learn first and not risk stuffing up the silver. But the craft wire kinks really easily - I think the silver would work better. I would beinterested to hear an estimation of how much it costs to make a bracelet - say the 8 yards mentioned above?

Old 2006-01-08, 6:01am

I get mine from Imperial Smelting in Toronto Canada, they have an American presence too... you could try emailing them and see if they know of an Australian smelting co that you could buy direct from.... Or a hobby store in Australia that they sell too (most of the smelting co's work in mm not in gauges...) PM me if you want a conversion, thought I had it book marked somewhere on this computer!

Lynne
Old 2006-01-08, 12:07pm
Senior Moment

I buy from a local jewelry supply in Columbus, OH if I just need a small amount but for a large order for a class I order from Hoover & Strong online or by phone. They are very nice to deal with and they don't act like they think I'm stupid when I call with questions. They probably LTAO when they get off the phone
Sharon
Old 2006-01-08, 2:28pm

Ok I have a stupid question. I have the single knit down pretty good with the cheap wire. Now I want to do the double knit. Is it just the same stitch over the top of the first? I've been trying this and just about have it but not sure. Help please.

Rio Grande has the 26 gauge wire spool for $ 13.00 or $14.00 dollars. It Is thirty eight feet or yards. Not sure what he said. Any way it is 38 something. Hope this helps. I like working with them. They back every thing they have and sell.

Last edited by Rose Leslie; 2006-01-08 at 2:30pm.
Old 2006-01-15, 1:26pm
Lovin' every minute of it

I think for the double knit - you go up to the wire above the first one - like up two "rungs" rather than just the first one.

Christy Phelps' picture up above us somewhere is of double knit.

HTH.
-Dana
Old 2006-01-15, 7:53pm
Senior Moment

That is correct- go back two spaces to place your wire- see the diagram in Christy's reply? That is one of the best pictures I've seen to explain it.