No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2012-06-15, 2:43pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Talking FREE Tutorial - Denim/Olive Tigers

HotHead Friendly!

This one will come without photos because it's pretty simple and I can't take photos while I work anyways!

Supplies:

1 rod of Dark Ivory (yes, different batches and different manufacturers create different final effects so play around)

1 Silvered Ivory stringer - use a factory-pulled Dark Ivory stringer and roll it over 1/3 sheet of silver leaf. Marver the silver onto the stringer rod and flash in the flame for extra adhesion. This is the same type of silvered Ivory stringer I use for the Dragon Scale tut.

1 hand-pulled stringer 1mm thick of either Lauscha Steel Blue or Lauscha Olive

Directions:

1) Make a base bead of Dark Ivory. It should be more of a disk shape that you will melt into a nice donut later.

2) Wrap a stripe of silvered Ivory stringer down the middle of the bead. Do not melt in.

3) Wrap a stripe of Steel Blue or Olive stringer directly down the center of the silvered ivory stripe.

4) Now melt it all in, letting the glass droop and move as you shape the bead. This spreads the glass and creates the "tiger" design to the edges of the bead.

5) Stop there or shape as desired.

TIP: Thicker or thinner stringers of Steel Blue or Olive create lighter or darker effects but can mess up the design - so I prefer the 1mm stringer.

That's it - have fun! Lots of to all of you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by *Naos*; 2014-03-22 at 6:50am.
Old 2012-06-15, 2:53pm
Serenity Now!

Very cool and generous Amber.

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-06-15, 2:58pm

Yummy! Thank you Amber. I worked on dragon scales last night. Waiting for them to come out of the kiln now.

Marie

All my children have paws
Proud Member of "YOU PEOPLE" 9.13.11
funny mofo

Those are gorgeous, Amber! Thank you for the tut!

"Sinners have soul too"

Thanks Amber... I figured that one out while I was doing the dragon scales.

Old 2012-06-15, 3:04pm

You're so generous, Amber, thanks - I really like this style.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2012-06-15, 3:04pm
Happiness is....

Oh I like those, thank you for sharing.

A Crickett and 2 5lp oxycons
Old 2012-06-15, 3:05pm
Jacqueline Parkes

O
M
G!
I have been waiting so long for this, how generous of you, thanks so much!

Old 2012-06-15, 3:11pm

Thanks Amber , you are so sweet to share your techniques.
Old 2012-06-15, 3:14pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen-mom View Post
Thanks Amber... I figured that one out while I was doing the dragon scales.
I saw that! ~wink~

Old 2012-06-15, 3:15pm

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!
Old 2012-06-15, 3:18pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I am typing from the couch as I am suppose to rest today but I so want to go and make some beads now. I can see these as beautiful earrings and maybe a matching bracelet as well, Yum yum!

Old 2012-06-15, 3:20pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

You REST, Jacqueline! The tut will always be here.

Old 2012-06-15, 3:24pm

Thank you for sharing, Amber.

Georgia
Old 2012-06-15, 3:32pm

Amber,how generous of you.Thank you.

Karen
Volkano Exotik

ripzz
Old 2012-06-15, 3:36pm

Awsome.
Old 2012-06-15, 3:41pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Naos* View Post
You REST, Jacqueline! The tut will always be here.
Yes mom.......but but but........I am thinking of other colors to use as well. Oh and in focals and ummm add some flowers and oh my.......

Old 2012-06-15, 3:45pm
Loving learning

I love these, thank you so much for sharing the technique with all of us here.
I can see I need to investigate Lausha glass when enough time has passed since my last forays into buying, but for now I think I'll try it with a few Effetre just to see what happens.
Old 2012-06-15, 3:48pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

I've tried Effetre but it doesn't seem to react as well as the Lauscha does. If you need Lauscha, try glassdaddy.com

Old 2012-06-15, 3:48pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
Yes mom.......but but but........I am thinking of other colors to use as well. Oh and in focals and ummm add some flowers and oh my.......
Keep dreamin' and rest...

Old 2012-06-15, 4:02pm
Oh, baby, I m'know...

Thank you for sharing, Amber.

Old 2012-06-15, 4:06pm
Glassy Broad :-)

Amber you rock!
Thanks for this

Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2012-06-15, 4:09pm
Living Life Creatively

Ooh, I've been drooling to learn this technique for a long time, Amber! Thanks SO much for your generosity in sharing it with all of us! *Ü*

Quick question: when you make your SIS, do you mean you roll the actual stringer in the silver and so it gets applied to the bead where the silver is still all exposed on it? Or do you first melt in the ivory down into a ball and roll it in the silver, then melt in and pull back into a stringer?
-
-
-
Old 2012-06-15, 4:17pm
Sorry for party rockin'

WHOA!!!!
Awesome!! Thank you so much for sharing

Old 2012-06-15, 4:29pm
dances with ideas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriB View Post
Quick question: when you make your SIS, do you mean you roll the actual stringer in the silver and so it gets applied to the bead where the silver is still all exposed on it?
Hi Lori. Do this. Don't melt it until you apply it to the bead. (I only know from Amber's dragon scales tutorial.)

Old 2012-06-15, 4:36pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Quote:
Ooh, I've been drooling to learn this technique for a long time, Amber! Thanks SO much for your generosity in sharing it with all of us! *Ü*

Quick question: when you make your SIS, do you mean you roll the actual stringer in the silver and so it gets applied to the bead where the silver is still all exposed on it? Or do you first melt in the ivory down into a ball and roll it in the silver, then melt in and pull back into a stringer?
Lori, you take a 2mm Dark Ivory stringer that you order directly from any glass vendor you like.

Roll it over 1/3 sheet of silver leaf (not foil) so the silver is coating the outside of the glass only. Roll it longways so it covers about 1/3 of the stringer.

Marver it into the stringer then flash through the flame to make it stick to the outside of the stringer but don't melt it into a ball. Some of it will burn off but most of the silver will go onto the stripe.

Then use it on the bead to make a stripe down the center.

Here's a photo...

Old 2012-06-15, 4:48pm
Unmedicated since '62

hmm...thats giving me an idea about a design i'm working on..

thanks amber!

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-06-15, 4:53pm
Living Life Creatively

Ahhhh…I get it now! LOL Thanks so much for the extra visual, Amber! *Ü* Can't wait to give this a try soon—and I even have one lonely rod of Lauscha Steel Blue I ordered a while ago and haven't tried yet! ;-D
-
-
-
Old 2012-06-15, 4:56pm

Awesome tut. One day I so hope.

Rose Leslie
Old 2012-06-15, 4:56pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Quote:
Ahhhh…I get it now! LOL Thanks so much for the extra visual, Amber! *Ü* Can't wait to give this a try soon—and I even have one lonely rod of Lauscha Steel Blue I ordered a while ago and haven't tried yet! ;-D
You're going to want more... I promise.

Tags
acid goddess, amber rules!, denim tigers, free how-to, free tutorial, get etched, great karma for you, hothead tutorial, inspirational, lampwork beads tut, olive tigers, so generous, stand still