No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-07-29, 10:43am
addicted to dichro

Default Any ideas what caused this?

I did not plan those cool bubbles in this bead. I grabbed a piece of regular old aqua stringer and it turned gray and ugly on the surface of my bead, so I encased it. The stringer must have been covered with some sort of dust or dirt because I haven't cleaned my work bench for a looong time. Anyone know how to purposely get this effect?
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-07-29, 10:58am
FatCat Mama

I can't help you Mandy, but I sure do love that bead!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.
Albert Einstein

Orange Cricket with 10L oxycon and NG
Old 2009-07-29, 11:01am
Flame Dames Rule!

Maybe try dusting a stringer with a bit of baking soda before encasing?

Love the bead too! *s*

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2009-07-29, 11:06am
I speak Murrini!

I'm with Sharon on trying to evoke that effect; I have also found that clear Moretti stringers that have lots of little bumps along the length have a tendency to bubble like this. I may try purposely putting little nicks (with a bastard file might do it) or a rough edge along the length of a stringer and that might make all those "tiny bubbles" appear when encasing.

It's a lovely bead - awesome "adversity to advantage" mentality and diligence!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-07-29, 11:43am
Lampworkaholic!

Looks like some of my bubbly Lauscha - it boils when I melt it, even when I work it cool. Maybe I need to think of it as adding interest to the bead - lol!

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-07-29, 3:28pm
Melting

I always get that when I use the cut end of a clear rod. The cut ends are bubbly. I don't know if that helps - could you imagine buying bundles of clear so you can use the first 1/4" of the rod?

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2009-07-29, 10:05pm
Hello?

If you want to purposely create bubbles take sandpaper and run it down your rod/stringer.

Old 2009-07-29, 10:18pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

could it be a seeded glass stringer? Moretti has seeded glass in clear, amber , pink and aqua

Old 2009-07-30, 4:35am
Lover of all things color

Hey Joe, that's an interesting idea. I'm going to try that later today. thanks,

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2009-07-30, 6:10am
He can do the origami

Mandy,
I make a pendant I call a "galaxy swirl" and part of the process is intentionally boiling clear or light aqua. It looks similar to the effect you have.

Otter
Old 2009-07-30, 7:13am
Torchabilitizimator.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvenueBeads View Post
If you want to purposely create bubbles take sandpaper and run it down your rod/stringer.
My thought exactly!
Make sure you wipe it down with alcohol afterwards to clear off the dust from the paper.....