TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2015-08-19, 8:26pm

Default What are the challenges while machining Graphite?

Graphite machining can be challenging. Especially if you are not prepared to work with it's unique and messy properties. As a custom graphite machining facility as well as a supplier of graphite material blanks, we have answered may customer questions over the years about the difficulty of machining graphite correctly. The following is a list of five key concepts to keep in mind when attempting to successfully machine synthetic graphite.more details:
http://buygraphiteforsales.blogspot....machining.html.
hope it helps!
,graphite machining.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tel: +86-400-996 1105. Mobile phone: +86 139 3756 8001
Old 2015-08-20, 5:40pm

i will continue to share what i know
Old 2015-08-20, 6:03pm

I made this big marble mold.

Easy stuff, it machines easy.
Attached Images

Old 2015-08-21, 5:58am
Phill

How spendy was your block to start with Snoopdog?

What kinds of qualities does graphite come in and what are the price differences between graphite that is only good for sculpture work and something that I might use for making molds to make a thousand impressed glass art works over the next ten years?

Chasing around a corporate website hunting up these kinds details while dodging a sales pitch buried in technical jargon that never leads to a price per cubic foot with a hardness table is not my idea of a useful afternoon.

Finding out that I need a $300 hepa filter and a $600 ventilation system after I have carved a one pound block into a nice 4 oz sculpture with the other 12 oz of fine dust all over my home and my hair and my lungs won't be a satisfying experience either.

I am interested but Google is no help and this may be my only source of information.
Old 2015-08-21, 6:50am

Be cautious, graphite is as bad as breathing coal dust, and trust me, it's messy to clean up.

-Donna

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2015-08-21, 10:09pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedslug View Post
How spendy was your block to start with Snoopdog?

What kinds of qualities does graphite come in and what are the price differences between graphite that is only good for sculpture work and something that I might use for making molds to make a thousand impressed glass art works over the next ten years?

Chasing around a corporate website hunting up these kinds details while dodging a sales pitch buried in technical jargon that never leads to a price per cubic foot with a hardness table is not my idea of a useful afternoon.

Finding out that I need a $300 hepa filter and a $600 ventilation system after I have carved a one pound block into a nice 4 oz sculpture with the other 12 oz of fine dust all over my home and my hair and my lungs won't be a satisfying experience either.

I am interested but Google is no help and this may be my only source of information.
I dont know what grade it is but I can tell you I got it for $20 from a tool and die maker who machines it into an electrical discharge machined electrode for burning out tool steel injection molds used to make plasic parts. Its fine grained and rather tough.

He had a bunch in his scrap pile.

I made a marver for my cheetah from a block I paid $10 for.
Attached Images

Old 2015-08-22, 1:09am
Phill

Snoop? Did you machine screw threads directly into the graphite or did you use a glue and if so what kind please?

Or did you go with both?
Old 2015-08-22, 11:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedslug View Post
Snoop? Did you machine screw threads directly into the graphite or did you use a glue and if so what kind please?

Or did you go with both?
Tapped the 1/4 20 holes and they hold very well. no glue.

Of course you don't torque them crazy but it taps very easy and is strong.

I bought epoxy and never needed it.

I did not like the torch marver and I use it just sitting on the bench.
Attached Images

Old 2015-08-24, 12:30am

@Speedslug,graphite materials could be divided into three types:edm graphite,isostatic graphite and Molded Graphite.each has different Properties Data,and each can be applied in different industry.so you may try different graphite materials for your glass art works.
Attached Images

,graphite machining.
.email:
Tel: +86-400-996 1105. Mobile phone: +86 139 3756 8001