Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2009-07-26, 6:00am
Isinglass Design

DeAnne, very nice tut. I'm also a hothead user, so all info is highly appreciated. I'm so bad- I use an old hand towel to cover my torch holes- don't try this at home!
Here's an old forum that discusses some of the Lauscha issues. It's about viscosity, which seems to be the issue with some of the 104 coe glasses not playing well together. I didn't realize just how old it was til I went looking for it. http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=62346

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Laurie
Old 2011-08-02, 6:35am

Hi DeAnne! This tutorial is great and I tried to follow very closely last night, but I have a problem I am hoping you (or any other lampworkers!) can shed some light on. First off, definitely a lampworking newbie, but I jumped in head first after my initial lessons and set up a home studio. I am working on a HH and trying to use light iris gold frit over a dark red color. So, the bead I made last night came out of the kiln with the frit looking more metallic black than gold, frankly it hardly looks gold at all! I was wondering if this result would suggest I over or under reduced the glass? I kept it in the "reducing flame" (acheived per your tutorial) for about 20 seconds. Any advice would be wonderful and so much appreciated!!
Old 2011-08-02, 7:44am
I speak Murrini!

Hi Megan!

Wow, a resurrection of this thread! Thank you...

On your Iris Gold issue, I've found that it takes barely a blush of reduction heat to make that glass turn the "golden" color...much longer than a few seconds and yes, you're color will heavily reduce and turn to that metallic black. So I say try again, and this time just very lightly waive the bead in the reduction flame once you have the IG applied; then when you see the light reduction occur, STOP and stick it in the kiln!

Hope you'll show how it came out too...

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2011-08-03, 11:40pm
Formerly EagłesĿegacy

Hi De,
I actually have a question too. I tried your tut a few nights ago and my Kronos didn't strike. My nephew was using the glove for me until he couldn't stand the heat. Does the type of fuel matter? I've been using propane canisters.
Old 2011-08-10, 5:33am

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Hi Megan!

Wow, a resurrection of this thread! Thank you...

On your Iris Gold issue, I've found that it takes barely a blush of reduction heat to make that glass turn the "golden" color...much longer than a few seconds and yes, you're color will heavily reduce and turn to that metallic black. So I say try again, and this time just very lightly waive the bead in the reduction flame once you have the IG applied; then when you see the light reduction occur, STOP and stick it in the kiln!

Hope you'll show how it came out too...

De
Thank you so much!! Can't wait to try it tonight So glad to bring the thread back to life after a couple of years!! I will report back, hopefully with some success!!
Old 2011-08-12, 8:33am

De,

I tried the 2-3 second blush in the reduction flame and still got the metallic black finish. I am thinking that maybe while I am melting the frit into the bead to get a round surface I am also reducing, even though I am not covering the intake holes? Is there a certain place in the flame I should round out my bead before covering the holes to avoid this? Or maybe that's not the problem at all? Again any of your expert insight is much appreciated!! Thanks so much!!

Last edited by meganlee; 2011-08-12 at 10:26am.
Old 2012-03-15, 10:14pm
I speak Murrini!

Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry it's taken me months and months to see both AidensFlame and Megan's most recent postings Dang it, I wish you guys would have shot me a PM! If I don't see the thread and reply within a couple days, could you please give me a doink on the noggin!?! You have my permission!!!

Anyway, Megan, I believe there may be a slight reduction occurring in the regular Hot Head flame even when the holes aren't covered, so not sure how to advise you on avoiding it, but I would think it wouldn't really be enough to cause problems. I would try different areas of the flame of your particular torch and see if you can get enough heat to round out your bead and then try reducing again. Am I understanding you correctly in that the result is a black coloring of the iris gold glass, and it has a metallic sheen? Hum...not sure about this! Or how to advise you!

And AidensGlass, on the Kronos question - it may be Kronos is a "striker" rather than a reduction glass. Just so you know, you will have problems "striking" any glass with a Hot Head do to the fact that Hot Heads just don't give off enough concentrated heat to strike!!! The method in this Tutorial is for "reduction" glass only. I will have to go check and see if Kronos is a striker or a reducer...

Since it's been some time since both of these questions were posted, I'm wondering - do you two have updates? Have either of you been able to resolve your questions?

Please let me know...

De

Old 2012-08-22, 8:16pm
I speak Murrini!

Giving this old Tutorial a bit of a *BUMP* by posting a cool set I made a while ago with Psyche using this same technique. Of course it features "skulls" () but I wanted to show what great colors you can get....

Old 2012-08-23, 5:07am

Thanks De for the tutorial. I have to go find gloves and get some glass.

Naos pictures are gone darn it. I was anxious to see the yellow.

Thanks, I hope more folks will chime in with photos.

De the skulls are very cool.. love the color..

Cher
Old 2016-02-05, 4:53pm

Smile Reduction on a HotHead

DeAnn, I printed out your WONDERFUL tutorial quite a few years back, and I think that it is absolutely required reading for HotHead users. I have finally bought a Carlisle Mini CC, but I am still trying to find a used, rebuilt Oxygen Concentrator. My fascination with the "silvery, metallic look" on glass started with you. You are one of my 'heroes' in the glass world to this very day!
Smiles, jdleigh in Sarasota