Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-09-12, 8:18am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Default Boro sculpture classes?

Anyone know of anyone who teaches them?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-09-12, 10:41am
ManBearPig

What do you want to learn?

Old 2010-09-12, 12:04pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

How to do little frogs or somesuch. I really want to learn heat control and when I am at home playing all I feel like doing is beads because I don't want to "waste" glass

Old 2010-09-12, 12:22pm

I know you asked about classes specifically, but I thought I would also mention the Crystal Myths videos. There is a series of 5 videos on creating sculptures. I have seen 2 of them and they are almost all done in clear.

Also, Flametree Glass (Atlanta, GA) has workshops on sculptural work. I've traveled there for a one-on-one with Lance and they are great people.

Download Bails Made Easy & Homefill adapter tutorials free.
Old 2010-09-12, 4:52pm
Borovangelist

I think Mickelson does critter classes occasionally.

Chris is right though, you can start with some of the Lewis Wilson videos as a starter.

|
|
Old 2010-09-12, 5:43pm
ManBearPig

You're going to be in Asheville in a couple weeks, right? I can show you some stuff then. I'm not an expert by any means, but I can show you what I know...

Old 2010-09-13, 9:50am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
You're going to be in Asheville in a couple weeks, right? I can show you some stuff then. I'm not an expert by any means, but I can show you what I know...
I won't be there. Was not in the cards for me this time.

Old 2010-09-13, 11:03am
Happiness is....

Debbie,
Go to the gldg, http://www.talkglass.com/forum/index.php and hang out for a bit and someone there should live nearby who would be willing to trade skills? maybe. I dunno, but boro folks are really cool too. good luck.

A Crickett and 2 5lp oxycons
Old 2010-09-13, 12:29pm

Robert Mickelson teaches great heat control for boro sculpture - his classes have a theme so you will end up making things along that theme, but the knowledge is transferrable to anything you want to make. I took a 3 day course from him last fall at Flame Tree in Atlanta, and am planning on taking his nature forms in May - https://flametreeglass.com/index.php...sh8cmaajeic1d2
Old 2010-09-13, 12:42pm
Playing with Fire!

We hosted Robert Mickelsen for a sculptural class in June... It was an amazing class, and yes we did frogs too. Here is the class description:
- June 28-29-30
Critters and Varmints
Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday

This three-day workshop will explore freehand sculpting techniques to make small but intriguing creatures in flameworked borosilicate glass. Students will work at their own skill levels on subject matter of interest to them and develop skills and techniques suitable for success. Subjects will include but are not exclusive to insects, spiders, lizards, frogs, fish, birds, etc. We will experiment with plant forms to provide a context or an environment for our "critters". There will be extensive hands-on instruction and demonstrations.

This class would be an excellent introduction to borosilicate glass for those who are accustomed to working with soft glass. Open to anyone with one or more years of experience either in hard glass or soft glass.

Playing with Fire!
Old 2010-09-13, 12:51pm
Borovangelist

If it makes you feel any better, I still can't do a decent swan

|
|
Old 2010-09-15, 6:32am
Boro Brat

Robert Mickelsen is amazing, both as an artist and a teacher. I *highly* recommend a class with him if you have the opportunity. He knows glass. You will have fun, too!

Old 2010-09-15, 9:26am
senior citizen lampworker

Hi Yall,
My name is Mike and I have been a boro lampworker for 38 years. specializing in sculputral work.
I am available for classes. I have a small studio near Dallas, TX

A YouTube video I made:
Old 2010-09-15, 10:59am
Boro Brat

Hey Mike! Nice to see you pop up!! I haven't seen ya post in a while!

Old 2010-09-15, 1:59pm
product of the universe

Hey glassdog, I would like to get one of your chow with the ball sculptures. I have a chow and it really reminds me of her. How does one acquire one?

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2010-09-15, 2:20pm

The one you see on my website is about 2.5 inches tall and sells for $45 plus $5 for shipping.
I accept credit cards by calling 903-885-9728
PayPal at mike@marshglass.com
Checks and money orders sent too
Mike Marsh
4175 FM 1537
Sulphur Springs, TX 75482

Thanks for your interest.
Mike

A YouTube video I made:
Old 2010-09-16, 5:47pm
product of the universe

Thanks Mike i just sent ya a payment. Can't wait to see it in person.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2010-09-18, 4:50am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdog View Post
Hi Yall,
My name is Mike and I have been a boro lampworker for 38 years. specializing in sculputral work.
I am available for classes. I have a small studio near Dallas, TX
Ohh hey Mike! When I have to be in Texas to appear at U's trial I might be looking you up!!

Old 2010-09-18, 9:46am

Great Debbie,
I dont have any set curriculum. We will start with what you want to learn, and go from there. A fee of $25 per hour, includes personal instruction, torch time, glass and supplies and an occasoinal diet coke.
Contact Rose Leslie (here on LE) for reference to the quality of the class.
My contact informations is on my website. feel free to contact me for more info.

A YouTube video I made: