No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-06-10, 5:25pm
One Crazy Mama

Default Pixie dust

I bought a bunch of pixie dust samples a while back...I don't know how to use them. Sad huh?

just roll and flame it??

someone want to help me out????

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-06-10, 7:08pm
Fire Diva

Hi Sondra!! When I use pixie Dust I pour a bunch on a flat surface (a large graphite marver that I have) then I make the bead. After it is shaped, and when the bead is warm but not hot roll it in the pixie dust. If it is too hot the bead might distort its shape. Then I take a knife and hit the mandrel with it so the excess pixie dust will fall off. Reheat gently on the outside of the flame. Stick in kiln. It is really easy once you get the hang of it!! Don't forget to Show us pics when you make some, please!

Old 2005-06-11, 11:10am

Hello Sondra - I do pretty much the same as Fay only I put the pixie dust in a small spoon and roll it. Should give you pretty much the same results. My personal favorite is soft gold pixie dust on light topaz.

Here's a very cool chart (hope Kay doesnt mind if I post this link) showing how all the various pixie dust colors look on several different colors of glass.

http://www.listen-up.org/kitty/beads/pearl/charts.htm

Good luck - I know you will get the hang of it quickly.

Patty
Old 2005-06-11, 12:38pm
Piscean Fire Goddess

I do the same thing, make my bead, let it cool slightly then roll in the pixie dust.
I found using a shallow dish/spoon/egg cup worked the best to get to the edges of the bead.
Here is what I use to roll my beads in pixie dust as well as frit, I use the bottom side as it tends to be shallower. I have two different kinds, one that has a deeper smaller base and one that has a wider shallower base.

Hugs from Holland,
Sarah

- SJS Glasswork & Creations
Exploring a philosophical fantasy world.
Old 2005-06-11, 1:29pm
Princess of Pi

Wow, nice chart!
Old 2005-06-11, 2:43pm
Satake Woman!

Just a little careful note. Pixie dust is actually mica. It is easily picked up by the wind or a breeze. You don't want to breathe it! Use ventilation, and if you can wear a face mask. Geeze, I sound like I've been spending time at AGF.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2005-06-11, 8:05pm
CA Queen Bitch

Also...... if you want to add decorations on top of the pixie dust, you can roll the bead in a wet cloth to get off the excess, then decorate away!
~Suzy~

Being unstable and bitchy is all part of my mystique.

Peek A Boo!
Old 2005-06-12, 7:00am
Detail G-Mama!

I keep my pixie dust in babyfood jars. I roll the bead and mandrel around inside the jar and then tap it on the lip of the jar while it's still inside. I then heat it just enough to make sure it has melted into the bead.

Old 2005-06-26, 5:32am
Boro newb

Just picked up a respirator mask at a hardware store for this exact purpose yesterday. I bought a cheapo just to "test the waters". I'll get a better one when I have a bit more $$$ flow.
Old 2014-08-25, 7:25am

Thanks for the tips. Perhaps now I can take my mica out and have some fun.
Old 2014-08-25, 11:06am

I use a demitasse cup (or expresso) so that I can tilt it and get the most on the bead that I can in one swoop.

Barbara