Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2008-01-04, 4:45pm
I speak Murrini!

Default Quick "Perfect" Critter Eye Tutorial

Hi Everyone!

I originally posted this is Emma's "Plop the Penguin Tutorial" to offer a suggestion to make great eyes for ALL your cutest critters. I had such good PM feedback that I thought I'd post it here on it's own for all to see. Many of you know this method already, but if not, PAY ATTENTION (Giggle!)!!!! You're critters are about to take on new life, and this can really give your best babies a truly finished, "professional" look:

NOTES:

First, I use Intense Black Stringer for pupils - it's a little pricey, but it goes a LONG way. (Available from several vendors; I get mine from LBSupply at this link: http://www.lbsupplys.com/catalog.htm...vand&category=)

Second, this is a slight modification on the standard "Stacked Dot" method; here's what I do:

1. Place dot of opaque white at each eye location. Melt in somewhat (not all the way) and flatten just a bit with a marver.
2. Place dot of transparent color (eye color of choice) over white. (Note, if just making white eyes with black pupils, skip this step.) Match the volume of the opaque white with this dot of transparent color as closely as possible and melt color into the white, but not flat. This will leave a very small ring of white around the color, but avoids that "dear in headlights" look - unless that is what you're trying to achieve (giggle!)
3. Place a large dot of clear atop the the transparent color - this can be on the larger side (larger than the volume of either the white or the transparent color you choose), which will act like a lens a bit; heat the clear but don't melt it in - instead, melt it nearly "round".
4. Here's the trick! Take your Intense Black Stringer, and put a very small dot atop the clear where you want the pupil to be. Yes, this means putting the pupil on top of the clear! As you melt in the dot of IBS, it will spread a bit, which you can control to the size you want.
I struggled with making "equal" and "neat" looking eyes on animals and critters until I tried this "pupil on top" method - it was reviewed in Sharon Peters' booklet...I'm very happy with it! It adds a lot of character and expression, especially when you can control the "direction" the eyes are looking!

Here's an example of the "look", featuring my "Baby Aliens" - Popcorn version (x2) as well as a little Green guy and Blue Guy, too:

See what I mean!?! Consistent and cute as heck! Hope this helps some of you!!! Have fun and, if you'd like, please post your critters using this method here!

DeAnne in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro

Last edited by theglasszone; 2008-01-04 at 5:14pm. Reason: Yes, I can spell...slow down, happy fingers! DB
Old 2008-01-05, 10:49am

HA! Them's some cute Aliens! Great tip DeAnne. I have never heard of this and can't wait to get to my torch to try it out.....hmmmm now all I need is a lottery win to fix my car, so I can get to the studio

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-01-05, 12:27pm
Borovangelist

Awww, those are adorable!!!

|
|
Old 2008-01-08, 2:16pm
just plain silly

Cute as can be! Thanks for the tip DeAnne.... I'm going to try this!

Suzanne
Old 2008-01-08, 4:27pm

he he they are cute, will try it out my self.

my blog:
Old 2008-01-08, 7:32pm

That's great & thank you. Now maybe when I make eyes they won't have cataracts.
Old 2008-01-15, 4:47pm

My DH says my critters look like they're wearing bifocals!! Now maybe I can get some better eyes on those little babies! Thanks!

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2008-01-15, 10:22pm
Grounded from da Torch =(

OMG those are so cute! Thanks for sharing!

8M w/ SM7 tip, 1 oxycon, house pressure propane wo0t.
Old 2008-01-17, 10:51am
Beadmaking.nl

I felt immediatly in love with them. I will show mine if they're ready. Thanks!!!!

Old 2008-03-10, 5:07pm
Tonbodama Murrini maker

DeAnne,

I just love them critter eyes!!!!
Great job and tut.

Chrissy
Old 2008-03-10, 6:52pm
Damn Yankee!

DeAnne, those are too cute!!

Old 2015-11-12, 8:29am
It's all about the color.

Just a quick little bump.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2016-02-01, 9:16am
Katherine

Thank you for this great info Yesterday I made some eyes for a glass sculpture I am making.

Old 2017-12-31, 2:44pm

I love the baby aliens! Thanks for the eye tips
Old 2018-01-20, 4:27pm

Super cool alien... thanks...