Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-08-01, 6:22am

Smile How much glass

I am very new and I have been checking out different suppliers for items. About how many stringers and rods come in 1/4 pound.
Old 2008-08-01, 6:26am
Torchabilitizimator.....

It depends on the size of the rods....thickness and length Your best bet would be to ask the supplier you are buying from b/c sometimes the sizes are not consistant.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-08-01, 6:34am

Rods are generally 4 to 6 rods per 1/4 pound. Quite enough for a "sampling" if you're looking at odd lots, or special colors to "try out".
If you're after colors you'll want to use loads of (like, say, clear, white, black, ivory, clear stringers) then order a pound on those. Actually, I pretty much STILL order quarter pounds on anything I don't know I use loads of--except clear, white, black & the ivories!--I'd order more on my own specific favorites--yellow ice, lichen, specific pinks, edp, etc, but less on browns, etc. if I was actually in the place where I could "stock up" on glass!

JameyLynn @ Howaco Glass will let you order ONE rod of any color you just want to "try" as well--which is just fabulous--you can get 13" of glass & if you hate it, well, you're not stuck with a quarter pound of glass sitting somewhere that you don't really have a use for (great for those colors you might not use a whole lot of too!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2008-08-01, 6:48am

That's what we did when we started. A rod of everything 104 COE. And we learned that there are some colors, as Luna said, that you just have to keep a lot of. Keep an eye on the Sales Rack, they offer some great deals about once a month. Free glass, discounts, etc. Some vendors keep a continuous LE members discount. Just check around for stock and sales eventually you'll have a wall of glass too. I just added another shelving unit and two more fence rails for storage. Had to order all the CIM we were missing.
Old 2008-08-01, 6:51am

I am really just looking for colors. It seems cheaper to buy larger amounts but you can't compare prices if you have no clue how much glass is in a pound. I understand it will vary depending on length and thickness but I can get a general idea. I didn't want to order a pound of glass and think it was a good deal and end up with 5 rods. I also don't have anyplace to put glass at the moment besides a box in my parents garage. I live in an apartment for now and I cant even keep a little canister of Mapp in my apt much lest light a touch on my balcony.
Old 2008-08-01, 9:11am
Dances With Fire

frantz is running a great sale on lb discounts now! I know I'm in trouble! they are out of white vetro though! arghh!

crystal

Wouldn't it be nice if, whenever we messed up our life, we could simply press " Ctrl Alt Delete" and start all over?

Old 2008-08-01, 9:19am
Torchabilitizimator.....

Okay - asked Donelle over at Morrettiandmore.net and this is her response I do hope this helps.......

Hi Christina,

We ship the glass in approximately 13" lengths.

There are per 1/4#

About 20 or 22 rods for the stringer size 2-3mm.

usually 5 rods for the 5mm regular size rods.

10mm = 2 rods.

Public Shout out to Morretti and More!!! They have always been on point when I needed them!

Old 2008-08-01, 12:45pm

Typically 5-6 rods a 1/4. Our last shipment was mostly 6 rods per 1/4. That's the great thing about glass....only got 4 rods and one's really thick....pull stringers!