LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2007-12-29, 2:24pm
Grounded from da Torch =(

Default Wire Wrapped Ribbon Ends

I did several of these, and used some for jewelry here, and I really like the look of them, especially on necklaces not long enough to go over the head without a clasp. This makes it really easy to pop your own clasp on. For those not interrested in doing it yourself, I am going to go ahead and list the ones I made and have left in the sale rack. Though this this may seem relatively simple, hopefully someone will find all the photos useful.

Ok here goes.

This is what it looks like with a clasp.

This is what it looks like w/o a clasp.

This is a close-up of one end.

Step one. Take about and inch and a half to two inches of ribbon at the end, fold it into a "W" shape, lengthwise.

Step Two. Take that length of fold ribbon, and fold about half an inch or so over.

Step Three. I take a study hook clasp I made and slide it into the folded part.

Step Four. And then I take a needlenose plier and a length of 26G half hard sterling wire and cinch it as shown here.

Step Five. Then I take the hook and stick it through some heavy copper wire I have anchored to my trusty kitchen chair or other heavy object.. there's about a bazillion ways to do this..

Step Six. With everything anchored I pull it very taught with a really good grip on the plier. It's important that the plier doesn't slip as the silk and wire can be marred. Take the free end of the wire with the other hand and wrap the silk.

This is what you get at this point. I point my free ends inwards towards the center of the wrap, so when you tuck them in after trimming,they tuck the direction I want them to.

Step Seven. I grab a pair of flush cutters with the flat side to the coil/wrap and trim off the free ends as close to the work as possible, without undoing any of the work or cutting the silk.

This picture shows them trimmed off.

I feel it's important to tuck in the wire ends so that they don't scratch people's necks while being worn. Here's a pic of the offenders before being tucked.

Step Eight: Before I tuck in my wire ends, I take my flush cutters (scissors would be fine) and cut off the extra silk left sticking out after wrapping.

Step Nine. I take a pair of crimping pliers, since they have a nice rounded shape inside already, and lay them against the offending wire end, and only apply just enough pressure to tuck in just that part.

After all is said and done, hopefully the ends of the ribbon look just like this.

Thanks to those in the other post with the ribbon dying ideas. This has been fun.

Last edited by shari; 2007-12-29 at 2:31pm.
Old 2007-12-29, 2:38pm
Satake Woman!

Cool idea! Thanks for the tut!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2007-12-29, 3:22pm
Senior Moment

Thanks for the tut! Good tips.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-12-29, 6:10pm
Anyone need some spacers?

Thanks for the tut, I just love the look of these.

Old 2007-12-29, 6:13pm

Thanks for the tut. Great pix and very easy to understand.
Old 2007-12-29, 10:15pm

I would not have thought of this and I love it. Thanks.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2007-12-29, 10:35pm
Burning Fingers!

That's fantastic - thanks so much for sharing!

/
/
/

Old 2007-12-30, 8:26pm
daughter and I

Thanks Shari! I'll give it a try.

Seaside Fire Designs

Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just swish and spit.
Old 2007-12-30, 9:02pm
Grounded from da Torch =(

I think it's neat that so many people like the way they look with the wire on them. I wasn't sure it was going to go over well. I didn't realize the stipulations for adding something to the sale rack, so I set up an etsy store today. That was a lot easier than I expected. I'd love to see how it looks on the serged ribbons.

Added.. Geeze, I'm such a dork.. LOL .. after all of that I just realized I could have added to the garage sale thing. I knew I saw that somewhere...

8M w/ SM7 tip, 1 oxycon, house pressure propane wo0t.

Last edited by shari; 2007-12-30 at 10:25pm.
Old 2007-12-30, 9:58pm
Ex-lurker

Great idea and thanks for the tutorial.......

"Life is a journey - travel it well"
Old 2008-01-01, 2:05pm
Rare Florida Native

Really like the great step-by-step instructions and photos.

Now I can do something with the the ribbons and threads I have staring at me and me not sure quite what to do with the ends......

Old 2008-01-02, 2:59pm

Very nice! I love the close up pictures!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-01-02, 7:52pm
Happiness is....

well that's so easy now I guess I gotta make something with my ribbons!
thanks

A Crickett and 2 5lp oxycons
Old 2008-01-22, 7:02am

Nicely done! I missed this when it was originally posted

J.
"Hatred is never ended by hatred but by love, and a misunderstanding is never ended by argument but by tact, diplomacy, conciliation, and a sympathetic desire to see the other person's viewpoint." ~The Buddha | “We are all humans and none of us is more human than the other.” Romeo Dallaire "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up." ~ Rev.Jesse Jackson]
Old 2008-01-23, 5:42pm
Dangerous Woman

Great tut thank you very much!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.