LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-06-25, 8:27pm

Default 2 torch/propane questions

I am setting my torch back up in my brand-new-shiny-made-from-scratch Fiber and Flame Room (when it is totally finished it will have cool pink falmes on the walls around my torch area!), after four months of no torch. My husband and I finally got everything connected tonight. It seems to be working pretty well, but my propane regulator made a tink sound when we took off the factory installed nipple (it was very hard to get off - two men with tools making very intense "grunt grunt" noises). The valve part works ok, I just can't tell how may psi's are going on. I also have a shut off valve before the regulator, if that makes any difference. I want to know if I can just use it as is, turn the knob on the regulator until the flame looks right and then just use the shut-off valve, or if I need a new regulator that tells me exactly where I am. If I absolutely have to get a new regulator, can I use it as-is for a few days until I can get one?

My second question is that my flame has these funny flashes of regular looking fire, as opposed to the pretty blue flame. They are very small and come from different ports each time. Is that related to the regulator problem? I haven't made a bead yet. Will the little flashes impact my beads - making them sooty or something? Since it is a new line and the propane is traveling underground quite some distance, do I just need to let the line run a bit?

I really really really want to make beads tomorrow when I get home from work.

thanks,
-molly
Old 2007-06-26, 10:16am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotty tree View Post
I am setting my torch back up in my brand-new-shiny-made-from-scratch Fiber and Flame Room (when it is totally finished it will have cool pink falmes on the walls around my torch area!), after four months of no torch. My husband and I finally got everything connected tonight. It seems to be working pretty well, but my propane regulator made a tink sound when we took off the factory installed nipple (it was very hard to get off - two men with tools making very intense "grunt grunt" noises). The valve part works ok, I just can't tell how may psi's are going on. I also have a shut off valve before the regulator, if that makes any difference. I want to know if I can just use it as is, turn the knob on the regulator until the flame looks right and then just use the shut-off valve, or if I need a new regulator that tells me exactly where I am. If I absolutely have to get a new regulator, can I use it as-is for a few days until I can get one?
aaaah... What is regulator type and what is it "connected" to..... Generally you should have a output pressure gauge on regulator to indicate what pressure you are set to....

Its common for brass to brass threaded connection to "tink' or squeal or protest when tightening or loosening them..... Bigger question is did you damage regulator body by holding improperly while exercising bodily force on it....

Quote:

My second question is that my flame has these funny flashes of regular looking fire, as opposed to the pretty blue flame. They are very small and come from different ports each time. Is that related to the regulator problem? I haven't made a bead yet. Will the little flashes impact my beads - making them sooty or something? Since it is a new line and the propane is traveling underground quite some distance, do I just need to let the line run a bit?

I really want to make beads tomorrow when I get home from work.

thanks,
-molly
It could be that your regulator is not happy, but being its is in different ports a times it leads me to believe its dirt in you lines, maybe your hoses if deteriorating internally and shedding bits of rubber.... Were lines purged for dirt and metal filings before last connections were made.... Distance underground should NOT be a factor unless there is lots of dirt in piping....

I also hope that your regulator is not in studio if you have full tank pressure from for tank going into studio before your regulator.... You should have a 10 to 20 psi intermediate regulator at tank and then adjustable regulator inside studio...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-06-26, 2:29pm

Default Molly's husband...

We do have a regulator at the tank and one outside before it comes into the house. I can't tell if I'm not getting enough pressure to show up on the guage or if I broke the guage. Hopefully I can borrow a gage to put on the line right before it goes into the torch.

If the under ground lines are contaminated is there a way to purge the dirt? The rubber hoses from the guages to the torch are brand new.
Old 2007-06-26, 3:35pm
Gentleman of Leisure

I need to know the PSI rating on regulator at tank and where propane enters house to advise you further.... Other wise I'm just guessing and it doesn't mean anything..

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal