Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2007-07-27, 3:28pm
lov'in life!!!

Default Torch Woes....:(

I wanted to ask everyone here, that works on an oxycon, a question. When you begin getting everything ready to start making beads. What's the first thing you do, besides turning on the oxycon and letting it warm up? How do you light your flame. Do you turn your oxy off at the torch?

This is what I do. I let my untis warm up for about 5 mins. Then, I usually turn them off at my torch, than I dial in my propane and light the torch. Once that's done, I slowly dial in my oxy.

Now, what I'm trying to figure out here is, do you turn your oxy knob on your torch all the way open and just make sure it's adjusted properly at the unit? Or, do you just dial in a little bit of oxy at the torch and adjust the knob on your oxy unit? Does any of this even make sense?

My problem is this. Every time I go to reduce something and I turn my oxy down and my propane up at the torch, I have a flame that shoots straight out the side of my cudda. It's really starting to get bad and it's pissing me off. I clean this thing every time I'm done with it. I open my valve all the way on my torch and adjust it at the unit. I'm just wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if something is wrong with my torch.

Any Lynx users out there? Do you like your torch? I would LOVE to try one out and see the difference in these torches side by side and see which one I liked better!

I am SO frustrated!!!

The past is history...the future is a mystery...today is a gift...that's why
we call it the "Present".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-07-27, 7:30pm

I open mine a the torch all the way.
G.
Old 2007-07-27, 7:33pm
Dangerous Woman

I my Lynx!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2007-07-27, 10:13pm
Super Duper

I have a lynx with a og-15, and when the torch is off, I always leave the green knob open (oxy). I just walk in, hit the oxygen, turn on the propane, turn the oxygen off at the torch, light the torch and start working.

I have never had any problems with leaving the oxygen generator on, and turning it off at the torch (but I don't normally do that).

I always adjust my oxygen at the torch, but its normally full on all the time.
Old 2007-07-28, 5:12am
lov'in life!!!

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is, do you leave it set on your machine and just adjust it at the torch? I am supposed to put my machine at 8, on my two M-15's. Now what I notice is, when I don't open my torch oxy all the way up, my pressure on my machine falls down, so to keep it at the 8, I have to have my torch all the way open.

I'm thinking something is wrong with my cudda

Thanks everyone...I may have to bite the bullet and purchase a used lynx to do the comparison.

The past is history...the future is a mystery...today is a gift...that's why
we call it the "Present".

Old 2007-07-28, 5:06pm
Super Duper

I just set my Og-15 to 12PSI, 9lpm (When the lynx is fully open) and leave it alone, It's in a different room so I have no idea what the dials are doing.
Are you sure that the pressure is falling when you turn down the torch? It is normal for the volume (Lpm / CF/h) to fall (since you are slowing the flow of oxygen).
IMO, as long as it works the way you want it to, it doesn't matter what the pressure/volume on the concentrator is doing.

Now, the flame shooting out the side of the torch is very weird. Is it like the side of the torch is leaking? Could you get a picture?

Last edited by RyanTheNumberImp; 2007-07-28 at 5:08pm.
Old 2007-07-28, 7:40pm

Krissa,
I just got a Lynx and I love it, and I think you would, too.