Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2008-06-03, 6:49pm

Default Looking for a good camera

I'm looking for a quality camera so I can start showing my creations. Does anyone know of a good inexpensive digital camera out there? Please help!
Thanks
Old 2008-06-03, 6:50pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

you might want to put this in the "dark room" subforum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-06-03, 6:52pm

Yes, Thank you.
Old 2008-06-04, 7:41pm

I usually use a Nikon L12 for bead photos. Set to Museum/Macro, rechargable batteries (goos ones) work better than disposable batteries. Light tent, flash off. Set exposure to +0.3 or +0.7 makes color correction almost unnecessary. I crop in photoshop.

The camera was ~120 at Sams last summer.
Pro's - cheap, good macro, works well with rechargable batteries, SD memory
Con's - since it's really not that adjustable, depth of field for jewelry shots is so/so, focus gets poor as batteries get weak, so keep a set charging.

Here are a couple examples.

Now, these aren't as good as you'll get with a camera that allows for more adjustments and a real macro lens, but it's quick, and inexpensive.
Old 2008-06-05, 12:07am
HourGlass Studio

Look for a camera that allows you to make exposure compensation adjustments, has a macro that has a close focusing distance. Try to get a camera that you can adjust you flashes intensity because sometimes you will need to use it and its nice to dial up or down the output.

Buy or make a photo tent and get some good lights....practice...practice....practice. Even with the best camera and lens it can be a challenge getting good pictures...LOL.

Best thing to do is take a bead to Best Buy, buy a memory card, and test out their cameras....take pictures of your bead and see the results. Thats what I did. The camera I have is no longer available anymore, but when I need a new one its what I plan to do again. I actually went to my local camera store ( not a chain store ) and I used their memory cards, and tested their cameras....I then had them print out the pics and I picked the camera that did the best job.