Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2008-07-25, 6:54am
Judy "JJ" Jacobs

Default Torch & Oxycon problems

I recently purchased an M-10 Unlimited Oxygen concentrator and hoses/regulators for a new Nortel Minor burner. I am finally getting around to setting everything up and am having the following problems:

1. When the M-10 is turned on there is a "kicking" noise followed by a loud burst of air. This continues throughout operation and there is hardly any oxygen coming out of the torch. I've checked the connections between the torch and the M-10 and all seem OK--is this a normal noise and why is the output so low? Do I need a bigger unit?

2. The torch doesn't light. I've checked the connections between the tank and torch and they seem OK. The high pressure gauge shows a 7-reading and the low pressure gauge doesn't move. There doesn't appear to be any gas getting to the torch.....what should I check?

Thanks for your help,
JJ
Old 2008-07-25, 6:57am
Torchabilitizimator.....

Can you attach a pic of your connections and your guages?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-07-25, 7:03am
Judy "JJ" Jacobs

At the moment I don't have a camera to take photos....will see if I can borrow on to post photos.
Old 2008-07-25, 7:47am

It might be easier if you contact Jack directly, because he, I am sure, can talk you through everything.

Good luck.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Blog
Old 2008-07-25, 8:46am
PyronamixK

Disconnect the machine from the torch (hoses and all) and call Jack.

ETA: I thought I should add a little more... the reason I suggest disconnecting the machine from the torch is so that you have a starting point. Machines make noises and that kicking noise may or may not be normal for that machine. It would probably be helpful if when you call Jack, you were right next to the machine so he could hear what you are talking about. The burst of air noise sounds like the valve purge - which is normal for standard two-seive machines.

The M-10 is a 5 LPM machine. If you were to set the flow to 5 LPM (turn the knob so that the middle of the ball was on the "5" mark) and put your hand to the outlet of the machine, it should feel like something is coming out, but it won't be a whole whole lot.

Are you able to feel anything at all when it is connected to the torch and just the oxygen valve is open? If you can feel something come out of the face of the torch, then you should have enough to light it. If you shut off the oxygen at the torch just long enough to open the propane and light it and then turn the oxygen back on, you should be able to get a flame. If not, then the machine is just blowing air (really low purity) and there is a problem.

Don't worry, I'm sure Jack will help you.

Last edited by kbinkster; 2008-07-25 at 9:03am.
Old 2008-07-25, 8:59am
Torchabilitizimator.....

I used to have a minor, my Oxycon is a Devilbliss - So if you can contact the person you got the oxycon from that may help as previously stated - I had a problem with my oxycon the same as described and it was a matter of the brass fitting where you screw the hose onto the Oxycon was stripped and I had to order a new part - something small, so I did that myself I hope you can figure it out that sucks to have all of the tools and they just won't work right all together. Good Luck!

Old 2008-07-25, 10:14am
Judy "JJ" Jacobs

Thanks for the excellent suggestions, everyone -- I'll call Jack when I run home for lunch.....I'm dying to start using my torch and am hoping to get things resolved by the end of today.
Old 2008-07-25, 10:51am
PyronamixK

Quote:
2. The torch doesn't light. I've checked the connections between the tank and torch and they seem OK. The high pressure gauge shows a 7-reading and the low pressure gauge doesn't move. There doesn't appear to be any gas getting to the torch.....what should I check?
On your propane regulator, if there are two guages, one is probably the line pressure and the other is the tank pressure. The tank pressure part should be up there in the 100+ psi range, unless your tank is empty. Pick up your tank and feel of there is anything in it (the liquid propane will slosh a little inside the tank).

The line pressure gauge should be set high enough so you are actually pressurizing the line and getting propane to the torch. A setting of 5-10 psi is good for most regulators and the Minor des well on that setting. You control the actual amount of propane going through to the torch head by the valves on the torch, so setting it at 5-10 psi will not make you use more fuel than setting it at 2-3 psi will, but it will help keep your regulator from fluctuating if that is a problem.

If you are unable to get propane to your torch, make sure that you have propane in your tank and make sure that you open the T valve on your regulator to set your line pressure.

I usually keep the propane valve shut at the torch, then go to the tank and open the tank valve, then use the T on the regulator and turn it until the needle is on about 10 psi and then go back to the torch. When I open the torch fuel valve, and light the torch, the pressure in the line will drop and if I go back to the regulator with the torch running, I can see that and make adjustments, if necessary. Usually, though, I don't, since it doesn't drop very much at all and when set at 10, it's still high enough to avoid fluctuation even after the drop.
Old 2008-07-25, 1:31pm
Judy "JJ" Jacobs

Kbinkster -- I think you've solved the mystery! I'm still at my office (haven't had time to go home to call Jack about the Oxycon) but the T-bar makes sense.....I almost threw that little guy away because I didn't know what it was for but am glad I didn't. I'll give it a try tonight.

Thanks again for the pearls of wisdom--this forum and each of you rock
Old 2008-07-25, 2:43pm

Thank you Kim and Pam, I never got the call so maybe she got it. jack
Old 2008-07-26, 1:57pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassgypsy View Post
Kbinkster -- I think you've solved the mystery! I'm still at my office (haven't had time to go home to call Jack about the Oxycon) but the T-bar makes sense.....I almost threw that little guy away because I didn't know what it was for but am glad I didn't. I'll give it a try tonight.

Thanks again for the pearls of wisdom--this forum and each of you rock

I hope you're busy making glass this weekend.
Old 2008-07-26, 6:24pm
Judy "JJ" Jacobs

UPDATE -- I found the T-bar; screwed it in and voila! I've got gas -- and I mean the good kind I also allowed my oxygen concentrator to run for about 20 minutes to build up a good flow and am proud to announce I lit my torch AND made my first bead.

Thanks for everyone's expert advice--I really appreciate all of your help and especially the quick responses. Am now off to make beads all night!!

Thanks again,
JJ