LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Old 2006-10-24, 9:37am
Miss my BoBo Griff

Default Rose murrini tutorial

It is pretty simple to make the rose. here is a supply list for a pink rose with red outline.

2 pink pastel rods
1 red pastel rod
1 green rod
1 black or brown rod
1 thick old scummy clear rod
2 chop sticks or 1/8" mandrels
BBQ mashers or equivilant

Heat the end (under 1/2") of a pink rod, gently squish into a hotdog shape
very thinly case in red make sure you DO NOT cover the tip of the rod. Take the other pink rod lay down a strip of glass about 1/3 the way around the hot dog, the middle part of this layer being slightly thicker than the beginning and end. Thinly case with red.starting about 1/3 of the way on top of the one you just did start your next petal and repeat step 1. continue this all around and round til you build this up as thick as you are comfortable pulling. When you have as much as you want then lay down a good stripe of green then a narrow stripe of black then green again for a leaf. Cap this with a good amount of clear and attach the chop stick/mandrel. Burn off the pink glass and do the other end. Heat your glass up by directing the heat on one side then the other but not directly in the middle, make sure you are turning your handles evenly YOU DO NOT WANT TO TWIST YOUR DESIGN. When the glass is nice and evenly HOT and moving come out let it get a little skin and pull, WITHOUT TWISTING. There you go.
try to make sure you don't cover your end so when you get lost on what petal you are on you can look at the end of the rod and see where you left off.
after each petal smooth the glass a little before the next is started so you don't trap bubbles. Try to keep your bundle fairly round shaped, I do this with the big mashers very gently.
when heating up your gather at the end come out of the heat on and off tho let the heat base sink in and build.
this is what you get, hope you like and can understand these instructions
chris ann

Old 2006-10-24, 9:58am

Thank you, Chris Ann.
Great tutorial.
Old 2006-10-24, 10:19am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Cool I love this stuff! I just don't have the patience to DO it. Nice work, and nice tut!

Also Available in
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-10-24, 5:20pm
~ glass whisperer ~ lol

Ooooo -- those look like cabbage roses. Cool!

Thanks for the tutorial!
Old 2006-10-25, 5:40am
Flossy-Flossy

Nice....Thanks!

Old 2006-10-25, 7:17am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

I'm a little confused about the 1/3 part & need a picture or something......please.

Vivian

-

Old 2006-10-25, 11:47am

When you look at the cane from the end, you can see that each "petal" is formed with a lump of glass, in this case pink. Just that lump covers approximately a third of the circumference of the cane, just pick out an individual petal, and look at whats under it as a solid rod, that might better explain it.
Old 2006-10-25, 12:03pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

Thanks Koko!! I blew up the picture & now I can see what you're talking about.

Vivian

-

Old 2006-10-25, 12:06pm

fantastic! thanks!

Old 2006-10-26, 6:00am
Anna Duhame

Thank you for posting this! You make it sound so easy! They look so complex!

Old 2006-10-26, 8:43am

Chrisann, I like this tutorial and I'd love to try it, but for the life of me I don't get the "squished hot dog" thing. I can't picture the shape and how I orient it...
Can you help me please? thanks & hugs
Lynnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisann
It is pretty simple to make the rose. here is a supply list for a pink rose with red outline.

2 pink pastel rods
1 red pastel rod
1 green rod
1 black or brown rod

very thinly case in red make sure you DO NOT cover the tip of the rod. Take the other pink rod lay down a strip of glass about 1/3 the way around the hot dog, the middle part of this layer being slightly thicker than the beginning and end. Thinly case with red.starting about 1/3 of the way on top of the one you just did start your next petal and repeat step 1. continue this all around and round til you build this up as thick as you are comfortable pulling. When you have as much as you want then lay down a good stripe of green then a narrow stripe of black then green again for a leaf. Cap this with a good amount of clear and attach the chop stick/mandrel. Burn off the pink glass and do the other end. Heat your glass up by directing the heat on one side then the other but not directly in the middle, make sure you are turning your handles evenly YOU DO NOT WANT TO TWIST YOUR DESIGN. When the glass is nice and evenly HOT and moving come out let it get a little skin and pull, WITHOUT TWISTING. There you go.
try to make sure you don't cover your end so when you get lost on what petal you are on you can look at the end of the rod and see where you left off.
after each petal smooth the glass a little before the next is started so you don't trap bubbles. Try to keep your bundle fairly round shaped, I do this with the big mashers very gently.
when heating up your gather at the end come out of the heat on and off tho let the heat base sink in and build.
chris ann

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2006-10-26, 9:25am
Miss my BoBo Griff

Lynnie,
I would just be a tube kinda shape squished down a little with a curve in the center. You don't really even need the curve. The way I actually do mine is make the tube flatten it, thinly case, heat, crease the center, heat, fold in on itself. It is a little harder cause it's a fairly small pc of glass but it makes that nice curl in the center of the rose. But even a round tube shape will work, just play with it.
Hummingbird, this murrini is very simple that is why I posted it first. The thing that makes it so simple is that you do the entire thing at once without having to add components into the mix. It does however give you the gist of what a murrini is, ie a built up picture.
koko, thanks for the explanation, perfect!
chris ann
Old 2006-10-28, 9:52am
Senior Moment

Great tut, thank you! I am going to try it soon!

Old 2009-04-19, 12:12pm
I'm not Barbie.

does anybody have pics made with beads using this tut? I'd love to see them!
Old 2010-04-02, 5:39am

PICTURES??? please???? I'm in an exchange and learn with photos..........thank you.

Old 2010-05-15, 1:10pm

Wow!!! Thank you soooooooooo much!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 2011-08-01, 12:18am

Bump! To see if someone will post pics!

Old 2012-05-06, 3:28pm
what's a senior moment ?

Bump - I'm going to try this one either tomorrow or Tuesday. Will post pics then.

Old 2012-05-10, 5:52am
Formerly FishBulb

This is a great idea! I never thought to try rose murrini like this. Thank you for the tutorial! I can't wait to try it.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2012-05-17, 4:47am
Miss my BoBo Griff

Wow, just saw that people still like this old tutorial I posted years ago. Don't play much with soft glass anymore or I would post pics. Might pull out some soft glass next week and see if I can still do it lol, could b worth pics just to see how funny I look screaming at the melty stuff

Old 2015-10-11, 9:11pm

Bumpity bump.

Great little tutorial this one!

Custard...it's just like hot icecream!
Old 2015-10-12, 5:57am

Chrisan, thank you for this simple tutorial! Going to try it today actually!

And by the way, love your Dane!
Old 2019-05-07, 10:47pm

Quote:
Re: Rose murrinin tutorial
essay agency

2 pink pastel rods
1 red pastel rod
1 green rod
1 black or brown rod

Thanks for the tutorial! I'm just a beginner, you know. But I've already a workshop in my garage (planning to work with roses design mostly). I began with gardening and botany articles on TheFullBouquet Blog (wrote several guides on gardening as well) and later found rose murrini stuff and got excited.

__
Author: Cabbage Roses Compared To Traditional Roses

Last edited by FrankLucido; 2019-05-07 at 10:51pm. Reason: typos
Old 2023-10-20, 5:04pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankLucido View Post
Thanks for the tutorial! I'm just a beginner, you know. But I've already a workshop in my garage (planning to work with roses design mostly). I began with gardening and botany articles on TheFullBouquet Blog (wrote several guides on gardening as well) and later found rose murrini stuff and got excited.

__

Oh thank you, thank you Thank you. I’ve been looking for a rose murrine tut for so long I’m very grateful to whom ever wrote this I’m a beginner and have struggled with this one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2023-10-20, 5:06pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankLucido View Post

__

Thank you thank you thank you. I’ve been looking for a rose murrine tut for so long I’m so grateful that you wrote this. I’m a beginner and have been struggling with this one so I am so very grateful to you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk