Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Old 2013-06-13, 3:58pm

Default Devardi Hot Head

Is it the same? It's a lot cheaper... I feel like I read somewhere that it was slightly different, but has anyone been able to try them side by side? They look identical...

Thanks for any insight!
Max

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-06-13, 4:26pm
Slogan Challenged...

I have tried that, I found it to be a bit temperamental and the flame was smaller. It leaked constantly. I still used it for several months until I invested in a hot head. Good grief, what a difference. I won't even use the other one for a backup but it could have just been that one that I had. YMMV.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2013-06-13, 4:57pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

I've been using true-blue HotHeads for nearly 12 years now. I've only had to buy two in that time. My first one crapped out after 5 years of DAILY use - second one is still going like a tropper. For $30+, it's an excellent investment and I highly recommend them.

Old 2013-06-13, 6:39pm
Senior Moment

I picked one up to try out since I usually use a HH. I didn't think it was too bad, but it's not a HH. It seems to run a more fuel rich flame then a HH, which has a pretty fuel rich flame to begin with. I keep it as a back up just in case (had a defective HH once and wound up with no torch for a bit; it was torture I tell ya LOL).

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-06-14, 6:33am
Gentleman of Leisure

The Devardi torch ($14.95) is a Magna Torch MT245... IT is exactly the same as latest version of the Hot Head (without orifice) .... Made by same company, but HH is just repackaged under its own brand name and priced way up there...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2013-06-14, 2:56pm
Slogan Challenged...

That wasn't my experience at all, Dale. I thought it was pretty rotten. I wonder what difference the orifice makes, such as flame size? It was more fuel rich also. But, that is good to know as perhaps it was just my own experience. I would still say get something under warranty or you will pay for cheap twice.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-06-14, 5:44pm
Gentleman of Leisure

The HH torch has not had a orifice in it for something like 5-8 years now..... What does that tell you......

IF you can get OLD HH with orifice it will have much better control over flame.....Again there is message here by having old HH with orifice....

Dale

Old 2013-06-24, 7:16am

Quote:
Originally Posted by allicat View Post
(had a defective HH once and wound up with no torch for a bit; it was torture I tell ya LOL).

Alli
Maybe I'll order two hot heads! Thanks to everyone for the responses - I'll probably just dish up the extra $35 for the real deal. It seems like a safer way to go and I don't want to muck about with shipping more than I have to... haha.

Cheers,
Max

Old 2013-06-29, 11:34am

On second thought - this page: http://www.hotheadsource.com/index.html

seems really shady... has anyone ordered from them? Everything about their website screams some overseas dealer trying to look official... labeling the homepage as "Index" and not being able to use proper English.

"We willing supply guidance"
"email us if you have any problem with your Hot Head"
"Don't taking your Hot Head Torch apart"

All taken from the Hot Head info page: http://www.hotheadsource.com/HHtorch.html

I was going to try to get the official thing from the supplier... but I might just get it from a glass supply resale company like sundance or mountain glass art.

Old 2013-06-29, 12:39pm
Senior Moment

*nods* That's Sarah's site. She's the HH expert and she's great, even if her website hasn't been updated in ages. When I got a defective one, this is the site I contacted her thru, and she replaced it no problem.

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-06-29, 6:17pm
Slogan Challenged...

I had a quick response from them as well, and they had great customer service.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-06-29, 6:25pm

I have a HH setting here that I do not need.
Not sure which one it is as I have never used one.

Can anyone help identify mine and find a buyer>

Name:  Hot Head.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  28.9 KB

Last edited by Raimond; 2013-06-29 at 6:28pm.
Old 2013-06-29, 7:10pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Look at end that screws on bottle, if it has a "cork" gasket its probably old model... Most desirable...

Dale

Old 2013-06-29, 7:39pm

No cork, it looks like a rubber gasket.