No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-02-22, 8:55pm
I need more boro stuff

Default Crack :(

I made Corina's Quark. This is the first time I made it.
It's approx 1" tall x 1" dia. Mum really like the bead, but it cracked in 4 places 2 weeks after and the cracks are getting bigger and longer.

Core is Vetro clear, factory made and my own murrini, my own twisties, handpulled gold aventurines. All encased in new reformulated soft Laucha.

Garaging at 960 (This is the first bead that I made on that day so I garaged it at least more than 4 hours), annealing at 970 for 1.50 hours, ramp down at 60 to 680, hold for 1 hour, ramp down 300 to 400. Shut down the kiln. I have brick kiln.

None of other beads crack on that day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-02-22, 8:59pm
Formerly FishBulb

Darn about the crack!

I can offer no help, but I just wanted to say it's a LOVELY bead and I do hope you get this figured out! I'd love to see more of these.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2009-02-22, 9:00pm
Life is change. Love it

I have never had any luck with Lauscha clear. Did you have silver glass in it?

All I can suggest is that next time you put it in the kiln really glowing.

Old 2009-02-22, 10:14pm
Unmedicated since '62

what a shame! its gorgeous - you can't stuff up cos you're my encasing guru!

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2009-02-22, 10:34pm
I need more boro stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
I have never had any luck with Lauscha clear. Did you have silver glass in it?

All I can suggest is that next time you put it in the kiln really glowing.
Nope, no silver glass on this bead. None of other beads that encased in laucha cracks though.

LOL Deb, I have a very good encasing teacher. Don't miss out Jan C's class if someone asks her to teach.

Old 2009-02-22, 11:39pm

Oooh what a pretty bead Yunita!
Maybe next time try a Lauscha core instead of Vetrofond. Or all vetrofond clear.
Good Luck!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-02-23, 7:20am

Doesn't lauscha prefer to anneal @ 980? Isn't that what CarolAnne anneals at? Or am I remembering that wrong?

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-02-23, 9:27am
Mary Lockwood

Lauscha clear is gorgeous, isn't it? So sparkly and clean...but she will stab you in the back if you don't watch her..the fickle bleep!

I quit using lauscha clear years ago, but if you are seriously attached and won't switch, put it in the kiln a bit hotter (still a low glow to it) and garage/anneal a bit higher--like 980.

~~Mary

Old 2009-02-23, 10:41am

Yep Luna and Moth. Carol Anne suggests 980. Her schedule is around here somewhere.
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-02-23, 1:19pm
I need more boro stuff

Thanks, maybe I should bump it up to 980.
But only this bead that cracked.

And I used vetro clear as core before and they survived.

I'm wondering if the aventurine that causing it? I just noticed that all the cracks are around the aventurine stringers.

Old 2009-02-23, 1:51pm

That could be. I was going to suggest that maybe one color was off. So many are and we are never told!
Paula

Like US on Facebook !