Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-09-02, 4:28pm
Moving on!

Default All my transparants are going smokey

Quick question -
I don't think I'm doing anything differently from before, but it seems lately that all my light transparants are going smokey when I use them. Today it happened with gray, clear, light aqua and v. light lavendar.
I'm using Morretti and a minor. I don't think the propane is turned up too high.
Is it a cleaning issue that I have or something else?
Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- nothing right now.
Old 2006-09-02, 4:30pm
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

Do you have any dirt on the rods?
Happened to me one day, too much dust on the rods created a smokey film in the beads.

Old 2006-09-02, 4:53pm
Moving on!

Hi Liz;
The rods are really dusty now as I'm working out in the garage. I always wipe them clean before I use them - maybe I need to actually clean them with rubbing alcohol?

- nothing right now.
Old 2006-09-02, 6:22pm
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

well, maybe cleaning them with alcohol can help indeed.
Sometimes, dust can leave some kinda ''greasy'' film on the glass and it may cause the smokey effect in your beads. Well, since I'm cleaning the rods with rubbing alcohol, I don't have any trouble anymore!
Keep me posted.

Old 2006-09-04, 4:56pm
Susan

I'm seriously wondering if I have a bad propane batch. Tonight I got fed up and pulled off my regulator, tomorrow I am going to go get a new tank. I can't stand the smokey.. brownish discoloration that is happening to my clear. All of my beads look like they have this "surface" film on them when they are molten. I clean all my rods, I never noticed this kind of problem before. I mentioned this a few weeks ago because I noticed this bead I made had what looked like whisps of smoke trapped in the clear glass.

QUESTION: If I did have a bad batch of propane, will I have to buy new hoses now?

Old 2006-09-05, 7:31am

What is your oxygen source. If you are using a concentrator that you bought that was used... that could be the problem. It is very hard to gauge when a concentrator is waning.

Beads galore at my ebay store!

Minor with a REGALIA heavenly!
Old 2006-09-05, 1:02pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by !ngridh
What is your oxygen source. If you are using a concentrator that you bought that was used... that could be the problem. It is very hard to gauge when a concentrator is waning.
This is very true. You could have a purity problem and it would be difficult to tell because you can still have a blue flame. The blue flame will look "weaker," though.
Old 2006-09-05, 6:02pm
Susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster
This is very true. You could have a purity problem and it would be difficult to tell because you can still have a blue flame. The blue flame will look "weaker," though.

Oh boy.. I don't know. I keep the thing set at 3.5, would it help to up that at all?

Old 2006-09-05, 8:54pm
a pox upon an idiot :..

I'm guessing low propane or a bad batch of propane. I have problems everytime my propane gets too low so I swap out way before it does. I can always tell it's time when my black starts to get little bubbly crap right under the surface when I'm melting the glass. Try cleaning out your ports with the oxy running and see if it helps, if not try another propane dealer.

Edie
Old 2006-09-06, 3:48am

That is exactly how I tell I'm running out of propane.. it gets that smokey look...

Old 2006-09-06, 4:39am
Susan

Fortunately I have several empty cans... I have to trade in tanks for other tanks at our grocery store so yesterday I took in one of my other empty canisters and I got the guy to let me pick out what looked to be one of the newer cleaner looking tanks in hopes that it will be better. Going to try it out today.

Old 2006-09-06, 10:43am
PyronamixK

Well, what do your candles look like?
Old 2006-09-06, 2:03pm
Susan

I couldn't tell that my flame looked any different before. Changed out propane today and already I see a difference in how the glass is. Gone is that filmy look that seemed to be all over my clears when molten. Not entirely positive that it's fixed but I did make a big bead with all the colors that I did a couple of weeks ago when I first noticed the problem. Figured, same colors, same techniques and time to make should be enought to tell me if I am still seeing the old problem.