LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-01-08, 8:17am

Question stupid glass cutting question

Ok, I'm going to sound really dumb here...
My sister bought me some glass by the pound and the store would not cut it down to thirds for her, so she's shipping it full length. I've never had to cut any rods before. What's the best way to cut up the rods? Isn't there a knife like thing that scores the glass? Is that the best way to go?

Thanks-
Ana
Old 2007-01-08, 8:31am
ManBearPig

First, I've never heard of anyone who wouldn't cut the rods down for you. Tell your sister to give me a call or visit my site. I'll gladly cut down anything she orders.

There are a couple options to cut them...

1. A disc rod nipper - looks like a pair of pliers with two metal wheels on the end. Just put the rod in between the wheels and squeeze.

2. Score and snap - you can use a scoring tool (which is basically a knife sharpener) or a spare hacksaw blade, or a metal file, or anything that will score the surface of the glass. Score it a little (doesn't even have to be all the way around) and then hold the rod in both hands with your thumbs right behind the score, then break it apart.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-01-08, 8:51am
Missing presumed fed

How thick are the rods? And are we talking boro or soft glass? Shipping charges for full-length rods can be ridiculous, and if the rods are normal pencil-thickness soft glass rods (not big honking thick boro marble stock or something), they're really easy to cut. I'd suggest you sweet talk your sister into cutting them before shipping. Buying tile nippers is likely to be cheaper than paying shipping for full-length rods.

I don't like the disk nippers that Cosmo described. I know they're supposed to be better, but I can never get them to work. Regular old tile nippers that you can get at a hardware store (Home Depot) or at a craft place that sells mosaic supplies work fine for me, and they're cheaper than the disk kind.

If it's clear boro, unless it's pretty thin, you'll need to do the score and snap method. I was taught to wet the score before snapping (spit on your finger and wipe it across the score).
Old 2007-01-08, 12:25pm

Thanks guys. Yes, Cosmo, I thought that was a little strange about not cutting the rods. Not great customer service.

I called my sister and told her what you guys said, so if it is really expensive she's not going to send them yet. She'll either cut them herself or send them home with my parents in February (if I can wait that long!).

thanks again-
Ana
Old 2007-01-08, 12:41pm
I've got goodies!

Where is your sister? Maybe someone nearby can cut them for her.

LE members get 5% off all purchases!!
Coupon code LE

Old 2007-01-09, 9:32am

Hi Shawnette-
My sister is St. Paul/Minneapolis. Well, her address is St. Paul. She's checking shipping prices today, and won't ship if it's crazy expensive. If worse comes to worse, my parents are going out for a visit next month.

thanks!
Ana