Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2005-09-21, 4:41pm
Evil Genius in Disguise

Thank you, Mary!

I can't wait to get home and try this!!! Something tells me the next two days are going to be very, very, veerrrryyy loooonnngggg...

--Meri

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Neighbors suck. Burn her house down and make beads out of her windows."--Shawnette
Old 2005-09-21, 10:56pm
novembersfyre everywhere

This is an amazing tutorial! Thank you so much for sharing

Old 2005-09-22, 5:35am
Detail G-Mama!

Well I got to make one yesterday! I place transparent colored dots first then put white over those and then melted down. managed to trap some air in there but oh well! The picture was too dark so I tried dropping the background out by playing with Adobe!
Attached Images

Old 2005-09-22, 7:44am
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutti-frutti
Thank you ever so much. I still cant make a round bead to save my life, but i sure did the implosion thing.
I love finding new tut's here, thank you thank you thank you
Will try tio get a picture before it's too dark outside.
Katja

How do you clean them out I seem to have some hollow spots inside?
If you have hollow areas inside your bead, you are condensing the disk too quickly. Slow down and let it crawl down the mandrel. If the disk skips part of the mandrel before it touches down again, it will leave a hollow spot. You might also try not tilting the mandrel so steeply.

Gorgeous colors!!!

Aren't they fun to make??

If you just mean you have areas of clear glass between your bands of color and that you can see the bead hole, you just need to be careful about how you clean them. I use a diamond coated bit in a cordless dremel. I clean them a good long time.

To avoid the clear areas between the color bands, apply more dots, closer together on your disk, and don't let the bead crawl as far down the mandrel.

I think you did awesome!

~~Mary

Old 2005-09-22, 7:46am
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Ricketts
Well I got to make one yesterday! I place transparent colored dots first then put white over those and then melted down. managed to trap some air in there but oh well! The picture was too dark so I tried dropping the background out by playing with Adobe!
I love that!! I didn't think to put transparents first, then white. I did make one with an encased stringer though. It was some kind of dark teal, aqua or blue over white. Here is a pic:

Great job Anne!!!

You will be addicted in no time!

~~Mary

Old 2005-09-22, 1:27pm
Metallic Flame Studios

OMG! I did have the general rules right then from your HINT Mary!!! OMG, OMG, thank you for posting this as a tut! I'm gonna PPP them again tonight!!!

And TY's to RhapSuzy also for pointing my butt here.... duh, a tut in the tut section... whodathunk.....

stac

Kickin' it on a Knight, a Betta, a 'Cuda, and a SmithLittle with 3 Oxycons, Playing with Fire Since February 2004
Check out our new journey into Metal (yes, including tools) and glass...

Old 2005-09-22, 3:57pm
Chelle Shocked

Excellent tutorial Mary.
Thanks for sharing it with us.
Am going to give it a go today.

Mini CC & Oxy Con
Old 2005-09-22, 4:33pm

Maryeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! You rock girl! I did 3 of them today and while they're not super duper fab or anything, they're waaaaay better than the off mandrel ones I butchered.
Thank you, thank you!!!
Attached Images

Old 2005-09-22, 6:59pm

Ooohh..... Mary, you are a goddess... I'll have to give this a shot.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2005-09-23, 5:49am
Detail G-Mama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth
I love that!! I didn't think to put transparents first, then white.
The very first one I tried, I did it the opposite, and um...well all it came out was white! Doh!

Quote:
You will be addicted in no time!

~~Mary
Yes indeedy!! I'm going to try some more tomorrow maybe if our power dosen't get knocked out from Rita!!

Old 2005-09-23, 7:56am
lov'in life!!!

Mary...I can't THANK YOU enough for that tutorial! I have three in the kiln right now. I have a huuuge show tomorrow and have been racking my brain about what to make for focal necklaces. I sure hope you don't mind that I made them to sell at the show, oh and they will have tags on them that say..."Moth Implosion Beads". I can't WAIT to get them out of the kiln.

If you aren't teaching classes, you really should be. You give very good, precise, wonderful to follow directions. And, not too mention, you are very giving of your knowledge. Thanks again

The past is history...the future is a mystery...today is a gift...that's why
we call it the "Present".

Old 2005-09-23, 8:02am
Mary Lockwood

Hi Krissa!

Good luck at your show! I hope they go over really well for you. And don't put my name on them...YOU made them, not ME! But if you wanted to tell people who told ya about it, that would be nice.

Hugs.
~~Mary

Old 2005-09-23, 10:38am
NW Oregon

Thank you Mary. You give very clear instructions! Now That I've tried it, I understand more about how the thickness of the disc, the placement of the dots and the melting of the disc affect the outcome. This technique will be fun to play with. I got a little too excited when I encased the flowers, some of them moved....but I'll show my two attempts anyway.

Jennifer
Highland Beads
Old 2005-09-23, 10:48am
CA Queen Bitch

Ouuuuu...awwwwweee...............I love that second one Jennifer!!!!!!!!

Being unstable and bitchy is all part of my mystique.

Peek A Boo!
Old 2005-09-23, 12:45pm
Gabby's Nest Lampwork

Thanks Mary, your tutorial was super. I made one last night and it turned out a lot better than I expected. Here is a pic of it, don't know what happened to my digital camera. Just couldn't get the pic right
Kyung
Attached Images

Old 2005-09-23, 1:27pm
Mary Lockwood

Jennifer, that first one your posted is an excellent example of what the implosions can do.

Now you know that the further you stretch the bead, the skinnier the implosion bands will be, you know that the thicker the disk, the wider the space at the top before the implosions begin. You are so right...the more of these you make, the more you will know how to predict what they will look like before you even begin to proceed with the implosion part. You did a great job...they look nice and even too!

Great job on encasing the flowers. I can really tell you were having a good time with this!

Yay!!!

~~Mary

Old 2005-09-23, 1:28pm
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpastino
Thanks Mary, your tutorial was super. I made one last night and it turned out a lot better than I expected. Here is a pic of it, don't know what happened to my digital camera. Just couldn't get the pic right
Kyung
Awesome job Kyung!!!!

I love it. You did a great job and even though the pic is a little fuzzy, I can see you got a nice implosion going on and your shape is very nice. Way to go!!

~~Mary

Old 2005-09-23, 3:33pm
lov'in life!!!

Here are my implosion beads. Mary, I have to thank you again! They are totally addicting!

I do have a question though. What should I charge for them? I am probably going to just hang them from a SS box chain.

Old 2005-09-23, 3:36pm
lov'in life!!!

Here's two more

Old 2005-09-23, 7:28pm
Metallic Flame Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLC Beads
Ooohh..... Mary, you are a goddess... I'll have to give this a shot.
Nik,

maybe you could figure out how to make it into an "encased" sheepie....

teehee,

(running away giggling.....)

Kickin' it on a Knight, a Betta, a 'Cuda, and a SmithLittle with 3 Oxycons, Playing with Fire Since February 2004
Check out our new journey into Metal (yes, including tools) and glass...

Old 2005-09-23, 7:49pm
CA Queen Bitch

Holy Shitola!!!!!!! Those are awesome Krissa!!!! I LOVE them both!!!!!!

~Suzy~

Peek A Boo!
Old 2005-09-23, 8:52pm
lov'in life!!!

Why...Thank ya Suzy

Old 2005-09-23, 11:59pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsexpressions
Nik,

maybe you could figure out how to make it into an "encased" sheepie....

teehee,

(running away giggling.....)
I was trying to figure that out - how did you know!? I figure a sheep on ice... Or a carbonite sheep, since everyone's Star Wars crazy. Except I hated that happening to poor Harrison Ford, I don't know if I can do that to a sheep.

~:
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2005-09-24, 5:04am
Celtic Glass Craft

Talking Welsh Implosion Bead

Hey Mary - credit where credit is due. It worked even from here where we live in caves over the Welsh moutainside.

Another fine technique I have in my armoury ...that makes ???

Thanks very much - Ray in Wales
Attached Images

Old 2005-09-24, 5:53am
CA Queen Bitch

Great job everyone! Mary! These are so addicting!!!!!!!!
~Suzy~

Peek A Boo!
Old 2005-09-24, 7:16am
Anna Duhame

Mary, I love your tutorials...you are so generous with your knowledge! I can't wait to try this because I have been flower obsessed lately (obsessed with making them decently ) ......I was wondering, are you still working on a HH? AND if so how to you get your Raku to look so pretty?......I followed your example and went to bulk propane (thank you--I have never been happier), and with a little tweaking it works fine for me...but raku is not being my friend........any tips?

5 star tutorial...can't wait to see your next one!

Old 2005-09-24, 2:10pm
NW Oregon

I played with this some more yesterday. Yes, Mary, I did see that the thicker my disk, the more clear space in my bead So, I tried a bead or two with a colored base on my disc. One started with green transparent and one with blue transparent. THEN I thought.....If I keep doing this with florals *what would happen if I make a thin barrel and build my disc on that? There is a bead in these pictures that has blue adventurine going all through the center; that's the one I tried. Then I realized my implosion shape could be better so I heated the interior as I heated the "tire tread" and that came out better but I overdid the bead with flowers and some stringer that I combed. I should have stopped while I was ahead....but hey, that's how I learn!

Thanks again Mary; for the help and encouragement...and thanks Suzy for the compliment!

Jennifer
Highland Beads
Old 2005-09-24, 4:04pm
Yup.

Out of this world!!! Thank you, Mary!

~
~
Old 2005-09-24, 8:26pm
Mary Lockwood

[quote=FlameDancer]Here's two more

Wow, Krissa! Those are gorgeous. I love the raised flowers on there. Adds a whole new dimension.

As far as price goes...I have zero clue. It all depends on your market and how big the show is.

If it gives you a ballpark mine sell for an average of $25-$30 on ebay.

~~Mary

Old 2005-09-24, 8:29pm
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLC Beads
I was trying to figure that out - how did you know!? I figure a sheep on ice... Or a carbonite sheep, since everyone's Star Wars crazy. Except I hated that happening to poor Harrison Ford, I don't know if I can do that to a sheep.
I can't wait to see what you do with these Nikki!

I saw some of your beads at the studio today and I LOVE what you've been doing with twisties! You had one there that was white on one side and orange or red twisties on the other side. The white had grooves in it that were totally cool!!!

Jan got a bunch of customers just as I was leaving or I would have snatched that one!

~~Mary