Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-11-17, 5:18pm
Frit frit and more frit!

Default Specific bead release recommendation needed please!

Hiya
I am currently using dip n go sludge or bucket o mud, both have been fine for the beads I usually make. However, recently I have been making long (2-3") gravity beads. As I am using gravity, the beads get VERY hot and stick like crazy to the mandrel. I've managed to get them all off so far but have ended up with many bent mandrels, and the ends of my beads are getting a bit cracky and crumbly. They have reasonable ends so the only reason I can see for the damaged ends is the sheer force neede to get them off the mandrels! Any help would be great...
SAM xx
Old 2006-11-17, 8:03pm

I have good luck with Alice's bead release. It comes in a big tub dry (and lasts for a long time) and you just mix with water. I used my old release bottle for this. It cleans out of the holes easily.

www.alicesstainedglass.com/release.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Become a fan on Facebook:

Last edited by Lara; 2006-11-17 at 8:06pm.
Old 2006-11-17, 8:24pm
In search of her path....

I found fusion great for beads like this as well.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2006-11-17, 10:14pm
PyronamixK

I like the Fosterfire Heavy Duty bead release. It holds up to a fair amount of abuse. Make sure you heat it before you apply your glass.
Old 2006-11-18, 4:59am
the Evil One

I use Foster Fire and Fusion mixed together.
Sandra

Old 2006-11-18, 9:50am
Frit frit and more frit!

Thanks guys! Anyone else with recommendations?
SAM xx
Old 2006-11-18, 9:57am

I mix them all together!!!!!! Fusion Bead Separator, Foster Fire and Bucket of Mud!!!!!! Works Excellent!
Andrea

Old 2006-11-18, 10:03am
Crazy tool making guy....

The most easy-to-release bead releases I've tried are Foster Fire and Kragg Mudd. BOM is good if you twist the bead first.

-Jeff
Old 2006-11-19, 7:01pm
Missing presumed fed

Another recommendation for Alice's as a very easy-to-release bead release. It's also inexpensive. You buy a big tub of powder and it lasts forever. I mix it to about the thickness of pancake batter, or maybe a little thinner. (Don't leave any lumps, though.)

Alice's is not flame dry, so remember to dip your mandrels enough ahead of time to let them dry thoroughly before you want to use them. Don't try to get the bead release glowing -- just warm before applying glass. As with any bead release, avoid repeated heating and cooling or the release will crack.

If the ends of your beads are cracking, you might also be letting them get a little too cool -- easy to do.
Old 2006-11-20, 1:40pm

If you mix Kragg and Bucket o mudd together, man it is nice!
you only need a very small amount of kragg. After about a week the whole jar becomes "kraggish" and from them on I only refill that jar with Bucket o mudd. (I mix them in a separate jar)

Old 2006-11-20, 2:02pm
ManBearPig

I use either standard Foster Fire or Sludge Plus. I tried two different batches of heavy duty Foster Fire, and while they worked well, both dried out completely a week after opening them.

Old 2006-11-20, 2:21pm
Embracing My Wonkiness

I mixed Foster Fire and BOM together about a week ago when the BOM was getting low and I wanted to stretch it. I would guess I mixed about half and half. I think it's fabulous! You can abuse the heck out of the glass and the release doesn't break on the mandrel. But like magic, after annealing, I'd say 9 out of 10 beads come right off the mandrel with just a twist of the bead. I had no idea others were doing this but I just love it! I'll forever be mixing the two now.

Lil
Old 2006-11-20, 3:33pm

I like Flame dry and fusion bead seperators... But thats me.... Just because these work for me doesn't mean that it will work for you. Just go ahead and purchase a few differnt types and try them out.. mix them up... keep track of how much you use though when mixing so if you find a formula you like you can reproduce it later... thats the only way that you will truly find what works best for you..

just trying to help
Gary
Old 2006-11-20, 10:11pm
OY and Psyche Junkie

Have you tried ZippZ! bead release from ZingZ? Nice and smooth, cleans out of the bead completely and holds great! I haven't had any crumbling while working. I do a lot of pressing and twistie swirls and have had no problems with it. Their website is: www.zingz.net

Cheers
Kathy

Minor with one concentrator

Old 2006-11-21, 12:48am
Plays With Fire

Thanks Kathy, glad to hear ZippZ! worked so well for those beautiful beads of yours! Feels great being even a small part of work like that!

Hi Sam,

I found and responded to your similar GH thread earlier tonight (pretty late in the UK by then) and left more details and some links there for your perusal.

ALSO....!

Any interest in a brand new optical-grade polish that completely removes diamond file scuff marks and renders transparent bead holes absolutely, positively, glowingly, hauntingly, can't-stop-starin'-and-put-'em-down crystal clear? We've just now completed final testing, and I still can't believe the results. Absolutely amazing clarity, pretty much the "holey" grail of transparents.

Stay tuned, you'll hear more details over the next few days, but for now I've got to catch a little sleep. If I can stop staring at this dang bead, that is...

John

Old 2006-11-21, 7:28am
Satake Woman!

I love the Zippz for long beads. I have a little bottle of the polish, and it is super too! I'm going back to all the transparent beads I made with BOM and polishing up the holes.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2006-11-21, 7:29am
ManBearPig

Has anyone tried the zippz with boro?